Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kid0
  • 1 Post By Kid0
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation Alternative way to perform factory reset

My friend's daughter was playing with the unlocking screen and of course she used up all the attempts and locked the device for good. Since this tablet was bought some time ago just for her amusement, no one remembers what was the google account they used - possibly a phony one created just for the purpose of using the device. This discards google recovery as an option.

It's a cheapo tablet sold here by Walmart under ONN brand. I did some research and have found it's being made by YiFang Digital and marketed as M7000NBD

According to the manufacturer, it's powered by AML8726-MXS Dual Core + Mali TM-400 and it's running Android 4.2. Unless it came like that from the factory, it's not rooted, and it has only 3 buttons: PWR, VOL UP, VOL DOWN.

My friend doesn't care about the data stored on this device and I offered to help thinking that I will be able to perform a factory reset the usual way. I was wrong.

When I use the PWR + VOL UP key combination, to enter Android system recovery, first thing that shows up after the boot is an Android figure with a red triangle and an exclamation mark. If I press the PWR+VOL UP again, the system recovery menu shows up but I can not navigate through its options. At least not using the VOL UP/DOWN buttons.

The only button that works is the PWR, but since "reboot system now" is the option selected by default, it's the only action I can perform from within this menu.

When the above failed, I thought about ADB as an alternative way. Unfortunately the USB debugging seems to be turned off so, as far as my limited knowledge goes, there is no way of running ADB shell in that case. For obvious reasons, there is also no way of switching it on.

Is there any other option to factory reset this device? Or maybe there is a way to make the system recovery menu respond?

If it makes any difference, I have a Windows 7 desktop and two notebooks running Windows 8 and Ubuntu 13.10 respectively.

Thanks in advance for every suggestion.

Default Re: Alternative way to perform factory reset

Doesn't seem like there is a way. You have to find the password of that Google account, there is a way to factory reset or change lockcode using Android Device Manager from play.google.com.

Stock recovery do not allow adb for good reasons. Looks like it will make a good door stopper or coaster.

But the good news is now the parents can buy the girl a new tablet. I recommend a Nexus, there is no way you can stop someone from reseting or flashing factory image over a Nexus, they can forget passwords as much as they want.

Welcome to Android Central! Let me say that it is impressive that you were able to get to the Recovery Menu on a cheapo tablet. Odd that you can't move the highlighting cursor with the volume buttons, though. What if you press the volume button for longer than usual? Or maybe really firmly? You never know with the quality of these cheap tablets, maybe it's just not registering the button presses very well.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    Doesn't seem like there is a way.
    Yeah, in this circumstances, hypnosis seems to sound reasonable

I did some more tries today but with no luck. Just to be sure, I've checked in Ubuntu and it's the same story. Nothing shows up in lsusb while in system recovery menu and I get 2207:0000 ID when on Android's "too many attempts" screen. I can access the tablet as a storage unit (with no acces to root dir of course) but because the debugging is off, even after editing the adb_usb.ini and 51-android.rules I get nothing in "adb devices" .

Tried the bootloader/fastboot approach. My fingers hurt from trying different key combinations and I accomplished nothing. Even tried the VOL +/- >> connect USB >> press PWR several times procedure, I remember from the original Ainol Novo 7.

Well, if they won't find the account details... here goes "another brick in the wall"
    B. Diddy likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central! Let me say that it is impressive that you were able to get to the Recovery Menu on a cheapo tablet. Odd that you can't move the highlighting cursor with the volume buttons, though. What if you press the volume button for longer than usual? Or maybe really firmly? You never know with the quality of these cheap tablets, maybe it's just not registering the button presses very well.
    Thanks for the welcome. It took me a while to get into the recovery menu but I was persistent Even now it sometimes takes 5-6 tries before I can enter it.

I admit it's odd not being able to move the highlight. While googling I've found that someone had the same problem and he solved it by rebooting with adb straight to the recovery. Won't work for me since the debugging is off.

I did press the buttons firmly and far longer than usual, nothing happened. I would try connecting a mouse or a keyboard, I think I once succeeded using a mouse in recovery menu of some tablet... or was that just a dream? Anyway, can't test it since this device uses USB micro-B and I have no adapter of such kind at hand.

Thank you anyway.
    B. Diddy likes this.

Well that's a bummer. You clearly know what you're doing, because most of what you just typed went >zzzip< over my head.

ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

Assuming you don't have too many email accounts between you, go to to recover your google account and password. That should get you going. (If you still have access to the account the Google account was registered under.)