1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Customizing android?

Hi all,

I've switched from a jailbroken Iphone 4S to a Galaxy S4, mainly for a change and to see where android has come since I last owned an android MID rocketchip tablet running 1.7 worst device I've ever owned. Anyway even though I had a negative view on android I made the switch to see what it was like and I fell in love with it in a matter of minutes. It beats iphone for sure and I always thought the opposite but I can't help but feel that the biggest advantage of android over iphone isn't as easy to do on android, and that's customizing.

You're probably wondering what I mean but let me explain. Obviously out of the box android can be customized a hell of a lot more than Iphone. The iphone you can just about change the wallpaper and maybe re-position app icons. But then if you jailbreak it, it's like android but more easier to customize. Granted most tweaks i used to have are already on android as stock such as SBsettings which added settings toggles in your notification center but there are some tweaks that I can't seem to find at all on android. For example smart pause. Obviously it's on Galaxy S4 so no problem however it doesn't seem to work on my device. I thought I wonder if there is an app that lets you do it on other devices, so I did some searching and can't find anything yet on Iphone I could go into Cydia (app store made for tweaks etc) and get the exact same feature on the iphone which worked with any video app unlike galaxies smart pause which only works on a few default ones.

So I have several questions:

1. Is there anything like cydia on android? For those who don't know cydia is like the app store but only contains tweaks/mods and themes and although on android tweaks are allowed in the google play store it would be convenient to just to be able to browse tweaks only.

2. Is there tweaks like smart pause etc for other android devices?

Global Posts
    1,227 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

Default Re: Customizing android?

1) It's called the internet. There are dozens of forums filled with developers who are developing all sorts of amazing things for Android.

iPhones are like herding balls down a pipe - they all go nicely and in the same direction, mainly in the same place. Android makes herding cats trivial. 25 different developers develop the same app to do the same thing, but in a very slightly different way. And post them to 20 different places. All under the same app name. But if you want an app to do something that you think no one else will ever think of doing, there are probably 4 Android apps already that do it.

2) Smart pause? Nothing personal, but that's one of the silliest uses of a computer I've ever heard of. I have it. If I'm dying of terminal boredom some day I might even spend 2 minutes trying it. But I think dying would be more interesting.
    tgp

Global Posts
    1,764 Global Posts

To answer your question about smart pause, I've never heard of it outside of Samsung. But then I never looked for it. I didn't even know it was available on jailbroken iPhone's! But then it's been awhile since I had one.

Ha, I guess I didn't really answer your question!
    I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)

Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Welcome back to the world of Android, hope you enjoy that S4 and it leaves a lasting good taste for future Android devices Regarding your questions:

1. There are a few resources with mods for your Android device, though there's probably no one great place to go for all mods. You can check since a lot of custom mods, hacks, tweaks, etc. are posted there. There's also a good forum for theming that will give you some good ideas to theme your device. Otherwise, check the Play Store for most mods/themes/hacks/etc. since most everything is allowed there, including stuff that requires root access.

2. I'm not familiar with that feature. Could you please elaborate?

Enjoy the forums, let us know if you have further questions.