[Q] galaxy note 8 or tegra note?

paofelix21

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi, 6 months ago, i bought the nexus 7(2012), i was pretty much impressed with it. However, i have trouble doing notes in class because it is very difficult to scribble with the nexus 7 ( there is no palm rejection). I've read several reviews about note 8 and found it to be very nice but then the tegra note was released. Now, i am having a hard time choosing between the two. Any suggestions?

Posted via Android Central App

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

I'd recommend either the Note 8 or the LG G Pad 8.3. The G Pad, while lacking a stylus, does have note taking capabilities and you could add a stylus to it for a truly exceptional experience. I've had the Note 8 and don't need to tell you what a great device it is. It's screen is behind the times though. If that's a completely irreleveant issue for you than you can't really go wrong with it. However, I'd be remiss if I didn't tell write what a truly exceptional device LG's G Pad 8.3 is. It's so good it's worth paying extra to get a stylus for for it, which, I believe would bring it right around the cost of the Note 8.0.

These are the two I'd seriously consider in this size class.

paofelix21

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the reply, there is one thing i would like to clarify, does the lg pad have palm rejection similar to the note 8.0?

Mike Mikowski

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I pre-ordered the tegra note. First it is half the cost. Second, the tegra note has less latency stylus than the samsung (300 samples/sec vs 30 or 60) and variable tip width detection. This is because the t4 uses the 5th core to sample the screen. Third, the tegra note smokes the samsung in raw power and isn't weighed down by lag-inducing touch-wiz. Fourth, the HDR looks promising.

The only thing I can see where the samsung comes out ahead is the hover effect from the active digitizer, which seems a feabile victory.

As for the LG, it is a better tablet than the samsung, but you would need to purchase the stylus. The performance with a 1.7Ghz r9-based krait s600 and adreno 320 should be no match to the 1.8Ghz a15 T4, and it lacks HDR as well. It has a 1920 x 1200 display, but again the cost with a much less capable stylus is approaching $400.

Finally, I trust Nvidia to provide android updates over the others. My experience with the shield (now on 4.3) has been very good, whereas lg and samsung have been historically pretty bad at providing timely (or any!) updates.

An aside: The hp8 pro has a T4 chip and 1600x1200, but afaik no stylus. It will be interesting to see how that turns out. It might support a separately purchased stylus with the same capabilities as tegra note 7.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I would get the Tegra Note. I think the Note 8 has some cool features that the Tegra Note will never have (due to active vs. passive stylus), but they aren't really worth the extra $150 to $200 you'll pay for a Note 8. Also, if you want to play games on your tablet, the combo of a more powerful processor and a lower resolution screen will mean that the Tegra Note will be able to run the games at higher graphics settings than the Note 8. The only two downsides to me with the Tegra Note are the lack of hover detection and the 7" vs. 8" screen. If the Tegra Note had an 8" screen, I'd have already pre-ordered it.

paofelix21

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
The tegra note is good, i wish they create more stylus based apps. Is the multiwindow of the note 8 really a game changer?