Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mrsmumbles
  • 1 Post By garublador
  • 1 Post By srkmagnus
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default OTA Backup

Waiting patiently for the arrival of my Galaxy S4 GPE. My question pertains to backing up apps, SMS and phone settings. IS this done OTA like I do with my soon to be sold iphone 5? Or, will I need to tether the phone to my Windows 7 PC in order to back it up?

Default Re: OTA Backup

you don't need to backup for an OTA as it doesn't wipe your device. if you want to be extra safe with your sms, you can get sms backup from the play store and back it up to your external sd card. or backing up app data using helium. but again you should be fine with just hitting the OTA update and away you go.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I think you're missing my question; with my iphone 5, I can back up to itunes OTA. Can I do the same with my soon to be received Galaxy S4? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by y2whisper View Post
    you don't need to backup for an OTA as it doesn't wipe your device. if you want to be extra safe with your sms, you can get sms backup from the play store and back it up to your external sd card. or backing up app data using helium. but again you should be fine with just hitting the OTA update and away you go.

I think you can back up to a cloud but you'll have to subscribe to cloud services I think.

I'm not sure if iTunes will work with Android though if you weren't planning on switching from iTunes. I hope I'm not misunderstanding also.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    rob damiani likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rob damiani View Post
    I think you're missing my question; with my iphone 5, I can back up to itunes OTA. Can I do the same with my soon to be received Galaxy S4? Thanks.
    AFAIK, to get a full backup of all app data on Android you'll need third party apps like Helium, SMS Backup and Restore and/or FolderSync. Google/Android will remember what apps you have downloaded and bought, but I'm not sure you're guaranteed to have the data generated in each app be backed up.
    Thanked by:
    rob damiani likes this.

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

If you are rooted you can use utility apps to do the backup for you, i.e. Titanium Backup, My Backup Pro, etc. Otherwise, you will need to connect the device to Samsung Kies and manually backup that data then restore on the new device. What device are you currently using?

You refer to the iPhone 5 in the OP, so if that's your current device then no, you can't take any of that data and restore it to the GPe S4. And make sure to turn off iMessage on the iPhone 5 otherwise you'll have issue with sms/mms on the S4.
    Thanked by:
    rob damiani likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

God no, I cannot wait to NOT have to use that bloated piece of crap software, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post

I'm not sure if iTunes will work with Android though if you weren't planning on switching from iTunes. I hope I'm not misunderstanding also.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by: