Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

I just finished a few weeks with a Nexus S 4G from two years with the Sprint Pre. I read this post, and many, many others, trying to learn to love Android. I can't. So I returned it today.
    Yes, my Pre is slower. No, I don't get to play with incredibly cool apps like SoundHound, SkyMap, and a million other ugly versions of iOS apps. Yes, I am still picking my jaw off of the floor from the Voice Command functions and how great it works. I actually even (sort of) got used to the notifications.

But...

I don't play video games, and I'll never watch a movie on a phone. Never. What I DO need, every day, all day long, is the ability to communicate and multitask. And even though I found a way to add on free apps to give me basic functions like separate tones for SMS contacts, email search (Really? Are they kidding? NO ONE has a filter as you type email search.) nagging notification reminders, etc. The multitasking is poor- not even as good as iPhone. Unpredictable and clunky. Android OS is just not friendly. It's not even pretty. All the ridiculous animation is just silly.

Maybe the worst was the fact that the Nexus S gets lousy radio reception. Even the Pre gets significantly better reception, which isn't saying that much. GPS, Wifi, phone... all poor. And the 4G, even when available, isn't noticeably faster to me.

It seems to me that Android's draw is the ability to get almost-as-good features for free, with the ability to make your phone look like no one else's. Great. Except I actually think that good things are worth paying for, and don't need my phone to identify me. I just need it to work. All the time. And all day long. (I lost 10% battery charge by using Google Navigate for 10 minutes. Huh?)

Sorry, Android. I'll happily stick to webOS, even though it's slower and won't name the tune I'm hearing over the speakers in the restaurant. It gets my work done, effortlessly, in a reliable and predictable manner. That's really a smart phone, for me.

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonesey View Post
    I just finished a few weeks with a Nexus S 4G from two years with the Sprint Pre. I read this post, and many, many others, trying to learn to love Android. I can't. So I returned it today.
    Yes, my Pre is slower. No, I don't get to play with incredibly cool apps like SoundHound, SkyMap, and a million other ugly versions of iOS apps. Yes, I am still picking my jaw off of the floor from the Voice Command functions and how great it works. I actually even (sort of) got used to the notifications.

But...

I don't play video games, and I'll never watch a movie on a phone. Never. What I DO need, every day, all day long, is the ability to communicate and multitask. And even though I found a way to add on free apps to give me basic functions like separate tones for SMS contacts, email search (Really? Are they kidding? NO ONE has a filter as you type email search.) nagging notification reminders, etc. The multitasking is poor- not even as good as iPhone. Unpredictable and clunky. Android OS is just not friendly. It's not even pretty. All the ridiculous animation is just silly.

Maybe the worst was the fact that the Nexus S gets lousy radio reception. Even the Pre gets significantly better reception, which isn't saying that much. GPS, Wifi, phone... all poor. And the 4G, even when available, isn't noticeably faster to me.

It seems to me that Android's draw is the ability to get almost-as-good features for free, with the ability to make your phone look like no one else's. Great. Except I actually think that good things are worth paying for, and don't need my phone to identify me. I just need it to work. All the time. And all day long. (I lost 10% battery charge by using Google Navigate for 10 minutes. Huh?)

Sorry, Android. I'll happily stick to webOS, even though it's slower and won't name the tune I'm hearing over the speakers in the restaurant. It gets my work done, effortlessly, in a reliable and predictable manner. That's really a smart phone, for me.
    Lol, you must be old! Sorry Android requires brainpower... I dumped my pre a year ago for an EVO and never looked back! I can't wait for the EVO 3D to drop.

Quote Originally Posted by willrusso View Post
    Lol, you must be old! Sorry Android requires brainpower...
    Thanks for your very helpful comment. Is there a correlation between youth and brainpower? My comments have nothing to do with trouble using the device or navigating the OS, rather with the user experience and the poor reception and battery life.

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

It amy be the device you chose as well...I have heard many bad things about the Nexus S but not too many about the Evo.

The EVO may be a year older than the Nexus but it holds up very well to this day. I just got my wife one(I am still on the original Pre waiting on the EVO 3D) and it flies and I am amazed at how good the reception is on that phone.

I have seen alot of neat apps that allow for better multitasking...just need to give them a chance.

The most amazing thing about android is the customization is second to none. I am stuck with how the Pre interface looks and with the Android I can basically build the phone the way I want. I understand the multitasking is amazing on the Pre but everything else it does is not so great.

I can only open about 2 - 3 cards now untl I get the too many cards error. I hate waiting over 5 minutes for the phone to boot...and the phone is so slow. One of the only complaints of the EVO is battery power but I have a Pre I have to recharge after 4 hours of moderate use.

As one mentioned to each his own but it seems you may have picked hardware that that was frustrating also making you more frustrated with the software.

Interesting points, and maybe its true... The appeal to me of the Nexus was the instant updates since its pure Google. Im not that crazy about HTCs version with Sense, but am thinking of trying out the EVO3D, if for nothing else than to get through the summer and give my Pre- a 30 day break.

Thanks for the great post!

Global Posts
    8,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I would have loved to use a Pre before Android just to see how the OS functions. Unfortunately I didn't get an opportunity to and instead jumped to the Hero when it was released. They both offer benefits and I'm sure the Pre has it's upsides over Android. Great post Jonesey.

MY names Cameron and I like Beans!!!

Excellent and most helpful post. Ive been soaking up as much android info as possible in anticipation of my switch to android. Im excited to get back into messing with new ROMS (old phone was a touch pro).
    Thanked by:
    milominderbinde likes this.

Thank You for the Data
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

Could someone comment on how to import text messages from my pre minus?

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Thanks for this guide. Planning to switch soon and this relly helps with my research.

Agreed thank you this has been very helpful during my switch from webS.
    Thanked by:

There is a lot of useful content listed here and it is laid out well. Though, I can see that the author has an AndroidOS bias. Which is fine. Techies tend to develope loyalties towards the tech gadgets that they love.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #65  

Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    There is a lot of useful content listed here and it is laid out well. Though, I can see that the author has an AndroidOS bias. Which is fine. Techies tend to develope loyalties towards the tech gadgets that they love.
    I own a Pre and an EVO. This guide is written to suport an audiance coming from webOS to Android. I also wrote the Getting Started with webOS Guides at PreCentral supporting someone coming to webOS.
    Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓
    Thanked by:
    pgreat 

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts

Looks like Android Central just reviewed a new app that does something like Mode Switcher! http://www.androidcentral.com/androi...oid+Central%29

That is the one feature I miss the most from my Pre. Mode switched is fantastic. I am definitely going to give this a try.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Default Re: Just switched from WebOS, missing these...

Quote Originally Posted by pbinder View Post
    The thing that I am extremely missing is the Poor Man's Twitter Client patch. This gave the ability to tap a Twitter SMS message and could reply to a user, leave a user, go to their twitter page, and retweet the message. Because I can't do this, I am turning mobile notifications off. I will try to just use Tweetdeck...but I like doing most of twitter through the messaging app as it uses less battery.
    I'm with you on this one.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Thanks for this guide, switching over from palm has been made easy with the info here.
    Thanked by:

Hi,

i am switching from a pixi- to the EVO SHift, thanks for all the tips and making me less apprehensive about the switch. Being that the screen on my pixi broke I have no way of transferring my memos and tasks, does anyone know how I can use the backup on my pc to transfer the files to my EVO?

Thanks for all of this!

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

thanks from another former Pre owner!!!

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pastorich1 View Post
    How about browser multimod to to give option of streaming or downloading streamed content?
    Yes +1 for me too please!

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by daveross View Post
    Yes +1 for me too please!
    One of the most used patches on my Pre. Would definitely like to have it on my DInc2.

This is a fantastic guide. Like so many above, it has made me less apprehensive about loosing my WebOS. (super)upgrading to the Photon, and i am finally looking forward to the change. I cut my teeth over on PreCentral, and AndroidCentral looks like it has a community that is just as helpful and passionate about the platform (and dont have to be doom and gloom at all times because of...ok too many things to list here)!
    Thanked by:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast