Galaxy S4 Absolutely no sound. Phone app crashing regularly.

tradgras

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I got an AT&T S4 about 6 mo. ago. Within the last week it has been randomly turning off sound, and crashing when making phone calls.

I'll pull out the phone and try to open a youtube video, and then realize it's making no sound. I then reset the phone and the sound starts working again. I just tried doing that and the sound remained off even after the restart. I then tried to access >settings >my device >Volume, and it crashed. I tried again to access >volume and it works (though there's still no sound.)

Around the same time (about a week ago) I noticed that when I made phone calls and put the phone up to my ear it didn't make the regular sound (assuming it just indicates that it's making the call) and then the phone froze completely. The recipient of the phone call couldn't hear me and, after pressing the lock button, it returned me to the lock screen with the green phone icon in the corner. I *could* access the restart/power off/etc.. menu but nothing happened when I pushed the buttons. The last time this happened I had to remove the back plate and take out the battery. I just tried to call the S4 and upon answering I received no sound and could send no sound to the other phone. Then there was a pop-up on the phone: "Activity Phone isn't responding. Do you want to close it?" I hit ok it returned me to the home screen.

It's been acting a little slowly and (what appears to be) hanging every now and then. Any help would be much appreciated. I can post more information if you need it. I have android 4.2.2

sadaf2k

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
i upgraded firmware to 4.3 jelly bean. since than whenever i tried to make phone calls , my phone restart. some time it restart twice. please let me know if some has solution of this problem.

tradgras

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
i upgraded firmware to 4.3 jelly bean. since than whenever i tried to make phone calls , my phone restart. some time it restart twice. please let me know if some has solution of this problem.

I actually had the same problem with 4.3. I took it into get fixed and they said they thought it was a problem with the update. They gave me a new phone with 4.2.2 and told me not to update. If you're still under warranty I'd recommend taking it to a service center and see if they can roll it back to 4.2.2 or give you a new phone. Good luck!

LadyTravel

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
This totally worked...thanks so much...well it worked for a little bit. Now the phone is ringing, I can hear them answer but when they begin talking, it goes out again...HELP!!!

Last edited:

lovely242

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem loosing sound and message 'Activity phone is not responding' I tried to wipe the cache which said 'cache wipe complete' but the phone did not restart automatically, it just stayed on the recovery screen. So I had to select the reboot now option and when I did, underneath the android image it said 'error' but rebooted anyway. It had sound for 5 minutes and then I locked the phone using the power button. Tried to unlock, and it froze and then shut off again. Please Help!

lovely242

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I got an AT&T S4 about 6 mo. ago. Within the last week it has been randomly turning off sound, and crashing when making phone calls.

I'll pull out the phone and try to open a youtube video, and then realize it's making no sound. I then reset the phone and the sound starts working again. I just tried doing that and the sound remained off even after the restart. I then tried to access >settings >my device >Volume, and it crashed. I tried again to access >volume and it works (though there's still no sound.)

Around the same time (about a week ago) I noticed that when I made phone calls and put the phone up to my ear it didn't make the regular sound (assuming it just indicates that it's making the call) and then the phone froze completely. The recipient of the phone call couldn't hear me and, after pressing the lock button, it returned me to the lock screen with the green phone icon in the corner. I *could* access the restart/power off/etc.. menu but nothing happened when I pushed the buttons. The last time this happened I had to remove the back plate and take out the battery. I just tried to call the S4 and upon answering I received no sound and could send no sound to the other phone. Then there was a pop-up on the phone: "Activity Phone isn't responding. Do you want to close it?" I hit ok it returned me to the home screen.

It's been acting a little slowly and (what appears to be) hanging every now and then. Any help would be much appreciated. I can post more information if you need it. I have android 4.2.2

I had the same problem loosing sound and message 'Activity phone is not responding' I tried to wipe the cache which said 'cache wipe complete' but the phone did not restart automatically, it just stayed on the recovery screen. So I had to select the reboot now option and when I did, underneath the android image it said 'error' but rebooted anyway. It had sound for 5 minutes and then I locked the phone using the power button. Tried to unlock, and it froze and then shut off again. Please Help!

EricGriffith

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem after updating to 4.4.4. It seemed that making or receiving a call caused the sound to stop working. I rebooted into safe mode and found that I could make calls and the sound worked afterwards. I then removed several apps that I didn't use frequently and rebooted into normal mode. The phone seems to be working normally now. I'm not sure which app I removed may have been the cause.

CraigMatthews85

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S4 Absolutely no sound - semi fixing

Hi,

The cache partition solution worked for me but only for 10 - 20 mins and then the sound is suddenly gone again.
It works each time for short periods of time (same resolution with a factory reset)

If anyone has any ideas or solutions i would be forever grateful!

Thanks in advance

Jacob Greenwood

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
This happens to me too. It will happen for anywhere between a day to 6 months. I haven't figured out anything that fixes it or causes it. I've tried factory reset, wiping the cash partition, etc. Very frustrating.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary