Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hunsdale
  • 1 Post By Rukbat
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Getting Frustrated So Help Would Be Nice

Ok so someone just got me a smart phone ( galaxy s3) and to be honest it is pissing me off trying to figure it all out. I'm getting there but still having trouble so I will list what they are because they may all be related.

1. When i take a picture with my camera the picture shows up in the gallery folder fine. Then I hook it up to the computer and open the picture folder it is not there. This I think may be related to my second Issue

2. When i hook my phone up I get 2 Drives and I assume one is the sd card ( which is 2 gb and I do not have an sd card put in so unless its internal? And then there is a second drive which I assume is the phone itself ( may be where the camera pictures are.) Buuuuuuuuut and now here is the part really pissing me off. I cannot gain access to the second drive which is most likely the phones drive.

*** you can see the one drive is greyed out ( the phone drive ) and when I click it acts like it is not hooked up or something like there is no drive. the exact wording is. Please insert disk into removeable drive G: but the phone is hooked up and connected so I do not get it.

and lastly

3. when i try to disable some apps on my phone it will not let me. the force stop is there but the disable button is greyed out and unclick able. I get that it may be set so you cant stop needed things but one of the things that I want off is bluetooth but it wont let me disable it and it always starts back up when i force stop it.

Any help would be great and try and keep it as simple as possible because I am new to the smartphone world lol.

Default Re: Getting Frustrated So Help Would Be Nice

Welcome to Android Central! The folder where the camera stores photos is /storage/emulated/0/DCIM/Camera. Are you looking there? The Picture folder is used for other purposes (e.g., screenshots are stored there).

Bluetooth shouldn't keep turning on if you switched it off. How are you turning it off? There should be a toggle switch in the quick settings menu. Otherwise, go to Settings/Wireless, and turn the switch off there. The Disable option is for apps, not hardware, and is useful for preventing unwanted bloatware from opening and using up RAM.

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central! The folder where the camera stores photos is /storage/emulated/0/DCIM/Camera. Are you looking there? The Picture folder is used for other purposes (e.g., screenshots are stored there).

Bluetooth shouldn't keep turning on if you switched it off. How are you turning it off? There should be a toggle switch in the quick settings menu. Otherwise, go to Settings/Wireless, and turn the switch off there. The Disable option is for apps, not hardware, and is useful for preventing unwanted bloatware from opening and using up RAM.

- found the pictures from camera
    - blue tooth is toggled off but it still appears in running apps and then I force stop it and in a few minutes its back running?
    - lastly any idea about the second drive i cannot access is there a reason for that? or maybe the second drive is the sd drive and no open because there is no sd chip?

thanks alot for your help and quick reply

Don't worry too much about apps that "run in the background." It's the way Android handles apps and RAM. A recently used app will often remain in system RAM for a while, in case it will be used again soon, to allow for quicker and more efficient app switching. If RAM is needed for another app, Android will drop a less frequently used app out of RAM. Read this article for more info: RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central

Not sure about that greyed out 2nd drive. What USB mode is your phone connecting with? You can find out by swiping down the Notifications while connected via USB, and tapping the USB Connection icon. It will give you a few options and show which one is currently selected. These days, the only options are typically MTP (default) and PTP (older, not really used much). MTP gives access to some folders, but not all. I suppose the greyed out drive could represent the absent external SD card, as you suggest. You could try inserting an SD, then plugging the phone back in, and seeing if the drive becomes available.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

it is just connected as usb storage. when I switch to the mtp,ptp ones no drives show up. Im thinking it may just be the absent sd card so when i get a chance ill get out there grab one and see how it works.

pretty much all is answered tho so thanks you were a lot of help and I appreciate it.
    B. Diddy likes this.

My pleasure! USB Mass Storage is an older option that is typically no longer available on newer phones--I wasn't sure if it would be an option on the S3. That option connects the phone like an external hard drive, typically with 2 drives representing Internal Storage and External SD. So the greyed out drive almost certainly represents the absent card.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

older eh lol I wonder if it would be worth looking into updating the firmware. Can you do that on android phones? I did it on my psp To keep it up to date but I dunno if i wanna screw with a Phones firmware because it seems like a bad idea to screw with something so important on a device your not confident in doing it to.

Updating the operating system is essentially updating the firmware. You can always check under Settings/About Phone/System Updates to see if any are officially available for your phone, but the S3 probably won't be getting any more updates directly from your wireless provider or Samsung. You can always flash a custom ROM to update the system beyond what's available, but this requires rooting the phone.

For what it's worth, I like the USB Mass Storage setting, because you can access more of the phone from the computer. The downside is that USB Mass Storage requires more partitioning of the phone's memory, which reduces the available space for apps. See more here: [GUIDE] Android Memory and How to Deal with Low Memory Warnings
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I will for sure look into it but I really cant see a reason to change anything. What do you think is it worth it? Like i did the psp because it can play iso's with the custm firmware Is there any major benifit to adroid phones with the custom firmware?

There are a number of potential benefits, like enjoying the features of newer OS versions (i.e., KitKat), but the downsides include potential glitches and also the possibility of bricking your phone if something goes wrong. I don't do custom ROMs, so I can't give you too much feedback on it.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Ok ill do my reading on them and see if i see a benifit worth making the attempt again thanks for your help and have a great day.

ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

The only reason for a non-techie to use a custom ROM is that it does something (or allows you to do something) that no app running in the stock ROM will let you do. AND you really, really want to do it. (I'm not risking bricking my phone to play with Droid Sheep.) In most cases (most probably = 99%+) you won't gain anything from using a custom ROM that you can't get another, safer way. And you won't risk turning your $500 phone into a $500 garden ornament.

For techies, it;s a different story. I used to reflash ROMS on my old Precedent about 3 times a week. This one did this better, that one did that better. But it's a cheap phone (sells new now for about $50). I sometimes play solitaire on it, otherwise I just keep the battery charged. (It'll always dial 911, activated or not, so who knows?)

As far as your drives, I suspect that F: is your internal "SD card" (that's kind of a misnomer) and the G: drive is the drive you WOULD HAVE if you put an external SD card in the phone. SD card readers do show as drives with letters (in Windows) but you get that "insert disk" in any reader that has nothing in it. (Old camera XD readers did it, SD card and CF card readers do it.) You have 2GB of internal storage (don't confuse that with "memory" or RAM), so you might want to pick up a 16GB or 32GB card to stick in there to store stuff. A program like App Backup and Restore can keep backups of all your apps on the external card and you can uninstall what you won't be using for a while and install something you have backed up. It's not as good as 64GB of internal storage, but it extends the useful life of an older phone. (BTW, if you're going to do that, a Class 4 card will probably save you a lot of money. The class of the card is the speed. If the app is running in the card, you want Class 10 [this week - by January they may have Class 20 cards]. But if you''re just going to spend a couple of minutes loading a game into the phone, waiting 10 more seconds is nothing. And the card is less than half the price. Oh, and stick to San Disk. Good manufacturer, good product and a dream to work with if you have a problem. [I've heard of them replacing counterfeit cards - not even their product, but it had their name on it, so ...]

Oh, and turn off OTA updates, if you can; And if you're told that there's an update waiting and that you should install it, wait at least a week or so. It seems as if they introduced a few (for humongous values of "few") bugs in the latest updates, so I'd wait until it all got straightened out and they issued an update to update the update that downdated the phone.

Enjoy the world of Android. I think you're going to love it.
    B. Diddy likes this.