Issue with Connectiong to Mobile Network/4G

mach1monorail

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

For about a week or so I have been struggling to make phone calls/send texts/go online without turning on WiFi. My phone rarely connects to the 4G network that I know is strong , because my dad's identical Galaxy S3 is quick to connect to it. My phone rarely connects to Edge either now. When I go into the "Search Mobile Networks" tab my phone just keeps searching and searching... and searching. I thought I had the solution a moment ago when I turned on and off Airplane Mode. My phone connected to 4G for a moment and I was able to send one text, but then it dropped back into nothingness. In addition, it takes nearly 30 seconds to switch into airplane mode after I select it...is this normal? It's not the sim card because I tried it on a different phone and it works fine. My dad's a cynic when it comes to rooting and he's saying it might be because I rooted my phone, but this issue started two to three weeks after I rooted... is rooting a potential cause? Any thoughts? I would like to be able to make calls on my phone... after all that's what it's for!

Thanks

P.S. Sorry for the typo in the thread title.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! So to be clear, you have an S3 as well?

I can't tell you about the rooting question, but it sounds like it could be a hardware issue, perhaps with the phone's antenna or radio. If no one else here offers a solution, you might try bringing the phone to a cellphone repair shop to see if they can help.

mach1monorail

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! So to be clear, you have an S3 as well?

I can't tell you about the rooting question, but it sounds like it could be a hardware issue, perhaps with the phone's antenna or radio. If no one else here offers a solution, you might try bringing the phone to a cellphone repair shop to see if they can help.

Yes, I have an S3 too.

My WiFi connects fine but the rest of the networks aren't working. Would that still indicate a potential issue with the antenna or radio--even if WiFi works and when I turn on and off Airplane Mode it connects to 4G momentarily?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A non-connected antenna wouldn't change when you flipped airplane mode.

However ...

Connecting to the network, voice and text are 2G, they have nothing to do with 4G.

That said, I'd suspect a bad radio in the phone. If it's under warranty, ... you know the rest.

Oh, rooting gives you superuser access to the operating system. Unless you totally, and I mean totally, messed up the rooting process, it has nothing to do with not connecting to the network. It did void all warranties on the phone, though.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon