Galaxy S3 charging problem

maldini3lb

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
i have samsung S3 for 5 months now and it has been charging well and no problem, yet a couple of days ago, i noticed that it charges slower than usual.
the thing is that i downloaded Galaxy current charging app to notice how much current delivered to the phone while charging, and i noticed that :
with the original charger and original cable, i get a range from 100 to 1000mA every one plug in, i mean it differs every one plug, and if it gets 1000, it drops to a smaller number after few minutes.
so i tried different chargers with different usb cables (i tried many combinations of chargers with usb cables) and the same thing occurs, it may get 1000mA at first and then drops to 700 or 300 or something, but not 1000 , and it sometimes read 300 or 200 at the moment of plugging in ( it starts charging with a very low current value). so the readings are random everytime, but it doesn't keep on 1000mA at every try with different chargers and different cables.
I also tried to take the battery out for one hour to let it reset or something, and put it on again and tried to charge, but the same random thing happens again.
so i'm out of tricks now, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
That charging app only lists the "theoretical" rates as stated in the description, so it's not good for true measurements. That being said, some semantics are in play. Even though we all call it the charger, the power source is serving two functions: charging the battery as needed, and powering the phone itself. Even if charging the battery at full speed, that alone won't pull the full amperage from the charger. That may only be 300-500 mA. The rest is for powering the phone's functions and will fluctuate as you use it. That's why you'll see the "charging" rate change, as the app is measuring total draw... theoretically. That's also why using a stronger USB charger than factory won't charge the battery faster, as the phone determines how much power to actually feed the battery.

Now, if your phone is charging slower than it used to or not at all and you've tried swapping cables (including trying a brand new one), then the most likely culprit is the port itself going bad inside the phone.