1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Smart Phone w/o Data Plan?

I have an iPod Touch and a non-smart phone. I'd really like to start carrying one device instead of two, without having the additional cost of a data plan.

Is it possible to use an unlocked iPhone or Android phone without having a data plan enabled? My carrier is T-Mobile, and the reps I've spoken to said I can't buy a smartphone from them without a data plan, but they don't seem confident about whether an unlocked one using my old phone's SIM card could still send/receive phone calls.

Default Re: Smart Phone w/o Data Plan?

Several years back I had the original iPhone with a T-mobile voce only monthly plan that worked just fine. If you already have an unlocked phone and a t-mobile SIM for voice only it should works.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Our company gives out voice only sim cards, and gives either a samsung galaxy ace (older smartphone, 2.3) or will subsidize a newer phone. I've travelled a lot with it, and last week, I stuck a voice only, $2 a day sim card from tmobile in and it worked fine.

Any Tmobile shop ought to be willing and able to sell you any phone, full price, unlocked. I bought an iphone 5s last week for a friend, and used it voice only for a week in the US.

Global Posts
    1,227 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by redbrick1138 View Post
    but they don't seem confident about whether an unlocked one using my old phone's SIM card could still send/receive phone calls.
    My old (your unlocked phone is a baby in diapers by comparison) Motorola phone (did you know that you can now take pictures with some of the more expensive cellphones? That's how old it is), with a SIM for mu current account, works just fine. In fact, the receive audio is actually a little better than the audio in my $700 "Smart" phone.

The problem is that as soon as the system detects that the SIM card is regularly being used in a smartphone, you'll probably notice the additional charge for the data plan on your bill. You can fool the best clerk, you can even fool a good cellphone store owner - you can't fool a computer.

Hey, if it works for you and they never charge you for data, they won't hear it from me - it's not illegal, it's their badly-written software. But I think they'll eventually start charging you for it.