Backing Up External SD Files on Tablet

LTCSZ

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
OK, here's is my somewhat convoluted question: I am considering the purchase of an android tablet (Dell Venue 32 gb)...I want to take it on a vacation and use it, in addition to GPS and Email, to back up the files from my camera's SD card...Is this a practical idea and what would be the best way to go about it? Hope the question isn't too basic, but I really have nol idea how to do this! Thanks a lot...

Steve

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Assuming that the tablet can take an external SD card (I don't know the Dell), turn the camera off. Take the card out. Put the card into the tablet. Turn the tablet on. Copy the files (you can use an app like Total Commander - it's free at the Play store) from the card to the tablet. Turn off the tablet. Take out the card and put it back in the phone.

It's less complex than reading about it was.

There are also cameras that can do wifi, so if you have wifi at the hotel (or someplace - Starbucks?), you can just transfer the files that way. I assume the Dell has wifi.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Agree with above. Since the tablet presumably only accepts microSD cards, it would make most sense for you to use a microSD card in your camera (using a full SD adapter, which usually comes with the microSD card). When you want to transfer the photos, take the full SD adapter out of the camera, remove the microSD card from it, insert it into your tablet, and copy or transfer the pictures to some folder on the internal storage of your tablet (like "Pictures").

When you remove the microSD card from the tablet, remember to Unmount it first--there's an option in Settings/Storage to do so. Removing a microSD card without unmounting could cause data loss or corruption if the device was in the middle of writing (kind of like removing a floppy disk while it was still running, back in the Bronze Age of computing).