- 10 Posts
Using android as wifi extender?
I work on a remote site and live in a Donga (A portable bedroom)
These Donga's have thick walls and i can barely get our camps wifi, let alone any Phone signal.
I have noticed that my mobile phone can get a medium wireless signal strength if i place it on the window cill and it got me wondering if it could be possible to use my android phone as a wifi repeater so that i could use the internet on my laptop inside my Donga.
Long story short, is it at all possible to have my Android phone connected to a wifi network, and then my laptop tethering with the android phone but using wifi data and not cellular?
I have searched the internet and have found a few results but they are all pretty vague, i am of course willing to root my phone if required
- 12-10-2013, 03:47 AM #2
- 10 Posts
Re: Using android as wifi extender?
I did a bit more research and found something called
which while it does a few things it apparently does what i am looking for, however i tried it on my dads spare Samsung but it didn't work, or at least i had no idea how to set it up properly.
EDIT: looks like i need to root the phone to get access to the router feature, im not going to do that to my dads spare but i have a HTC One Mini on order so ill be itching to try it out on that
- 12-10-2013, 04:31 AM #4
- By brick58 in forum General Help and How ToReplies: 8Last Post: 12-11-2013, 02:32 PM
- By plainman007 in forum General Help and How ToReplies: 3Last Post: 12-11-2013, 12:00 AM
- By RavenSword in forum Moto GReplies: 9Last Post: 12-10-2013, 08:23 PM
- By ipwn3r456 in forum Samsung Galaxy S3Replies: 1Last Post: 12-10-2013, 12:39 AM
- By Tyler Capece in forum Android 2.3 GingerbreadReplies: 0Last Post: 12-09-2013, 09:34 PM