Back button not returning to previous position?

chocochip9

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
hey guys, this is my first post on the androidcentral forums :-[ i know i will probably get alot of "use the search function" answers, but to clear the air i reallly could not find any threads about this.

anyways,

i've just returned to Android after about a year and a half and I never remember having this "issue" with my old galaxy s2x. But i am finding that whenever i am scrolling down a list, facebook, instagram, or even a webpage, and i hit the back button, it always starts me from the very TOP of the page again. I am used to just hitting back and having it remember my position halfway down or wherever i was. is this just an android thing?! or something else?

any help would be much appreciated! thank you!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That back button behavior doesn't sound right. On Facebook, if I scroll down and select a post, it becomes kind of a popup window. Then if I press Back, the window goes away, and I'm still at the location I scrolled to. If I press Back from the scroll list, I simply exit out of Facebook. What version of Android are you using?

Posted via Android Central App

chocochip9

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That back button behavior doesn't sound right. On Facebook, if I scroll down and select a post, it becomes kind of a popup window. Then if I press Back, the window goes away, and I'm still at the location I scrolled to. If I press Back from the scroll list, I simply exit out of Facebook. What version of Android are you using?

thank you for the reply! i actually realized that it wasn't a back button issue. the apps were in fact holding my scroll position! guess i'm just getting used to the whole back button thing coming from an iphone haha.

i do have another question though, may as well ask while here. when i have a lot of notifications and i pull down my notification menu it lags quite a bit. is this normal? on android 4.2.2

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed this behavior on Facebook as well, but I don't visit a ton of different sites on my phone and haven't noticed it on the others I do visit, nor do I visit the other sites the OP listed. With fb specifically, when I click a link to another fb page, I've noticed the url doesn't actually change (a manual refresh after the fact updates the url, though). It's like the timeline is a frame within the main page and going to a different page only changes the frame but not the full page. Whenever I try to go back, it takes me to the top of the prior page. I've also noticed it reloads the entire page because when I scroll down, it has to reload the lower parts of the timeline that didn't fit in the initial page load as I scroll down, even when they were loaded prior to leaving that page.

I've seen this in the built in stock browser, another AOSP browser, Chrome and Firefox on my Bionic with 4.1.2

chocochip9

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed this behavior on Facebook as well, but I don't visit a ton of different sites on my phone and haven't noticed it on the others I do visit, nor do I visit the other sites the OP listed. With fb specifically, when I click a link to another fb page, I've noticed the url doesn't actually change (a manual refresh after the fact updates the url, though). It's like the timeline is a frame within the main page and going to a different page only changes the frame but not the full page. Whenever I try to go back, it takes me to the top of the prior page. I've also noticed it reloads the entire page because when I scroll down, it has to reload the lower parts of the timeline that didn't fit in the initial page load as I scroll down, even when they were loaded prior to leaving that page.

I've seen this in the built in stock browser, another AOSP browser, Chrome and Firefox on my Bionic with 4.1.2

yeah i have noticed this happening as well. really annoying when it refreshes when i was so far down -_- not sure if it's really a back button issue but definitely a facebook issue in general. i've noticed that the app is very buggy/laggy on android. i can live with it though

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I didn't even try the full fb app because of the reviews. The messenger app was ok, but I'm not updating because the new reviews are looking bad now too.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
i do have another question though, may as well ask while here. when i have a lot of notifications and i pull down my notification menu it lags quite a bit. is this normal? on android 4.2.2

Hard for me to say, because I typically don't let lots of notifications build up! In fact, I often turn off notifications except for email and a couple of other things--I really don't need notifications for Facebook, Google+, or most other apps.

Raviteja1237

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
hey guys, this is my first post on the androidcentral forums :-[ i know i will probably get alot of "use the search function" answers, but to clear the air i reallly could not find any threads about this.

anyways,

i've just returned to Android after about a year and a half and I never remember having this "issue" with my old galaxy s2x. But i am finding that whenever i am scrolling down a list, facebook, instagram, or even a webpage, and i hit the back button, it always starts me from the very TOP of the page again. I am used to just hitting back and having it remember my position halfway down or wherever i was. is this just an android thing?! or something else?

any help would be much appreciated! thank you!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000