1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Need Help Deciding on a Tablet

Ive realized what I want in a tablet and I was hoping someone could help me.
    Want: A stylus (im a student, need it to take notes), having the latest android version, being able to put the rom of my choice on it, fast, a nice screen and lastly, it has to look nice and feel good in the hand.

Ive looked into many tablets and the only 2 that I like are the Samsung Note 10.1 (2014) and the Microsoft Surface Pro 2.
    I know what youre thinking, Surface Pro 2!? You cant have the latest android on there and neither can you on the Samsung. I dont know what it is about the Surface, but when I look at it, I am just in complete awe, I absolutely love the product, but hate the fact that Android isnt on it.

So what I really want to know is:
    Samsung Note
    - Can I root it and apply a custom rom on it (I hate touchwiz for many reasons) and still be able to use all the functionality of the S Pen? Ive heard something about it getting significantly harder to root Samsung products now, so I was wondering how much support there actually is for the Note. And yes, if I cant root it, Im most likely not going to get it, because I just cant stand touchwiz.

Surface Pro 2
    - Is it possible to have android on there with windows, so I can boot which ever one I want, whenever I want? I have seen some threads on XDA on this, but it seems like some major functionalities get lost when putting android on it (eg Wifi and bluetooth).

Thank you in advance for all the help!

Global Posts
    13,864 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Need Help Deciding on a Tablet

Quote Originally Posted by Akashd View Post
    Ive realized what I want in a tablet and I was hoping someone could help me.
    Want: A stylus (im a student, need it to take notes), having the latest android version, being able to put the rom of my choice on it, fast, a nice screen and lastly, it has to look nice and feel good in the hand.

Ive looked into many tablets and the only 2 that I like are the Samsung Note 10.1 (2014) and the Microsoft Surface Pro 2.
    I know what youre thinking, Surface Pro 2!? You cant have the latest android on there and neither can you on the Samsung. I dont know what it is about the Surface, but when I look at it, I am just in complete awe, I absolutely love the product, but hate the fact that Android isnt on it.

So what I really want to know is:
    Samsung Note
    - Can I root it and apply a custom rom on it (I hate touchwiz for many reasons) and still be able to use all the functionality of the S Pen? Ive heard something about it getting significantly harder to root Samsung products now, so I was wondering how much support there actually is for the Note. And yes, if I cant root it, Im most likely not going to get it, because I just cant stand touchwiz.

Surface Pro 2
    - Is it possible to have android on there with windows, so I can boot which ever one I want, whenever I want? I have seen some threads on XDA on this, but it seems like some major functionalities get lost when putting android on it (eg Wifi and bluetooth).

Thank you in advance for all the help!
    Surface: I have heard more problems with trying to load Android on Win tabs than anything positive. If you get that tab, leave it be. I believe you get MS Office on it, so that would be a benefit.

Note: Yes you should be able to root it. Samsung is pretty open about that part. The question is: What ROMs can you get for it? I would get the model number for the tab you are interested in, and search the net for what AOSP ROMs support it.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here