Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Quote Originally Posted by jimjeffcoat View Post
    Does anyone know if Android can synchronize contacts from multiple sources (Google, Yahoo, Facebook) like webOS does? Also, same question applied to calendars?
    Yes and Yes.

Is there any equivilant to the "add scrollbar to browser" patch?
    They are built in.
    Quote Originally Posted by vespacar View Post
    Miss the bluetooth only on, cause when your on the subway why do I need the cell to be on.
    You can turn off the cell and just have bluetooth on. Home > Menu > Settings Wireless & networks. Set Airplane mode=ON and Bluetooth=ON. Your phone should have come with these widgets but also check out:
    Curvefish: WiFi On-Off Bluetooth On-Off GPS On-Off .
    I'm trying to figure out how to a screen capture on my EVO shift.
    I like:
    ShootMe - Simple Screenshots. Does not require root on EVO and many other phones.

See the Getting Started for all of these answer and a lot more. The webOS guide is just an into. The Getting Started has many more details.
    Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

Well, after seeing HP's presentation the other day, I think I'm here for good. I don't regret leaving webOS, but my God I miss the user interface. Android's way of handling task switching and multitasking is a horrible, horrible godforsaken mess. After ten years of using Windows and Linux desktop computers, and one year of using webOS, I have come to expect to be able to leave a task to do something else on the machine and then come back later to find it exactly in the state that it would have been in if I hadn't started a new task. Is this really too much to ask? To Android's designers, apparently it is.

I also sorely miss the Universal Search Command Line patch. The built-in search app on my Shift 4G seems to have been designed by people to whom the thought has never occurred that some folks might have a preference other than Google for default web searches. I've tried a few alternatives, but the closest thing I could find was the Opensearch app, which has nonexistent documentation and which can't truly replace the built-in app (support for a landscape hardware keyboard is not great either). Anybody know of a search app that can replace the functionality of webOS's Universal Search with the USCL patch?

My goodness.

Glad there is a Android for Palm users support group here. lol.

**yet another disenchanted pre user from precentral**
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE- > HTC Evo / BB Bold > Nexus S 4G

Quote Originally Posted by Analog View Post
    I have come to expect to be able to leave a task to do something else on the machine and then come back later to find it exactly in the state that it would have been in if I hadn't started a new task. Is this really too much to ask?
    So wait, lets say I'm drafting an email. I need to go to the web for some fact checking back and forth. I get a call in the middle of all this......

...Um....i dont totally know where I'm going with all this but, but on webOS i dont even worry about it. The only thing that doesn't maintain state is web sites. Could you draw an example?
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE- > HTC Evo / BB Bold > Nexus S 4G

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

Working with, say, K9 mail and composing a message. Go to another program or the home screen for a minute to check on something, and then come back. Am I still in the compose screen with my message open and in the state it was in when I left? Well...maybe. Or maybe not. Or when following a link in the web browser that leads to streaming audio, thus causing the browser's streaming plugin to start playing the stream. Great, I'll let it play in the background while I do something else...oh. I guess I won't. And when I go back to the browser I may or may not have to click the link all over again to restart the stream (or, more likely, try to find a way to listen to it that will let it keep playing with the screen off).

It's just constant with this kind of crap. Never was a problem in webOS. Never was a problem with anything, on any device I've used, that presumed to call itself an operating system.

Working day-to-day with Android's implementation of task-switching and "multitasking" gives me the unshakeable feeling that my device is working really, really hard to create the illusion that it can do everything at once without ever having to shut anything off--and not carrying off the illusion very well. It's like watching a bad magic show where the tricks don't always work AND you can see how they're done.

I like a lot of things about Android, but with this sort of thing it needs a major course correction.

How about browser multimod to to give option of streaming or downloading streamed content?

Default Back to stock???

Ok so with webOS, you run webOS doctor freely available from HPalm to get back to factory, but what about an android phone? And if it matters, specifically an Evo...

Quote Originally Posted by giograves View Post
    Ok so with webOS, you run webOS doctor freely available from HPalm to get back to factory, but what about an android phone? And if it matters, specifically an Evo...
    There's a setting in the Evo to restore the phone, plus quite a few other methods, such as if you root the phone and etc.

Sent from my eVo
    ......posted from something made by Apple!

thank you very helpful information coming from webOS

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock, Rooted

Default Alas Palm...

Hi all. Long time Palm use joining the support group!

Today I miss the silence switch. How hard can it be to make the phone (an Epic) truly silent? Every PalmOS and WebOS smartphone has had the switch including the Treo 300. After looking over several apps today I can't find one that turns off all sounds like you and I (WebOS/Palm users) might expect.
    Each one leaves one or more audible alerts active, be it ring, alarm, notification or annoying clicks when touched!

Whew...thanks for putting up with my rant.

Hopefully I just haven't found the magic ap that lets me hit one button and all is silent once again. Hopefully.

This is something else I really want also, a true silent button (from a previous webOS users).

great read. thanks.
    just got my first Android device (HTC Inspire 4G) and still learning.
    glad i ditched my Pre Plus.

There is a widget for that!

Actually there is nearly a dozen ring toggle widgets that I've found.

EDIT: Um actually, at least on the EVO, holding down the power button will bring up a menu where you can choose your sound mode.

- Sent from my HTC eVo with Tapatalk

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mooney101 View Post
    This is something else I really want also, a true silent button (from a previous webOS users).
    This isn't exactly as easy as a button, but it is what I use. I use widgetsoid2 and set up a widget that opens up the control panel for all sounds - volume, ringer, system, alarm, voice call, notification...
    Widgetsoid2.x - Android app on AppBrain

from a previous WebOS user, now HTC Evo

Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 / Netarchy

Awesome thread. Will be coming from a Pre- for a Nexus S 4G and this certainly helps.

I was concerned I might freak out without gestures, but found a couple apps that might fit the bill.

zMooth
    https://market.android.com/details?i...kapalli.zMooth

ClutchPad
    https://market.android.com/details?i...lbright.clutch

Great and very helpful thread.
    Michael

HTC One
    Asus Transformer Infinity TF700

Does anyone know if there is a way to use my palm pixi (through sprint) to get internet access on my galaxy tab (also a sprint tab, but not paying for sprint service on it, just wifi).

Thanks

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

Very helpful. Thanks.

Global Posts
    857 Global Posts

Thanks for this, very helpful for someone still on webOS (coming on 2 years now) and looking to probably transition to Android next month (expecting to find out the Pre3 won't be on Sprint, at least not this summer). I'm playing with a loaner Eris for now but looking to get the EVO 3D when it's out. Anyway, my big question for this thread: an equivalent for Mode Switcher? Someone mentioned something on a mailing list months ago, but can't find it now... Thanks!

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - for the moment

Quote Originally Posted by jp22382 View Post
    Awesome thread. Will be coming from a Pre- for a Nexus S 4G and this certainly helps.

I was concerned I might freak out without gestures, but found a couple apps that might fit the bill.

zMooth
    https://market.android.com/details?i...kapalli.zMooth

ClutchPad
    https://market.android.com/details?i...lbright.clutch
    Ditto on the Nexus S & thanks for the links.

Have you picked up the phone yet? If so, have you been experiencing any of the reception/dropped call issues that some others have been having with their phones? There is a whole thread on the subject.

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - for the moment

Default EVO Shift

Quote Originally Posted by michaelp68 View Post
    Great and very helpful thread.
    how do you like the Shift? I am looking to give up my Pre- and like the physical keyboard. I have seen some reviews that say the keyboard makes the phone too thick. Your thoughts?

Slosh

Quote Originally Posted by slosh01 View Post
    how do you like the Shift? I am looking to give up my Pre- and like the physical keyboard. I have seen some reviews that say the keyboard makes the phone too thick. Your thoughts?

Slosh
    I'm liking the Shift a lot.

I do not think that the keyboard makes the phone too thick. I don't think it's any thicker than a Pre. Obviously, a phone without a keyboard will usually be thinner, but the Shift doesn't feel too thick to me.

Personally, I like having the physical keyboard and definitely use it quite a bit. And coming from the Pre, the Shift feels pleasantly solid.
    Michael

HTC One
    Asus Transformer Infinity TF700

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - for the moment

Quote Originally Posted by michaelp68 View Post
    I'm liking the Shift a lot.

I do not think that the keyboard makes the phone too thick. I don't think it's any thicker than a Pre. Obviously, a phone without a keyboard will usually be thinner, but the Shift doesn't feel too thick to me.

Personally, I like having the physical keyboard and definitely use it quite a bit. And coming from the Pre, the Shift feels pleasantly solid.
    Thanks for the response. I too have grown accustomed to the physical keyboard - my work phone is a BB Bold, enuf said. Maybe I take a Shift for a test ride for 3 weeks or so and if I don't like it I'll return it for a Nexus S.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #49  

Quote Originally Posted by slosh01 View Post
    Thanks for the response. I too have grown accustomed to the physical keyboard - my work phone is a BB Bold, enuf said. Maybe I take a Shift for a test ride for 3 weeks or so and if I don't like it I'll return it for a Nexus S.
    The NexusS is a rooting phone. It is a stripped down hot rod. Maybe check out the EVO Shift until the EVO 3D comes out.

The Shift is a smaller screen but try the SwiftKey X keyboard on it. SwiftKey predicts your next word before you even start to type it. It learns how you think making better suggestions all the time, sometimes better than the word than you were thinking. Also the speach to text learns how you speak and gets amazingly good.

What's better than typing on a physical keyboard?

Not typing at all.
    Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓

Milo!!

Great Comparative guide for Pre to Droid!

But I expect no less from you, after all your amazing stuff on the Pre side of the world..

Im saving this, to help learn, and maybe make the leap, someday..
    Thanked by:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast