1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default clearing ram

I got a ram booster app but whenever I tell it to clear up my ram it says something like "80mb ram realesed" but then it still says 80 percent of my ram is being used up. How do I clear the rest of my ram? Anyone know whats taking up all my ram? And do I need these processes running? I have of samsung galaxy light with about 1200mb of ram I think. Thanks for the help

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: clearing ram

imo, it's because what you are trying to accomplish just can't be done. i hate these ram memory boost apps.

as soon as you free up ram, your device immediately reloads ram with whatever demands you are placing on your device, because that is what ram does. freeing up ram merely requires the device to reload what it needs to operate efficiently. seems to me what you are trying to do simply slows down the device and uses up battery. of course, i suppose there is sometimes a need to do so, maybe if there is a rogue app or something dominating, but it has never happened to me.

android does a pretty good job of managing ram demands all on its own.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

So there's not really a way to clear up the ram?

It's not that it can't be done, it's just counterproductive to how Android works, like ljxdaly said. When apps are in memory but dormant in the background, they aren't using any additional power. The memory uses the same amount of power, be it empty or full, and a dormant app not being worked on uses no processing power. So Android is designed to leave as much as it can in memory (ram). This way, common apps don't have to be initialized from scratch and use additional power to do so. It's simply pulled from the background.

If an app isn't already in ram and there isn't enough available when opening it, Android will free up what it needs by shutting down unused apps completely. This is more efficient and uses less power than constantly starting apps and processes from scratch every time you want to use them.

Memory boosters/cleaners/managers used to have a purpose on early versions of Android I think, before the OS had the current way of handling ram. Now, those apps can increase battery consumption because as you've seen, once you clear stuff out, Android just loads it back up again and it takes processing power to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    If an app isn't already in ram and there isn't enough available when opening it, Android will free up what it needs by shutting down unused apps completely.
    I always feel like I stuck it to the man every time I tap the little Facebook icon and it has to start up from scratch. It means that my phone decided that what I was doing was finally more important than Facebook.

Like Mooncatt said, earlier verions of Android were a bit "leaky" when it came to RAM usage. I haven't seen that on my Galaxy S4, but on previous phones I just had to restart once a week or so if my phone started to get sluggish. I prefer that to having yet another app using battery and memory all the time.

Used RAM isn't a problem. Bad performance is a problem and I recommend focusing on that. If your performance is fine then there's no reason to worry about how much RAM is being used.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ljxdaly View Post
    imo, it's because what you are trying to accomplish just can't be done. i hate these ram memory boost apps.

as soon as you free up ram, your device immediately reloads ram with whatever demands you are placing on your device, because that is what ram does. freeing up ram merely requires the device to reload what it needs to operate efficiently. seems to me what you are trying to do simply slows down the device and uses up battery. of course, i suppose there is sometimes a need to do so, maybe if there is a rogue app or something dominating, but it has never happened to me.

android does a pretty good job of managing ram demands all on its own.
    Not to me it doesn't. I constantly have issues where my keyboard lags, and my music skips because there is not enough available ram. Everytime I try to manage it in settings, more stuff just turns on to use up the ram I just opened up.

Welcome to Android Central! What device do you have? If it's an entry level device, it may just have limited performance potential. If it's a more powerful device, then perhaps there's an app that is misbehaving, and that should be uninstalled or disabled.

Global Posts
    1,227 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

RAM-clearing apps were started by people who thought that Android is like a smaller version of Windows. In Windows you want as much free RAM as possible. In Android you want as LITTLE free RAM as possible. Unused RAM is wasted RAM in Android.

If your phone lags until you free up some RAM, then speeds up, then almost immediately lags again, it's just telling you that it doesn't have enough RAM to run the version of Android you're running. Sure, you can take a Froyo phone and load Jellybean into it - but it's not going to run well, because JB NEEDS more RAM than Froyo did. The answer isn't to keep clearing RAM out - that just slows the phone down to a crawl - it's to run Froyo on it. You don't enter a VW Microbus in the Indy 500, do you? Don't run an OS designed to run in 1.5GB of RAM in a phone with 512MB of RAM - it doesn't work. It's like running Windows 8.1 on a 386-SX with 256MB of RAM. The only way to get more advanced software to run properly is to run it on hardware it was designed to run on. Even if that means spending money. You can't run a Model T ford on a 75mph interstate.
    Thanked by 2:

Lots of analogies there and I'm sure you got the point across.

But something else to remember is many times you don't get the choice to stay on an earlier OS version of Android. The carrier and/or manufacturer can, and has, forced installations of new OS with over the air updates with no way to permanently avoid them without rooting and making changes. Yes, those updates are supposed to be stable on the device, but that isn't always the case. Especially on a lower end device. I wish it were easy to decline an OS update, but also shows the downfalls of entry level devices.

Global Posts
    1,227 Global Posts
    ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

Not only entry-level devices. I wouldn't call the S3 entry-level, but the recent 4.3 "update" that was forced on S3 owners was so unstable that phones bricked, data was lost ... and it still hasn't been fixed. Even the Note 3 (low level?) had a bad update shoved down its throat. (How do I know? They replaced mine. Twice, so far)

Oh I've had my share of botched updates too from a bug related standpoint. What I was getting at was from a hardware standpoint like you were, where the phone can't handle a new update simply because it's demanding too much power.