HELP PLEASE!!! Samsung Galaxy S4; 4.3 Update turned off WiFi for good?

PwnYourFace

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I recently updated my Galaxy S4 to Android 4.3; the update went 100% fine, no issues, no errors, nothing. After the apparently perfect install, I turn it on to find out WiFi WON'T turn on. The WiFi setting stays on "off" no matter how many times I click on it. I tried putting it in Airplane mode, but that didn't do anything either. I tried restoring to Factory Settings and that didn't work, either. I can't set anything up because it doesn't let me even turn WiFi on and I don't have signal because I purchased the phone unlocked. Please help me out! I have no clue what's going on. This never happened before on 4.2.2 and now I can't even use the phone. HELP!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When you say you restored to factory settings, do you mean you did a full factory data reset?

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried turning wifi on directly from the Settings menu, rather than the quick settings or widget?

Posted via Android Central App

PwnYourFace

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah; I've tried doing the quick settings on the drop down menu, I've tried the widget, and I've tried going into the Settings menu and trying to press it. It lets me drag it to the "On" position and returns it automatically to the "Off" position. It doesn't even turn green or anything like it usually would if you put WiFi "On".

PwnYourFace

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Do you know/think there is any way that I can downgrade back to 4.2.2, maybe?
I'm stuck and unfortunately I can't use mobile data because I'm not on a network. Basically I'm screwed without a phone now. I really need to fix this or get back to 4.2.2 at least.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Let me see if one of the other Ambassadors who knows more about Samsung can help out ...

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Do you know/think there is any way that I can downgrade back to 4.2.2, maybe?
I'm stuck and unfortunately I can't use mobile data because I'm not on a network. Basically I'm screwed without a phone now. I really need to fix this or get back to 4.2.2 at least.

What carrier is the phone through?
Do you have your own PC to use?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

PwnYourFace

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
What carrier is the phone through?
Do you have your own PC to use?

Yes, I have my own computer to use.
And it is a T-Mobile phone. Not on the network currently because I'm moving out of the country soon.

And thank you so much B. Diddy! I really appreciate all the help :D

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I have my own computer to use.
And it is a T-Mobile phone. Not on the network currently because I'm moving out of the country soon.

And thank you so much B. Diddy! I really appreciate all the help :D

Samsung updates.com has a library of stock ROMs.
Look for your EXACT model number, and download it.
You will need a program called Odin. Download and install that.
Look over this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=300296
[Guide][Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN
And ask any questions before starting.

PwnYourFace

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Look over this: [Guide][Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

If it wasn't because my wife would get mad, I'd probably kiss you right now. Thank you so much. I'll do this right now and tomorrow morning and get back to you with my results. Thank you SO much.

PwnYourFace

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Look over this: [Guide][Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Regarding the stock ROM; I went to the website and found the exact model I have and everything. My question comes at the download page, because it gives you two options: Option 1: Stock Firmware and Option 2: Kernel File. Do I need both or just one?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the stock ROM; I went to the website and found the exact model I have and everything. My question comes at the download page, because it gives you two options: Option 1: Stock Firmware and Option 2: Kernel File. Do I need both or just one?

Stock firmware.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You guys are amazing. Thank you so much. I am eternally in your debt. I appreciate all the help you guys gave me. Everything went through 100%; you guys are the best! Thank you so freaking much!!!

No sweat. Glad it went well. See you around the forums.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You guys are amazing. Thank you so much. I am eternally in your debt. I appreciate all the help you guys gave me. Everything went through 100%; you guys are the best! Thank you so freaking much!!!

To the OP: You may get update notifications in the future. You can ignore them, but from what I have heard if you keep hitting install later, it will force it back on. However, since you already took the OTA, as far as Samsung knows, you are up to date.