1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Phone not working - should I root?

Sorry, as you can see I'm completely new to this forum and have no idea where I should post this. If this is in the wrong place, please let me now!

So I have a Galaxy S3 Mini and it rained the other day and the screen got wet. Right after that, the back/menu touch buttons stopped working properly, the lights keep blinking and they keep activating without me doing anything which makes trying to use the phone really annoying. I took my phone to a shop and they told me they would have to replace the entire screen for $450. So, no way in hell this is happening.

I've been reading on how to fix this problem and found out that I can turn off the buttons by rooting my phone. I have zero knowledge on how to achieve this though, but I'd be willing to try since otherwise I pretty much have an useless phone anyway.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help!

Default Re: Phone not working - should I root?

Check this out to root.

Really not sure if rooting the phone will actually help. But I'm going to try and find a mod that adds on screen navigation buttons.

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you, I'll look into it.

Would be great if I could solve my problem without rooting, I'm too afraid I'll screw it up, but I don't know what to do.

ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

1) Water got into the phone. It caused damage. Replacing the screen might fix a damaged screen - IF the screen is damaged. It won't fix the rest of the damage inside the phone.

2) Unless this is some new phone I haven't read about yet, $450 for a screen replacement is just ... well, I'll take a part-time job at that rate any day. Even though I'd have to give up a nice comfortable retirement to do it. Talk about minting money and not even having to touch the printing press. You can buy a gently used S3 (not mini) for $100 less than that. Working.

3) Rooting the phone has absolutely nothing to do with the screen, the buttons or the water damage your phone suffered.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of such bad news, but a few decades of experience fixing cellphones tells me that your phone isn't fixable. If some HONEST repairman wants to disassemble the phone and check it for signs of water damage (stains, mineral deposits) for $20 or so, I might consider it. But I'm afraid that as good as it may look on the surface, there's going to be damage where it can't be seen that, within a few months, will cause the phone to stop working permanently.

Save your money and go to if you want a nice used phone, or to a phone store if you want a new one.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks for the answer!

There's nothing else wrong with the rest of the phone, everything is working perfectly except the soft keys. In fact, I don't even want them fixed, I just want to turn them off and have been told that rooting could do that. Now I'm trying to figure out if it's true.

But if there's no other way I guess I'll have to get a new one

ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

The keys are part of the motherboard. If they're not working properly, the chances are that the motherboard got wet. (I'd have to open the phone to actually see what happened - I'm just making an experienced guess.) If the motherboard got wet, especially with mineral-loaded rain water, there are mineral growths all iver the motherboard by now. Even if you could get the soft keys fixed, the phone would eventually go completely bad.

In the future, if you get a phone wet (not a few drops of water on the screen, but WET), IMMEDIATELY remove the battery, (Don't get out of the rain first. You dry, the phone doesn't.) Then, as soon as you can, get a glass or ceramic container like a glass meatloaf pan), put the phone in it and cover it completely with rubbing alcohol. (The kind you get in quart bottles in the drugstore.) Swish the phone around for a couple of minutes, vigorously - you want to get all those minerals dissolved in the alcohol. (The fact that alcohol is hygroscopic - it absorbs water - doesn't hurt either.) Change the alcohol and do it again. And again. (Three times altogether.) Then put the phone and the battery - separately, not touching - into a container of uncooked rice, close the container, and leave everything alone for a week. Then the phone should work, (If you don't give the battery a quick alcohol rinse before putting it in the rice, you may have to replace it, but most of them are pretty well sealed. Most people just wipe them off with paper towels.)