i need help with my metro galaxy s3 please!

Whitney Victorine

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
My phone has been running slow and is all clogged up with ads now. Once in a while it likes to freeze and then the screen will go black. Sometimes I have to take the battery out completely just to get it to restart. What should I do? Should I root my phone?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You either unwittingly installed an app with adware, or you might have some other kind of malware. If you haven't already, install a good antivirus/security app like Lookout and run a scan. Also run an ad network detector app (Lookout also has one called Lookout Ad Network Detector), which can tell you if your phone is part of an ad network, and how to opt out.

BTW, I don't work for Lookout, and don't get any perks from them. I've just found that their app works best for me, and they tend to have one of the highest reputations in the mobile security biz.

Whitney Victorine

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
My phone has been running slow and is all clogged up with ads now. Once in a while it likes to freeze and then the screen will go black. Sometimes I have to take the battery out completely just to get it to restart. What should I do? Should I root my phone?

Okay, i will try that. I have a Norton app installed already but i guess its not doing its job.... Is the lookout app free? And, should I root my phone?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you already have Norton installed, don't bother with Lookout Antivirus. Run a scan with Norton. You could still install the ad network detector, though.

I don't think rooting is necessary at this time. How experienced a user would you consider yourself? Rooting is a bit advanced, and your phone could be irreversibly bricked if something goes wrong.

Posted via Android Central App

Whitney Victorine

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Norton hasn't done anything for me.... I installed lookout and went through all my apps and now my phone seems to be working better. :)

Posted via Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Peter Norton is (or was - he's earned retirement a long time ago) a fantastic programmer. Unfortunately a company bought the right to use his name to peddle garbage. The only thing I use Semantec sales offers for is lighting fires.

Rooting is gaining administrative access to the computer that underlies your phone. (It's like right-clicking a program in Windows and clicking Run as administrator.) Unless you're comfortable in the Linux command line (or want to become comfortable with it), or you have an app that you absolutely must run and it needs root, there's no reason to root a phone. (And no, Droid Sheep isn't a good reason to root a phone.)

Glad your phone is running better, though.

Whitney Victorine

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so I was trying to find out more information about 4.3 update and jelly bean or kit Kat and I have some other guys treating me like an ***** so can you give me a rundown of what those are about and if I can use that update? Now that my phone is running better I am trying to find the right things to make my phone more awesome... Please?

WpMomma Samsung Galaxy S3

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the rude treatment, but it can be unfortunately unavoidable in this field. Android 4.1 through 4.3 are all progressively advanced versions of Android that are collectively nicknamed Jellybean. Android 4.4 is nicknamed KitKat. Android versions are nicknamed after desserts or sweets, with ascending letters of the alphabet (i.e., Cupcake, Donut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jellybean, KitKat).

To find out what version your phone is, go to Settings/About Phone, and look under Android Version. To see if you have an official update available through Samsung and your wireless provider, tap System Updates and then Check for Update. I'm not sure what version your particular phone should be up to. Android phones don't get updated indefinitely--they usually stop getting official updates after about 18 months or so.

If your phone doesn't have any official updates, that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the latest version of Android--but it does mean you'd have to root your phone (which I think was explained to you before), then flash a custom ROM (which is basically installing a version of the Android OS that has been made available by someone who has tinkered and modified the freely accessible Android code to be operable on your phone). This isn't a perfect process, and depending on the ROM and the phone, certain functions may not work correctly. Best not to venture here unless you've gained a fair amount of experience with the system.