Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to remove an account from the EMail app in Kitkat? "Remove Account" option has vanished.

I have added an exchange account to the Email app, and now dont see any way of removing the account. In earlier versions of the Email app, there was simply a "Remove Account" option at the very bottom of account settings which I dont see anymore. Can anyone help me with this?

Default Re: How to remove an account from the EMail app in Kitkat? "Remove Account" option has vanished.

Main App Drawer-->Settings-->Accounts

you don't remove it from within the App anymore. you remove it from the main phone Settings.
    Thanked by 2:

Default Re: How to remove an account from the EMail app in Kitkat? "Remove Account" option has vanished.

I don't see a way to remove the account there either. Please be more specific.

i'm also having difficulties removing email accounts after i've added them. i went into the app drawer, settings, and accounts but when i open up the corporate or imap email account there does not appear to be an option to remove the account. i can see for other accounts, such as facebook, that there is an option to remove it. is this option located somewhere else for email accounts? i'd like to remove/delete my yahoo email account.

thanks in advance for your help.

I had succeeded when got to setup->applications: EMAIL (choose All) and then "Clear Data".
    It clears All accounts.
    Thanked by:

This worked for KitKat OS 4.4, thanks.

A bit more detail:
    1. Main Apps Menu > Settings > ACCOUNTS > Corporate
    2. Select the desired account (should have a green 'sync' icon to the left of the account name)
    3. Next screen should say 'Sync' in the upper left of the header navigation bar. Choose the far right '3 dots' drop down menu
    4. Choose "Remove account"

Google should at least offer a link from the main Email application to get to this screen.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

similar problem but I don't want to remove the account from the phone, just from the default email app. Since Gmail has its own app, I don't need it in the other default email app, I want to nuse that just for corporate email, but I can't work out how to remove Gmail just from that email app. Please help

Had to register just to say thanks for this! It was driving me batty trying to figure out how to remove my exchange account.

Ok so I removed my corporate account by selecting the "Remove account" and the corporate account is no longer in the list of accounts, however the email Icon and all my emails are still on my device (nexus 7) and my n7 won't let me add the corporate account back in. Now what?

I have the same kind of problem with my N4 after kitkat update.
    I don't see the corporate account under settings--> accounts, so I can't remove it at all.
    but it exists in my Email application and keeps crashing every time I try to sync with work mail..

Do I have to Factory reset the damn thing? will that solve anything?

Hi all! Go to SETTINGS -> CORPORATE ACCOUNT -> click to your email address, not to the account settings -> three dots in the top right corner -> REMOVE ACCOUNT

I hope it helps.
    Thanked by:

Having the same issue as shpitzs. Removed my email account from Settings (Corporate) but account remains in the stock email app along with all the email. Only synchronization has been disabled. Can't use "Clear Data", it is now greyed out. Cannot re-add account, says it is already there. What a mess. Really would rather avoid having to do a factory reset.

No, doesn't help - the menu item is not there
    Google Nexus 7, Android 4.4

I was having this exact issue, and I asked my coworker for assistance. He was able to solve the issue.

SOLUTION:
    After removing your email account in Settings > Accounts,
    If it is still showing and won't let add the account, go to Settings > Apps > Email > Force Stop > Clear Data.

This will remove all data and when you open your email app it will prompt you to enter the new information again.

So, I had the same issue trying to remove an exchange account (hosted by rackspace). In order to add this account I had to agree to remote admin of my phone (i.e. let it be a "Device Administrator").

To make a long story short, first I had to go to Settings -> Security -> Device Administrators, select the email account and remove the administration privilege. It gave me a dire popup about deleting the account - which it didn't seem to do. But after that I could delete the account as described above via Settings -> Accounts -> Corporate.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,718 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by Furball50 View Post
    So, I had the same issue trying to remove an exchange account (hosted by rackspace). In order to add this account I had to agree to remote admin of my phone (i.e. let it be a "Device Administrator").
    Unless this is the email account of the company you work for (and want to continue working for), this falls under the heading of "Bad Ideas". Might as well write the phone's password on the screen with a magic marker.

And if it WAS the email account of the company *I* worked for, I'd sooner get another phone and use that exclusively for work. I might decide to put some personal data on my phone, and I'd rather not put my personal data where any unscrupulous employee can get to it. Even with written guarantees, some bells can't be unrung.

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Furball50 View Post

To make a long story short, first I had to go to Settings -> Security -> Device Administrators, select the email account and remove the administration privilege. It gave me a dire popup about deleting the account - which it didn't seem to do. But after that I could delete the account as described above via Settings -> Accounts -> Corporate.
    Just wanted to say thanks for this, solved my issue as well.

I added one of my Yahoo accounts the other day to try showing someone how to fix their Bellsouth account on a tablet. What a mistake!
    Already bad enough that I can't mute the volume on "alerts" at night without turning off possibly important text messages at the same time, but this email problem is the worst thing I've ever seen on a smart phone outside of not being able to disable the camera snap noise.

I went to Settings from the main screen
    Under accounts I saw Yahoo, had to click on it, hit menu, then menu again? and finally have a remove option.

I've always said I'd love it if Apple would make an Android phone, now I'm starting to wish that Motorola would make an iOs phone :/
    paisley99 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justin1578 View Post
    I added one of my Yahoo accounts the other day to try showing someone how to fix their Bellsouth account on a tablet. What a mistake!
    Already bad enough that I can't mute the volume on "alerts" at night without turning off possibly important text messages at the same time, but this email problem is the worst thing I've ever seen on a smart phone outside of not being able to disable the camera snap noise.

I went to Settings from the main screen
    Under accounts I saw Yahoo, had to click on it, hit menu, then menu again? and finally have a remove option.

I've always said I'd love it if Apple would make an Android phone, now I'm starting to wish that Motorola would make an iOs phone :/

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Thumbs up Re: How to remove an account from the EMail app in Kitkat? "Remove Account" option has vanished.

Quote Originally Posted by kolikoma View Post
    Hi all! Go to SETTINGS -> CORPORATE ACCOUNT -> click to your email address, not to the account settings -> three dots in the top right corner -> REMOVE ACCOUNT

I hope it helps.
    Thanks! That's it.

I tried everything listed in this thread, and I couldn't figure out how to remove an imap account I created. I had moved the account from one hosted email provider to another. I suspect that there was no option to delete it because it was the only account I had. It finally occurred to me to simply edit the settings of that account to reflect the settings for the new provider. Then it occurred to me that I might have synced all of the email on my phone with my new account, which I hope didn't happen because I had already migrated all of the email over, and I don't want a bunch of duplicates! That doesn't appear to have happened, though. Hope this helps someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Key View Post
    I tried everything listed in this thread, and I couldn't figure out how to remove an imap account I created. I had moved the account from one hosted email provider to another. I suspect that there was no option to delete it because it was the only account I had. It finally occurred to me to simply edit the settings of that account to reflect the settings for the new provider. Then it occurred to me that I might have synced all of the email on my phone with my new account, which I hope didn't happen because I had already migrated all of the email over, and I don't want a bunch of duplicates! That doesn't appear to have happened, though. Hope this helps someone.
    Here's what i did:
    Settings(phone settings not the settings in email) > Accounts
    Tap that account you want to delete, now you can see the account which has a sync is off or on below it then tap it
    Tap the menu and their you have a option to remove the account

Red face Re: How to remove an account from the EMail app in Kitkat? "Remove Account" option has vanished.

This solved my problem, thank you!

Setting > Account > Google > Account > email id > Action overflow (menu) > remove account

perfectly working

go to main settings -> Account -> Corporate -> You will see all the added accounts -> Click on one which you want to remove -> go to setting menu (rightmost corner) -> remove account
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast