Hi, can anyone tell me why web links Iv saved into Goggle Keep only show as text in desk top?

Nana Helen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Iv been using Google Keep to keep track of some research. But I can't work out how to copy "fixed" or uneditable text on an android device.
So Iv been saving links that I want some text from, into Google Keep.
This afternoon I had a few hours, so went into Google Keep on my laptop to follow the links then copy & paste the info I want back into Google Keep.

But on the laptop the links weren't links anymore, they were just plain text!

I went back to my tablet and checked the links again, & yes they worked. I found Google Keep Help but that didn't help.

Can anyone help with any of this, please.
(I've also got a post in here asking if anyone can help with copying text that seems to have no copy options)

Sent from my MID using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Iv been using Google Keep to keep track of some research. But I can't work out how to copy "fixed" or uneditable text on an android device.
This afternoon I had a few hours, so went into Google Keep on my laptop to follow the links then copy & paste the info I want back into Google Keep.

I went back to my tablet and checked the links again, & yes they worked. I found Google Keep Help but that didn't help.

(I've also got a post in here asking if anyone can help with copying text that seems to have no copy options)

This might be a weird way to do this, but you could open those links in Chrome on your mobile device, wait a few minutes, and if you have Chrome on your PC, and are signed in with the same Gmail account, you can just go into History (The 3 horizontal lines in the upper right hand corner) and then click on that link.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A link is "plain text".

For example, the link to this page is

forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/338591-hi-can-anyone-tell-me-why-web-links-iv-saved-into-goggle-keep-only-show-text-desk-top.html

Just plain old text. HTML is just text. (Even the pictures are really just links - they link to picture files stored elsewhere.)

Or am I totally misunderstanding your question?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I think op wants to click the link in the keep note but it's being displayed as plain text, not a hyper link. You'll have to copy then paste that link into your browser to visit the site.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

To copy text just press and hold where the text is. If you want to "select all" there is a button at the top of the screen to the left of the rest, a square with 4 dark windows in it, tap that and it selects all.

Then there is the option to "copy" that pops up in a window (if it doesn't tap the button on top that looks like one piece of paper on top of another).

And then just go to where you want to paste, long press and "paste" pops up, tap that, and presto, your copied text appears. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I think op wants to click the link in the keep note but it's being displayed as plain text, not a hyper link. You'll have to copy then paste that link into your browser to visit the site.
Didn't think of that one.

I don't have Google Keep, but I suspect that it's keeping links in some format that the laptop (I assume the browser in the laptop) wouldn't understand as a link. For instance, here on the forum, if I post Android Central, what's actually being saved on the page is [url=http://forums.androidcentral.com]Android Central[/url]. Copying that and pasting it into your browser will actually (through the magic of the code that makes up the forum) paste in the link, starting with the http:// part. If Google Keep is using some form of URL encoding like that to keep URLs internally, they couldn't be usable to just copy and paste. (Which is why some email spam says something to the effect of "If you use an AOL browser, copy the following address and paste it into your browser".)

One of these days, someone will standardize the word "standardize", and life will become a lot easier for all of us. Until then, "standard" means "the way I do it, and I don't care how you do it."

Nana Helen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
This might be a weird way to do this, but you could open those links in Chrome on your mobile device, wait a few minutes, and if you have Chrome on your PC, and are signed in with the same Gmail account, you can just go into History (The 3 horizontal lines in the upper right hand corner) and then click on that link.

Iv uninstalled Chrome cos it was causing problems :(
But thanks anyway

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AC Forums mobile app

Nana Helen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
A link is "plain text".

For example, the link to this page is

forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/338591-hi-can-anyone-tell-me-why-web-links-iv-saved-into-goggle-keep-only-show-text-desk-top.html

Just plain old text. HTML is just text. (Even the pictures are really just links - they link to picture files stored elsewhere.)

Or am I totally misunderstanding your question?

Um yeah i think so. I think its called hyperlink, but wasnt sure enuf to use it here.
What i mean is a URL that has been put somewhere like in an email or in a post in here, with the blue line under it. Then when someone clicks on or touches it it takes u to the web page.
Is that better worded?

Nana Helen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

That sounds like it would work :):p

Nana Helen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
To copy text just press and hold where the text is. If you want to "select all" there is a button at the top of the screen to the left of the rest, a square with 4 dark windows in it, tap that and it selects all.

Then there is the option to "copy" that pops up in a window (if it doesn't tap the button on top that looks like one piece of paper on top of another).

And then just go to where you want to paste, long press and "paste" pops up, tap that, and presto, your copied text appears. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, that sounds promising too :)
I know how to copy some things but still learning :p

Nana Helen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Didn't think of that one.

I don't have Google Keep, but I suspect that it's keeping links in some format that the laptop (I assume the browser in the laptop) wouldn't understand as a link. For instance, here on the forum, if I post Android Central, what's actually being saved on the page is [url=http://forums.androidcentral.com]Android Central[/url]. Copying that and pasting it into your browser will actually (through the magic of the code that makes up the forum) paste in the link, starting with the http:// part. If Google Keep is using some form of URL encoding like that to keep URLs internally, they couldn't be usable to just copy and paste. (Which is why some email spam says something to the effect of "If you use an AOL browser, copy the following address and paste it into your browser".)

One of these days, someone will standardize the word "standardize", and life will become a lot easier for all of us. Until then, "standard" means "the way I do it, and I don't care how you do it."

Lol i like that! And i DID like it :p

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I understand you now. You have to understand what a link is. It has 2 parts. One is the URL, the address out there on the internet. Like google.com. The other part is the text that shows. I could post a link to Google that says "Google.Com", I could post one that says "Google", one that says "here" (as in "you can get that here (that's not a link, don't try clicking on it) - but they all LINK TO google.com. (You can play with the BBCode here - that's a kind of "html" code you can use on bulletin boards [I'm showing my ancienticity] now called forums [or fora if you're pedantic] and make all kinds of things look like what they aren't.)

The point is that with SOME apps, when you copy the "link", you pick up the stuff behind the text, the google.com part. Paste that in a browser and it works. But with other apps, what you pick up is the text. So instead of google.com, all you get is here, and that won't work no matter where you paste it.

As I've been saying for (it's a long time - project "invent something we'll call a dinosaur" was being thought about back then), standards are wonderful - if they'd ever get standardized. What amazes me (and I've been writing this stuff - computer code - for longer than a lot of the kids posting here have been ... well, been) is that some of it actually works. And works as well as it does. I write an operating system and publish specs on it. Well, specs close to the system I wrote. Except that I changed it a bit before I actually released it. And made a few mistakes in the specs. You come along, buy one of these devices, read my specs, write an app that's supposed to do something, it slmost does, except ... so you figure out how to get around that. Oh, and this spec seems wrong so you try ... oh, yeah, that works.

And your app actually works, written on specs that aren't even close to the system you wrote it to run on.Darned clever animals, these humans. Maybe we ought to keep them round for a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude