Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Loose USB hub on a rooted tablet

Hello everyone. I have a slight issue with my Nexus 7 (2013), and it's kinda worrying me.
    I pretty much can't charge up my tablet because the USB port is very loose. It happened quite suddenly, but I don't really know why and that is not the problem. It can happen.
    The problem is, my tablet is rooted. Does messing with the OS void the warranty on mechanical faults clearly not associated with any software?

Also, do you think I should take it to some local mobile repair shop instead? It would most definitely ruin what is left of my warranty for good.
    Banned

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

Default Re: Loose USB hub on a rooted tablet

well messing with OS always void warranty unless you are not using any other firmware. So from my point of view there is nothing to be worried go to authorized service centers no need to go for local shop.

Global Posts
    5,690 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Default Re: Loose USB hub on a rooted tablet

Technically, rooting a phone shouldn't void the warranty on a manufacturing defect (evidently the microUSB port wasn't firmly affixed to the board), but some manufacturers refuse to replace a bad earphone if you root the phone. Anything to get more money out of you.

Local repair shop? Even though I used to own one, I have to warn you to be careful. There are repair shops, with technicians who have been doing this sort of stuff since cameras were new on cellphones, and there are "repair shops" where the owner (and sole employee) took a 2 hour Webinar on how to fix cellphones on Tuesday (and it's Thursday today) and opened a store yesterday. And couldn't tell you the name of the type of screw used on most cellphones without a lot of research, because they only took 30 seconds covering it and he forgot.

If you used Kingo to root, unroot. (It goes both ways.) It leaves no real traces - nothing they'll notice. Then use an authorized shop. (If not, find an authorized shop and ask the manager or owner, privately and quietly, if rooting the phone really voids the warranty on a mechanical problem. Some of them "won't notice" that the phone is rooted.) BTW, DO get that fixed. Every time you plug the charger in or unplug it, you could be creating little sparks between the port contact and the motherboard contact - which will eventually chew the motherboard up enough that it'll have to be replaced - which is just an expense you don't need.