Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
Results 126 to 135 of 135
Like Tree44Likes
  1. #126  

    Default Re: Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

    Quote Originally Posted by STARGATE View Post
    Yea... unfortunately stupid Leo Idioteker and stupid HP drowned Palm into the Ocean! :banghead:

    I hope they also sink into the deep blue! :thumbup::beer::beer:

    Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!
    haha, yes. agreed. them and their ****ty computers. hateful!!

    Actually, the moto x i'm about to get kinda reminds me of that little palm, i just noticed this,


    and here i was wondering whether to get the black or white. DUH!

    okay, i hate to sound crazy, but this cannot get into my house fast enough. lol.
  2. #127  
    STARGATE's Avatar

    Posts
    6,062 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,392 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

    Default Re: Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

    Quote Originally Posted by paisley99 View Post
    haha, yes. agreed. them and their ****ty computers. hateful!!

    Actually, the moto x i'm about to get kinda reminds me of that little palm, i just noticed this,
    http://cdn.ndtv.com/tech/images/gadg...in-use-635.jpg

    and here i was wondering whether to get the black or white. DUH!

    okay, i hate to sound crazy, but this cannot get into my house fast enough. lol.
    Lol

    You know, instead of waiting to see what Motorola brought to the table, I went with the Galaxy S4 because Motorola also burned me

    They promised to give us Android ICS on our Photons and they backed out at the last moment! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

    I've used many Motorola devices in my life, but now I don't think I'll ever believe in them again.

    So no more Motorola or HP devices for me!!!

    Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
  3. #128  

    Default Re: Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

    Quote Originally Posted by STARGATE View Post
    Lol

    You know, instead of waiting to see what Motorola brought to the table, I went with the Galaxy S4 because Motorola also burned me

    They promised to give us Android ICS on our Photons and they backed out at the last moment! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

    I've used many Motorola devices in my life, but now I don't think I'll ever believe in them again.

    So no more Motorola or HP devices for me!!!

    Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!
    Help me out. Does android still suck at multitasking? i'm getting cold feet. Let me re-phrase, is it still not as good as web o/s at it? I might just check in with Sprint to see if I can back down to Sero without the data fee if i don't like the experience, since I have to up my plan $10 to go to Moto X. This way if I dont like Android I can no harm no foul back down. I realize, man, my palm pre is pretty fast even though it's thinking a little too hard lately, so while i gain in speed, I have a new Palm Pre in my drawer that will be pretty fast, and I just read through this full thread and am a little concerned. These are the 4 things Im worried about:

    1. Multi-tasking. (I think Ill go check this out in a phone store tonight).
    2. Getting all your email put into one place.
    3. being able to swipe delete through your emails.
    4. beautiful music player.

    I wont even get into the notifications. *smh*. Maybe someone can alter the active notifications to include more info.

    Manhattan doesnt have LTE yet, so I dont gain there. The only things I really really want is to be able to take photos of checks in order to deposit. And now I want to talk to my phone without touching it. But its a real toss up with all the things I lose.
  4. #129  
    fritzk3's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

    Default Re: Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

    I just went from a VERY old and worn out Palm Pre to an HTC One a couple of weeks ago. I'm still getting used to Android. Some things I like better, and some things still can't compare to webOS.

    In my opinion:
    - webOS notification behavior was much better. webOS notifications told you what you needed to know, and otherwise got out of the way and stayed out of the way. Also, behavior of notifications, like swiping them away, was much more consistent in webOS.
    - In particular, the mail notification behavior in Android drives me crazy - if you have only one new email in an account, your only choice with that notification is to go directly into the message! Unlike webOS, where you could tap the icon to go into the Inbox but not directly to the message.
    - The card view in webOS, to me, was a better way of switching between apps. I'm still struggling a bit with the way Android does it. webOS just had it right when it came to that.

    Some pros for Android:
    - MUCH richer ecosystem of apps - things you can actually use with other phone users
    - Bigger screen
    - Faster, more responsive phone
    - Better web browser
    - Better "social" phone, if you're into apps like Facebook, Instagram, Vine, Pinterest, etc.
    - More tweakability because of the openness of Android - custom ROMs, launchers, etc.

    I was sad to leave webOS, since I new the OS so well, but there was just no future in it that I could see. So, I'm trying to make the best of it by going to the phone OS that's at least somewhat tweakable. I wasn't about to become an iClone!

    Give it a try; if nothing else, you can return the phone within 14 days if you find that you hate it.
    Thanked by:
    paisley99 likes this.
  5. #130  

    Default Re: Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

    Quote Originally Posted by fritzk3 View Post
    - More tweakability because of the openness of Android - custom ROMs, launchers, etc.
    You're kidding, right? Especially if you had some of the better patches like the ones from Sconix and the ultimate calendar patch. Applying themes was easier. Really wish Android had something like Homebrew and PreWare. It was also nice that you didn't have to root your device since it was already rooted.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app
  6. #131  

    Default Re: Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

    Quote Originally Posted by fritzk3 View Post
    I just went from a VERY old and worn out Palm Pre to an HTC One a couple of weeks ago. I'm still getting used to Android. Some things I like better, and some things still can't compare to webOS.

    In my opinion:
    - webOS notification behavior was much better. webOS notifications told you what you needed to know, and otherwise got out of the way and stayed out of the way. Also, behavior of notifications, like swiping them away, was much more consistent in webOS.
    - In particular, the mail notification behavior in Android drives me crazy - if you have only one new email in an account, your only choice with that notification is to go directly into the message! Unlike webOS, where you could tap the icon to go into the Inbox but not directly to the message.
    - The card view in webOS, to me, was a better way of switching between apps. I'm still struggling a bit with the way Android does it. webOS just had it right when it came to that.

    Some pros for Android:
    - MUCH richer ecosystem of apps - things you can actually use with other phone users
    - Bigger screen
    - Faster, more responsive phone
    - Better web browser
    - Better "social" phone, if you're into apps like Facebook, Instagram, Vine, Pinterest, etc.
    - More tweakability because of the openness of Android - custom ROMs, launchers, etc.

    I was sad to leave webOS, since I new the OS so well, but there was just no future in it that I could see. So, I'm trying to make the best of it by going to the phone OS that's at least somewhat tweakable. I wasn't about to become an iClone!

    Give it a try; if nothing else, you can return the phone within 14 days if you find that you hate it.
    Wow, a couple of weeks ago. Man, that;s pretty telling. : )

    oh my. I'm so sad. I get the feeling Android is not for me, honestly Android just does not seems as good. All it has going for it is the better hardware, but i feel like i want to move on to a bigger screen and oh how i want the voiceless control of the moto X. But i love my Palm Pre, so much.

    I made a list of my needs/uses/wants etc. and for most of the important things, Palm wins:
    -email
    -notifications
    -multi tasking
    And this is what i do the most

    regular stuff is a tie: (clock, alarm, etc)

    And the things it doesn't do well are things i just want, and i only can't do them because of a bigger screen:
    -banking,
    -citibike station information
    -checking reviews and prices while shopping
    -looking up information
    and the only android app i *really* want is the virtual assistant app.

    And then there's things moto X can do that neither regular androids nor Pre can do: Always Ready being #1,which would make alarms and weather much better, MUCH. And those would actually be quite helpful to me.

    Sprint doesn't have LTE yet, so i don't get that benefit. I'd still be on 3G with the MotoX/

    I have 2 other Palm Pres sitting in a drawer, havent done homebrew since i last switched to a new pre a couple of years ago, but i could definitely go back and maybe if i get back into the homebrews i could make my Palm the best i could be. But gosh, the best things about Palm Android can't touch.


    So the Pre would win hands down If it had a bigger screen, the only other thing i would want is the voiceless controls. Everything else is of little importance compared to all the things i lose.

    Thoughts? i know it's a personal thing, but i just can't believe that other than a screen, web o/s fits my needs better than the Android platform. Not to menation just the regular fabulousness of web o/s. This is really really tough.

    I guess could just come down to, and be a matter of, Web o/s is just a better system and would be more pleasant, better to use, but can't do anything the others can't, but while android sucks compared to web o/s, sorry, in some ways the switch could offer me things the Palm can't, (whatever is special to android can offer me NOTHING cuz i don't play games or do social stuff).

    Last night i decided i would defintely get the moto X and either return it or sell it if i don't like it, esp since i haven't used my upgrade in a long time and i want to use it . I'd move to Verizon so i could get the Palm3 for the bigger screen but i'm on Sprint Sero, so no way jose.

    Oh, also, when i switch from Pre to another phone i'll be paying an extra $10 a month. Gosh. And my phone means a lot to me, it's really a decision i'm struggling with. Anyone else would think i'm nuts, but i know you guys know what it is to love this o/s, or if anything, know how people feel about it. I was in Sprint a couple times this week, and 2 employees got whistful when they saw my Pre. Maybe half of this is just looking for support, lol. Thanks for listening, helping and understanding.
  7. #132  
    STARGATE's Avatar

    Posts
    6,062 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,392 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

    Default Re: Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

    I could not have said it better!
    Although in my case I jumped ship 2 years ago with the Motorola Photon 4G only to get burned by Motorola! :thumbdown: :banghead:

    So, now I don't care for HP nor Motorola! :thumbdown:
    They can go to hell for all I care! :thumbdown:

    I still get my Prē out of its box from time to time just to keep my gesture loving fingers happy! :thumbup:

    But having the Multiwindow feature on my Galaxy S4 let's me multitask very well. I just love that! :beer:

    Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
    TJB likes this.
  8. #133  
    jlamb0's Avatar

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

    Default Re: Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

    Which Pre are you using? The original Pre or were you able to get a "Franken-Pre2" working on Sprint? I was using a Pre3 on AT&T for awhile. I absolutely loved it, but the apps I needed started to break as APIs changed and the developers stopped updating (Pocket and Dropbox are examples). I can totally relate to what you're going through, but I can't imagine trying to use an original Pre these days.

    If it still works for you, more power to you. But for what it is worth, I've switched to Android and I haven't really looked back. (Although my Pre3 is still in a drawer, just in case...)
    TJB likes this.
  9. #134  
    STARGATE's Avatar

    Posts
    6,062 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,392 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

    Default Re: Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

    I have an original Palm Prē from launch day!
    I wasn't able to get a FrankenPrē, and by the time I decided to get one, the Photon came around. So I just got me the Photon and stayed with Android.

    Like I said before, my wife and I still have a PalmPad each, and I still use my Prē from time to time. :thumbup:

    Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
    TJB and paisley99 like this.
  10. #135  

    Default Re: Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

    Excellent and most helpful post. Ive been soaking up as much android info as possible in anticipation of my switch to android. Im excited to get back into messing with new ROMS (old phone was a touch pro).
    A better day.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Posting Permissions