Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rooster99
  • 1 Post By Rooster99
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Play Music on Nexus 4 stops randomly - driving me nuts!

Just what it says in the subject. A song can be playing then just stop. I have to hit the Play button again. It can continue for quite a while across multiple songs, or just stop again in 15 seconds, or 30 seconds, or 5 minutes, or ... Again and again. Needless to say, I want to throw it across the room when this happens right in the middle of an intense set of reps at the gym.

I'm not streaming, the music is loaded onto my phone. It happens at random points on random songs - the same song can play fine all the way through today, and not tomorrow. I'm using corded earbuds, but I don't think it's hardware as I've been sitting in a single position not moving (mid-strertch) with the phone on a separate, stable platform and it's just ... stopped. I've rebooted. I've removed and reinstalled Play Music.

I'm running a Nexus 4/KitKat on Telus. But from what I've googles, this problem isn't unique to the Nexus - but no one has found a solution.

Had this problem before loading Kit Kat but it seemed to have "mostly" gone away then come back again with KitKat. "Typically", but not always, music plays for a while but then once it stops the first time it just keeps it up.

Any ideas???

- R.

Default Re: Google Play Music on Nexus 4 stops randomly - driving me nuts!

What format are the music files? Are they ripped from CDs or downloaded from somewhere like Google Play Music or Amazon? I just wonder if there's some problem with the music files--could they be corrupt? Are there any particular music files that have this problem more often than others?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    What format are the music files? Are they ripped from CDs or downloaded from somewhere like Google Play Music or Amazon? I just wonder if there's some problem with the music files--could they be corrupt? Are there any particular music files that have this problem more often than others?
    They're MP3, combination of ripped and downloaded from various sources. Never had a problem playing them on my Blackberry for 3+ years. Problem pops up randomly - a song can play great today, stop every 15 seconds tomorrow then be fine the next day - or the next day it may stop 15 seconds in, then again at 40 seconds in then again at 3 minutes in or whatever.

- R.

Does it happen when you're just playing the music over the speaker and not using earbuds? Sometimes the headphone jack might falsely think it's getting commands to pause (remember that these jacks are designed to accept headphones that may include remote controls).

I know that you mentioned removing and reinstalling Play Music, but also try going to Settings/Apps/All, selecting Play Music, and Clear Cache. I'm not sure if the cache clears when you uninstall and reinstall, since with Play Music (a preinstalled app), you're not really removing it--you're only uninstalling updates, then re-updating it.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Does it happen when you're just playing the music over the speaker and not using earbuds? Sometimes the headphone jack might falsely think it's getting commands to pause (remember that these jacks are designed to accept headphones that may include remote controls).

I know that you mentioned removing and reinstalling Play Music, but also try going to Settings/Apps/All, selecting Play Music, and Clear Cache. I'm not sure if the cache clears when you uninstall and reinstall, since with Play Music (a preinstalled app), you're not really removing it--you're only uninstalling updates, then re-updating it.
    I haven't tried it with just the speakers as I don't listen to my music that way. but I will try it now as a test. When it happened repeatedly with both myself and the Nexus not moving I doubted it could be hardware - if the cause was that sensitive it should occur incredibly frequently as I moved through a cardio workout. But I will try it. As for the cache, yes I've cleared that as well.

Any other ideas?

And thanks for the fast help, BTW. Much appreciated.

- R.

If it works, and the music plays smoothly without the headphones, then I suggest trying a different set of headphones. If the same problem happens, then I'd guess the jack is faulty. If it doesn't recur, then compare the plugs of the two headphones. There are a couple of different standards for headphone jacks, and sometimes one of them might not be fully compatible. See how many bands or stripes there are on the plug, and if they're in the same position.

You could always consider Bluetooth speakers!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

If it works, and the music plays smoothly without the headphones, then I suggest trying a different set of headphones. If the same problem happens, then I'd guess the jack is faulty. If it doesn't recur, then compare the plugs of the two headphones. There are a couple of different standards for headphone jacks, and sometimes one of them might not be fully compatible. See how many bands or stripes there are on the plug, and if they're in the same position.

You could always consider Bluetooth speakers!
    Thanks, though this is going to be a tough one. I've had many times when music plays flawlessly for a couple of hours - then the next day I have this issue. Troubleshooting such a random, non-immediate issue is a pain! The other part of the problem is finding a pair of headphones that work fully with the Nexus 4, as the official ones are now discontinued and it's tough to find out which of the 3rd party ones fully support all the controls. I'll try a separate post on this I suppose - the threads I find on the subject here aren't clear that "they work great!" just means the sound is good or the sound is good AND the controls work.

Sigh ...

- R.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Update : Does seem to be an issue with the earbuds. I have now had 3 sessions (working on amy 4th) where I've played musing non-stop from my speakers for 2-3 hours - no interruptions.

So now off to hunt for the right earbuds and hope that solves it. I would never have thought it would be hardware, given the symptoms. Thanks B. Diddy.

- R.
    B. Diddy likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

As an FYI it was definitely the earbuds. 2 different sets now work fine. Really with the Beats FWIW.

Thanks again, Diddy!
    B. Diddy likes this.