Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 2 Post By UJ95x
  • 1 Post By rob damiani
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S4 GPE - noob questions

So my new S4 GPE arrives in 48 hours and I cannot wait to start tinkering, (currently on iphone 5). I purchased a SanDisk 32GB Extreme microSDHC card as well. How can I use the SanDisk card? Can I install apps to the card? I assume/hope that I can store pictures/videos/music on the card as well?

What is a launcher?

I'd like to be able to have email, SMS, Calendar, missed call/voicemail notifications directly on my lockscreen as I do now with my iphone. Is this possible? If so, how do I accomplish this?

Thanks.
    Last edited by rob damiani; 12-17-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Global Posts
    13,847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Galaxy S4 GPE - noob questions

Quote Originally Posted by rob damiani View Post
    So my new S4 GPE arrives in 48 hours and I cannot wait to start tinkering, (currently on iphone 5). I purchased a SanDisk 32GB Extreme microSDHC card as well. How can I use the SanDisk card? Can I install apps to the card? I assume/hope that I can store pictures/videos/music on the card as well?

What is a launcher?

I'd like to be able to have email, SMS, Calendar, missed call/voicemail notifications directly on my lockscreen as I do now with my iphone. Is this possible? If so, how do I accomplish this?

Thanks.
    Apps to the SD card are dependant on the developer if they can be moved and how much. Pictures, music, and videos are fine to store on your card. If you are a big shutterbug, I would connect to something like Dropbox and have auto uploading of photos. That way, there is a backup of your pictures.

A launcher is a different User Interface. It is how you interact with the OS. Different launchers can offer more customizing than stock. [GUIDE] Nova Launcher
    I would highly suggest getting used to the new OS before tinkering with launchers. Give it a week, then put something like Nova on.

At bare minimum, you will have notification icons in the status bar, and the notification shade can be pulled down while in the lock screen. Notifications on the lockscreen are kind of hit and miss, as the last I knew that detail was under litigation.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by 2:
    rob damiani likes this.

Global Posts
    5,567 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

What is a launcher?

Thanks.
    Yes, you can store pictures/videos and music on the SD card. Golfdriver97 answered everything else

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
    Thanked by:
    Golfdriver97 and rob damiani like this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Great info and advice, thank you. Lockscreen notifications will be a dealbreaker for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Apps to the SD card are dependant on the developer if they can be moved and how much. Pictures, music, and videos are fine to store on your card. If you are a big shutterbug, I would connect to something like Dropbox and have auto uploading of photos. That way, there is a backup of your pictures.

A launcher is a different User Interface. It is how you interact with the OS. Different launchers can offer more customizing than stock. [GUIDE] Nova Launcher
    I would highly suggest getting used to the new OS before tinkering with launchers. Give it a week, then put something like Nova on.

At bare minimum, you will have notification icons in the status bar, and the notification shade can be pulled down while in the lock screen. Notifications on the lockscreen are kind of hit and miss, as the last I knew that detail was under litigation.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Ok good, thanks for your reply. Is there a setting that I'll need to edit in order to accomplish this?
    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Yes, you can store pictures/videos and music on the SD card. Golfdriver97 answered everything else

Global Posts
    13,847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Great info and advice, thank you. Lockscreen notifications will be a dealbreaker for me.
    I think Samsung still has notifications for calls and texts at least.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Even if it's the S4 GPE?
    I think Samsung still has notifications for calls and texts at least.

Global Posts
    5,567 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Ok good, thanks for your reply. Is there a setting that I'll need to edit in order to accomplish this?
    Only for the pictures and videos. Go to your camera > settings > storage and change it to SD card.
    You can load the music onto your SD card if you put it in your PC, might be able to get music from iTunes

Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

Global Posts
    13,847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Even if it's the S4 GPE?
    Sorry...getting tired, and I missed that part. I am not sure.

Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Musically, I'm all in with Google Play Music. GREAT info on the SD card, thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Only for the pictures and videos. Go to your camera > settings > storage and change it to SD card.
    You can load the music onto your SD card if you put it in your PC, might be able to get music from iTunes

- - - Updated - - -

LOL, np, thanks for your time & effort.
    Sorry...getting tired, and I missed that part. I am not sure.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.