Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    00pm's Avatar

    Posts
    5 Posts

    Default email check frequency

    I have gmail as my email client.When there is a new mail sometimes it notifies me lately like after 10 minutes.How can i shorten this time without killing my battery.I have galaxy s3 mini.Thanks
  2. #2  
    Rukbat's Avatar

    Posts
    1,233 Posts
    ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

    Default Re: email check frequency

    If it's set to IMAP, that time interval set by how busy the server is.

    If you need your emails immediately (your boss emails you that he wants you in his office "this second" - a dozen times a day), change to POP3 email, set the update time as short as you can and accept the battery hit. But remember - the whole idea of email isn't "it;ll get there immediately", it's "it'll get there eventually". It was designed that way, it wasn't designed for speed. (Initially [way back before we had decided to create those creatures now called dinosaurs], email servers ran about once or twice a day. They dialed up (there was no "internet") the next server in line and passed email both ways. Then they sat, doing important things. If you were having a conversation with someone, you said something on Monday, he got it on Tuesday. If the scheduling was right, he could get his reply sent by Tuesday, otherwise it was sent Wednesday. You got it on Wednesday or Thursday. That's ONE 2-way exchange. These days we expect typing the message to take longer than getting it there.

    If you need instant messaging, there are apps using different protocols for that. IRC is one - the delay is rarely more than half a second. Skype is pretty fast too.
    Thanked by:
    00pm 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    00pm's Avatar

    Posts
    5 Posts

    Default Re: email check frequency

    Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    If it's set to IMAP, that time interval set by how busy the server is.

    If you need your emails immediately (your boss emails you that he wants you in his office "this second" - a dozen times a day), change to POP3 email, set the update time as short as you can and accept the battery hit. But remember - the whole idea of email isn't "it;ll get there immediately", it's "it'll get there eventually". It was designed that way, it wasn't designed for speed. (Initially [way back before we had decided to create those creatures now called dinosaurs], email servers ran about once or twice a day. They dialed up (there was no "internet") the next server in line and passed email both ways. Then they sat, doing important things. If you were having a conversation with someone, you said something on Monday, he got it on Tuesday. If the scheduling was right, he could get his reply sent by Tuesday, otherwise it was sent Wednesday. You got it on Wednesday or Thursday. That's ONE 2-way exchange. These days we expect typing the message to take longer than getting it there.

    If you need instant messaging, there are apps using different protocols for that. IRC is one - the delay is rarely more than half a second. Skype is pretty fast too.
    Yes i must use email.How can i change to POP3.There wasnt such a setting in gmail app.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: email check frequency

    If you go in to you GMAIL app the go to settings there should be a setting for check frequency you can select the times from there..
    Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Nexus all the way..
  5. #5  

    Default Re: email check frequency

    Quote Originally Posted by 00pm View Post
    I have gmail as my email client.When there is a new mail sometimes it notifies me lately like after 10 minutes.How can i shorten this time without killing my battery.I have galaxy s3 mini.Thanks
    I don't think this makes any sense, if you want it to check sooner, then it would have to use more battery, not let. You can use something like SynkerForce Widget to force syncing.
    Last edited by someguy01234; 12-15-2013 at 11:48 PM.
  6. #6  
    Rukbat's Avatar

    Posts
    1,233 Posts
    ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

    Default Re: email check frequency

    GMail allows (or used to allow - I haven;t looked in a long time) you to choose whether your gmail account will be IMAP or POP3. But, as someguy said, the more often you check, the more battery (and data if you don't have an unlimited data plan) you use. There's no way to check more frequently and not use more battery and data.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    00pm's Avatar

    Posts
    5 Posts

    Default Re: email check frequency

    Quote Originally Posted by NexusNick123 View Post
    If you go in to you GMAIL app the go to settings there should be a setting for check frequency you can select the times from there..
    I looked under every setting but there wasnt any thing for frequency.

    A little more battery drain is fine with me.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: email check frequency

    Quote Originally Posted by 00pm View Post
    I looked under every setting but there wasnt any thing for frequency.

    A little more battery drain is fine with me.
    In your phone settings, look under Accounts for your Gmail address you want the mail from and tap on it, you can set the frequency in there.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Similar Threads

  1. Exchange Emails Can Now Be Read on the Gear!
    By Chasfenner in forum Samsung Galaxy Gear
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Yesterday, 02:04 AM
  2. Galaxy S3 Email icon tells me I have -14 [minus 14] messages
    By wee yin in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-15-2013, 10:30 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-13-2013, 05:08 PM
  4. Screen dimming on email app only
    By pcbtmr in forum Verizon Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-13-2013, 01:51 PM
  5. Help! Can't find email folders in default email client
    By Xertion3 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-13-2013, 07:50 AM

Posting Permissions

B