Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By mrsmumbles
  • 2 Post By missdreamweaver
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Question Lots of Potentially Interrelated Issues

    Yay, I graduated from my flip phone and got a hand-me-down HTC EVO Shift 4G. I am usually adept enough to figure out most computer things eventually, but I'm having some troubles getting this thing to do what it ought to, and I think these problems might be related.

    First of all, I had troubles getting my gmail account linked. I knew it was the right password, because I used it to sign in on the computer, but it didn't work. This happened once before when I tried to check my mail on a friend's phone, but when I checked my email on a computer the next day, I had gotten an email saying that someone had tried to get into my mail and it was suspicious, and I was offered some code or something (i forget what cause I didn't care at the time) to fix the issue. But this time I didn't get an email regarding a security breech.

    I decided to try something else and come back to that later. I played around with my available apps for a little bit before deciding I wanted to download some more. But to get into the Market I was prompted to Sync with my Google account. After it failed again I decided to try a new approach. I changed my password on the computer and when I tried the new password on my phone I was allowed so Sync for the first time on my phone. Weird but okay, whatever.

    I found a few apps and clicked to download. The phone said 'your download will begin shortly'. I tried 3 different apps multiple times, but kept getting the same error message: Downloading failed, please try again (or something close to that). I looked online at some forums that suggested a variety of things, and so I tried a bunch of stuff. Turned it on and off again, took out the battery pack, tried clearing various caches or whatever.

    Apparently I am worse off now than I was, the Market app won't open. When I touch the app to open, it shows a white screen and says Loading... with the little wheel. Sometimes it shows this for 10-15 seconds, sometimes just 2-3, sometimes it only flashes for a moment, but in the end it just goes back to the home screen.

    Also I can't sign into gmail either. Touching the app takes me to a black screen that says "Your email will appear shortly." and "Waiting for sync" in the top corner. It never gets past that page. I even went into Settings>Accounts&sync>Google and manually told it to sync, but it doesn't help.

    What is going on? Please share if you know how to fix these problems! Thanks!

    Edit: I am running on Android 2.2.3. Should I have Google Play instead of Market? If so, how do I get that? I have updated everything in the System updates. Honestly I don't know the difference between Firmware and software
    Last edited by missdreamweaver; 12-02-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: added detail: android version 2.2.3
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Lots of Potentially Interrelated Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by missdreamweaver View Post
    Yay, I graduated from my flip phone and got a hand-me-down HTC EVO Shift 4G. I am usually adept enough to figure out most computer things eventually, but I'm having some troubles getting this thing to do what it ought to, and I think these problems might be related.

    First of all, I had troubles getting my gmail account linked. I knew it was the right password, because I used it to sign in on the computer, but it didn't work. This happened once before when I tried to check my mail on a friend's phone, but when I checked my email on a computer the next day, I had gotten an email saying that someone had tried to get into my mail and it was suspicious, and I was offered some code or something (i forget what cause I didn't care at the time) to fix the issue. But this time I didn't get an email regarding a security breech.

    I decided to try something else and come back to that later. I played around with my available apps for a little bit before deciding I wanted to download some more. But to get into the Market I was prompted to Sync with my Google account. After it failed again I decided to try a new approach. I changed my password on the computer and when I tried the new password on my phone I was allowed so Sync for the first time on my phone. Weird but okay, whatever.

    I found a few apps and clicked to download. The phone said 'your download will begin shortly'. I tried 3 different apps multiple times, but kept getting the same error message: Downloading failed, please try again (or something close to that). I looked online at some forums that suggested a variety of things, and so I tried a bunch of stuff. Turned it on and off again, took out the battery pack, tried clearing various caches or whatever.

    Apparently I am worse off now than I was, the Market app won't open. When I touch the app to open, it shows a white screen and says Loading... with the little wheel. Sometimes it shows this for 10-15 seconds, sometimes just 2-3, sometimes it only flashes for a moment, but in the end it just goes back to the home screen.

    Also I can't sign into gmail either. Touching the app takes me to a black screen that says "Your email will appear shortly." and "Waiting for sync" in the top corner. It never gets past that page. I even went into Settings>Accounts&sync>Google and manually told it to sync, but it doesn't help.

    What is going on? Please share if you know how to fix these problems! Thanks!

    Edit: I am running on Android 2.2.3. Should I have Google Play instead of Market? If so, how do I get that? I have updated everything in the System updates. Honestly I don't know the difference between Firmware and software
    Hi Dreamweaver. Welcome to ac forums.

    What a mess! I feel for you, and its gone from bad to worse!
    I'm surprised no one has answered yet, there are some great guys & gals in here that seem to know everything about everything sometimes. I'll keep an eye on this thread and maybe prompt one or 2 to hav a look if needed.

    I can't really help you, but I can explain the "code thing" with Google and/or gmail, and something else too. Plus might be able to put a few helpful links to relevent info

    A while ago gmail set up a 2 step verification" as a higher security against hackers. - I'll be back in a minute, I'll come back into this post and edit it.

    Sent from my MID using AC Forums mobile app

    EDIT: Sorry, i got severely sidetracked.
    But the guys are looking after you now so i'l step down
    But i will follow this out of interest anyway
    Last edited by Nana Helen; 12-02-2013 at 11:50 PM.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Lots of Potentially Interrelated Issues

    Welcome to Android Central! Nana Helen brings up a good point--did you ever activate Google's 2-step authentication? This is a smart way to improve your overall security, but it does require you to jump through a couple of hoops when you log into your Google account for the first time using a new device.

    It's a little hard to pinpoint what's going on. The first thing I'd suggest is removing your Google account, then adding it back. You should be able to remove your Google account by going to Settings/Accounts, select Google, then select your Google account, then press the Menu button and select Remove Account.

    Once that's done, you'll probably be prompted to add a Google account. If you aren't, then go to Settings/Accounts, and tap Add Account. Proceed from there to add your Google account back, and make sure you enter the password correctly. If you have 2-step authentication activated, you may be prompted to do an extra step.

    The Google Play Store should have replaced the Android Market in all phones from Android 2.2 onward. Are you sure your phone is completely up to date? Go to Settings/About Phone/System Update, and tap Check for Update.
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  
    Rukbat's Avatar

    Posts
    1,226 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,227 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

    Default Re: Lots of Potentially Interrelated Issues

    Go to Google Play on your computer Find the apps you want and install them. (If it already says installed, ignore it - ther button will still work.) Make sure it's installing to your real phone. (You should have only 1 listed, and Google has never made a mistake, but just to be sure ...)

    You have to have an active phone account. You have to be connected to the internet, but it can be through the phone (3G/4G) or through wifi.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Lots of Potentially Interrelated Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    Go to Google Play on your computer Find the apps you want and install them. (If it already says installed, ignore it - ther button will still work.) Make sure it's installing to your real phone. (You should have only 1 listed, and Google has never made a mistake, but just to be sure ...)

    You have to have an active phone account. You have to be connected to the internet, but it can be through the phone (3G/4G) or through wifi.
    I didnt know u could download apps to yr phone from yr computer!
    Thats weird lol
    I wondered why it still had the install option

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using AC Forums mobile app
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Lots of Potentially Interrelated Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Nana Helen View Post
    I didnt know u could download apps to yr phone from yr computer!
    If you're using the Google Play Store on the web and you click Install, it will prompt you to select one of your devices to install to. The next time your device is on the web and syncing with Google, the install will occur automatically.
    Thanked by:
    Nana Helen likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Lots of Potentially Interrelated Issues

    In addition, except for the play store app closing, it kind of sounds like it's maybe just your connection is way slow. Do you have anything else connected the same way? For example are you maybe on WiFi with a few other devices sharing the connection?

    I hope you've worked it out.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Lots of Potentially Interrelated Issues

    Updates! First of all, thank you all so much for helping out! You're right Nana, it is a mess, but with all this help I'm starting to work through it.

    " I'd suggest is removing your Google account, then adding it back. " B Diddy
    Tried it, and I can sign in to my gmail now! Thank you

    My connection isn't great, but it isn't bad. I'm connected to Ting (Sprint's beautiful ******* baby of cheap plan-less service) and it's usually 3G but I can turn on 4G but I really have no idea what that means, I thought it meant faster connection but when I turned it on it didn't seem to have any effect on download speed, so I turned it off so that I don't get any extra charges

    So after posting I kept researching different ways to fix similar problems and as far as I could tell, all the different ways to do stuff involved restarting the phone, clearing out data or caches, and loging in and out of various accounts. So I tried all of that, like a million times. It seems that various combinations of clearing and restarting stuff seemed to show progress, so this is where I am now:
    - Gmail and Google Talk both work (for a while Android Market was telling me i needed Google Talk to be functional)
    - I am capable of searching and downloading apps and most downloads seem to be successful. Ever since I got the downloads working again, there was one fairly large app that didn't work. It got most of the way done (it was around 90% the last time i checked it) but then it said the download failed I don't know if that was a connection thing or what, but i will try that again soon.
    - I am still running Android Market. I have done all the system updates that I can do, but it is still Android Market. All the forums and help guides say that it should automatically change itself if I just go in and download an app, but so far I've downloaded 7 and that hasn't happened yet. I even went to this website and followed directions but the links to download the update are bunk :
    - I tried going to on my computer like Rukbat suggested, but I didn't have my USB cord handy, and it wouldn't let me download it directly to the phone. This sounds like a good fix if it were just a connection problem, but I think there's more to it.
    - A few times now, the phone has randomly decided to shut off. Once I saw it was off after a few hours of running around and not checking it, and I had to plug it in to get it to turn back on. The battery said it was at 40% when I did get it back on. The second time it did it right after I had messaged someone, I wasn't doing anything crazy or strenuous for the phone. I set it down for 5 minutes but when I picked it up to check if my friend had messaged me back, it had turned off. It booted up without being plugged in though. This may be related to other weird issues - like how I got the phone for $17 and the weird problem with the SD card. But that's a whole different story.

    So now I'm trying to get Google Play on there. Does anyone know of an active place where I can download it?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Lots of Potentially Interrelated Issues

    For a moment I thought I just answered that last question. I thought I found a place to download the Google Play app:


    I can't get it to work. I tried downloading it from the webpage on my phone, but it didn't work. First is said the download failed (my connection is at 5/6 bars). So I told it to retry. Now I've got a whole new bucket of problems. Four of the seven apps I downloaded in the past 24 hours have been magically uninstalled and it is no longer recognizing my SD Card.

    Here is the deal with the phone - I accidentally bought it on ebay for $7 thinking I was getting a great deal - but I didn't read the fine print that said it had no battery or cover and the seller didn't know if it worked or not. So I took it to the Radio Shack and borrowed a battery to see if it even turns on. It does - yay. So I ordered the extended battery pack that comes with the big back to fit for $10 and now I've got myself a phone, right? Well shortly after turning it on and switching my service over and playing around I found that I needed an SD card. No big deal I took one out of my old phone. Once I put it in the phone wouldn't turn on. So I took out the card and it still wouldn't turn on. After a day of being rather upset and playing around with it I figured it out: When you put in the SD card there is a little button to push down to keep it in place. If you push down the button the phone won't turn on. If I leave the button up, the battery itself keeps the SD card in place and the phone works fine. I just have a super fat phone, but I'm okay with that.

    Okay so I disconnected it from my computer and now those apps work again and the SD card is recognized again. Weird.

    So I still don't know where to download the Google Play to replace Android Market. Also until I get Google Play on my phone, the website won't let me download to my phone because it isn't recognizing my device.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Lots of Potentially Interrelated Issues

    I know you may like the challenges (some people do) but seeing as you paid so little for that phone if it were me I'd just get something else that does work.

    Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
    B. Diddy likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Lots of Potentially Interrelated Issues

    Wow. Please don't let this put you off Android, because your experience is not the norm. I suspect it has to do with the fact that your phone is used, and its funkiness may be why the seller was trying to get rid of it!

    AndroidPolice.com usually has links for the most current Google Play Store apk installer file--they're a legit site, so I think their links are trustworthy. On your phone's browser, go to this website: . Download the apk, then go to your Downloads shortcut and tap on the apk file. This should install the latest version of Google Play Store, and replace your outdated Android Market. I don't believe there will be any compatibility issues.
  12. #12  
    Rukbat's Avatar

    Posts
    1,226 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,227 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

    Default Re: Lots of Potentially Interrelated Issues

    Android has made a change in {policy?|concept?|something?} since it started. Google Market used to be just an app you could go to the market with and download apps. (I spent my first 6 months on Android using a computer to download apps, because 68 year old eyes and a 3.5" screen don't work so well together.)

    Google Play is now not just Google Market with a new name. Instead of sending us updates that are HUGE files of basically the entire operating system with minor changes (changing that arrow from gray to blue was a great improvement, Samsung, let me tell you. About on a level with adding 2cc of water to the Pacific.) Play is now part of most of the operating system itself. If you turn off almost any Google app, your phone stops doing some major things (like making phone calls, running apps, etc.) But if they want to change that arrow back to gray, it's a tiny little upload.

    If you can download an app from the Play store, stop worrying about the naming difference. Choose your favorite way, using the phone or using a browser, download the app you want and enjoy it.

    And in about a year you'll be looking for an Android phone you can also use as a laptop. And "loving" the manufacturers and carriers as much as the rest of us do.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Lots of Potentially Interrelated Issues

    Android Police had the answer it took me to this site:


    Thanks B Diddy!

    Yay! that was bugging me because I was getting old versions of apps through the Android Market that were malfunctioning.

    The only reason I have a smartphone now is because I found that deal. I don't really have the means to just buy a phone that's guaranteed to work. My income is under the poverty line (by choice, I work for AmeriCorps, so technically I'm a professional volunteer) and what money I do have has been spent on Christmas gifts for the small children in my life. I probably could save up and eventually get a nicer phone, but I am happier spending my money on my friends and family. To be honest, I should probably be spending less on them and pay more on my credit card and student loan debt, but whatever.

    So after all this fuss to avoid a factory reset, I'm thinking about doing it anyways. The phone runs kinda slow sometimes and has a tendency to freeze up on occasion. Maybe it is a slightly faulty device, but it's the first smart phone I've ever had and I've worked my **** off to get it going, so now I'm slightly emotionally attached, after 4 whole days :-P Would anyone recommend a good backup program for my contacts and apps and such?
    B. Diddy and Nana Helen like this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Lots of Potentially Interrelated Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by missdreamweaver View Post
    Android Police had the answer it took me to this site:


    Thanks B Diddy!

    Yay! that was bugging me because I was getting old versions of apps through the Android Market that were malfunctioning.

    The only reason I have a smartphone now is because I found that deal. I don't really have the means to just buy a phone that's guaranteed to work. My income is under the poverty line (by choice, I work for AmeriCorps, so technically I'm a professional volunteer) and what money I do have has been spent on Christmas gifts for the small children in my life. I probably could save up and eventually get a nicer phone, but I am happier spending my money on my friends and family. To be honest, I should probably be spending less on them and pay more on my credit card and student loan debt, but whatever.

    So after all this fuss to avoid a factory reset, I'm thinking about doing it anyways. The phone runs kinda slow sometimes and has a tendency to freeze up on occasion. Maybe it is a slightly faulty device, but it's the first smart phone I've ever had and I've worked my **** off to get it going, so now I'm slightly emotionally attached, after 4 whole days :-P Would anyone recommend a good backup program for my contacts and apps and such?
    Thats great! Well done!!!!!

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using AC Forums mobile app
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Lots of Potentially Interrelated Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by missdreamweaver View Post
    Would anyone recommend a good backup program for my contacts and apps and such?
    Glad it worked!

    As long as your contacts are all Google contacts, there's no reason to back them up any other way. You can tell if your contacts are associated with your Google account by going to the People app, selecting the contact, and editing it. It should tell you at the top of the screen if it's associated with your Google account or your "Phone" account. Contacts in the Phone account are kind of useless, because you can't sync them with Google. I think they might get stored on the SIM card, but not sure. The Phone account is mostly useful if you back up your contacts using some 3rd party service like Verizon's Backup Assistant Plus (which is not worth it, in my opinion).

    You don't have to back up your apps, because once you've purchased/installed them from Google Play or Amazon Appstore, there will be a record of your installation. So when you start fresh, all you do is go to either of those app stores, find the area where your app history is, and then start installing them again. The only thing you might consider backing up is any data generated by any of those apps, if it's important (like, for example, an edited photo).

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-10-2013, 01:51 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-09-2013, 10:05 AM
  3. Effect of Upgrading One of Two Unlimited Lines
    By Phoenix111 in forum Verizon
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-03-2013, 09:27 PM
  4. Issue using GPS app over Bluetooth in my car
    By SkyrocketJamz in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-02-2013, 04:19 PM
  5. Notification issue
    By dmanero in forum HTC One
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-02-2013, 02:41 PM

Posting Permissions

B