Rooting and ROM help for Galaxy S4

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm looking to root my s4, this being my first ever attempt at rooting a phone and I just have a coupe of questions, they might sound daft so apologies in advance if I should already know the answer :)

1) I noticed there is an app called "Cyanogenmod" if I download this and download the computer software and follow the instructions as prompted will this root my phone? also if I do this, does the UI on my phone change once its rooted or will it only change when I install a custom ROM

2) Once I root my phone how do I go about installing ROM's and what is the best place to download them from?

Thanks,
K

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I'm looking to root my s4, this being my first ever attempt at rooting a phone and I just have a coupe of questions, they might sound daft so apologies in advance if I should already know the answer :)

1) I noticed there is an app called "Cyanogenmod" if I download this and download the computer software and follow the instructions as prompted will this root my phone? also if I do this, does the UI on my phone change once its rooted or will it only change when I install a custom ROM
It won't root your phone. I'm not sure what version of the S4 you have but you might wanna head over to the XDA forums and read up on the appropriate root method for your device.

2) Once I root my phone how do I go about installing ROMs and what is the best place to download them from?
Android Forums & Windows Phone Discussion @ xda-developers

Thanks,
K

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

2) Once I root my phone how do I go about installing ROMs and what is the best place to download them from?

Thanks,
K

All rooting does is grant you special permissions. It won't really change anything you can see on your device.

As for flashing custom ROMs, I am still not so sure the Cyanogen app is the best way to go. You can check our galaxys4 root.com and follow those rooting/flashing videos, just stick to your carrier.