Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Angry How do I get rid of the stupid orange line/highlight around 'selected' items?

I have been uninstalling and reinstalling all kinds of apps since I did a mass update to some and suddenly my phone started acting funny.

I don't know what is causing it, but suddenly when I would click on a box, like in Kindle to put my password in, or even on a web page to read something, an orange line around highlight that section and a voice would read what it was! Totally freaked me out the first time it happened. I thought it was a text-to-talk issue and uninstalled all updates for that.

That didn't help. After a lot of messing around, I finally got the voice to stop talking, but the orange line is still there.

The problem with this is that when it highlights certain things, it doesn't allow the keyboard to pop up. And sometimes when it will allow the keyboard to pop up, the delay is like having a 486 computer! It takes so long you fall asleep waiting.

I thought that maybe I could just take the whole phone back down to factory specs and start all over again, but then something odd happened. I noticed that when I was looking on this website, that that same orange line is around boxes, like the search text input and then the little search icon, only on a smaller scale since I am on my computer. That makes me think that this new thing is actually an Android update that when I do go down to specs and then install it's current update, I will still be screwed.

So, what I need to know, if anyone can help, is just how to turn that option off. I have looked through every setting for everything I can think of and can't find a way to turn that stupid highlight off. If it was just the highlight, I really wouldn't care, but it's messing with my ability to type in passwords or search words and it even made it so that when I was in the browser, it highlighted a section of an ad and wouldn't let me zoom in to the details. This is really starting to drive me nuts and totally frustrate me, which isn't good because I have ADHD and if it frustrates me too much I'll end up just throwing the stupid phone away and buying an iPhone and until now I haven't had any problems.

By the way, I have a Galaxy Rush through Boost Mobile, if that makes any difference.

Thank you for your help... well I HOPE someone can help me before I blow a gasket.
  2. Best Answer

It's the Talkback app for the visually impaired. You should be able to turn it off in Accessibility.

Default Re: How do I get rid of the stupid orange line/highlight around 'selected' items?

Welcome to Android Central! Sorry this has been so frustrating for you. Have you checked the Accessibility menu in the main Settings?

Default Re: How do I get rid of the stupid orange line/highlight around 'selected' items?

Here's the manual for your phone: http://www.boostmobile.com/shop/phon...guide_rush.pdf. Check out page 64 about Text-to-Speech and Driving Mode. See if adjusting those settings helps.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Question Re: How do I get rid of the stupid orange line/highlight around 'selected' items?

That is actually the first place I looked, at the Text-to-Speech part. It didn't say anything about the orange line around the text that keeps jumping as you click on another paragraph. So I uninstalled (to factory) the Text-to-Speech but that didn't help either.

I took some screen caps of what I am talking about. This is a Facebook post, but it happens to just about any text and especially around the areas you are supposed to login. to a site. And this is a huge problem because when it does make the boarder around the login area, it won't bring up the keyboard. And if it does finally bring it up, it's only after a long time and since I get really impatient I keep hitting the box thinking it was me not the orange outline and so it closes the keyboard a few times and if I am lucky it ends up open.

Here is a photo: How do I get rid of the stupid orange line/highlight around 'selected' items?-bcmm5xsceaajcv-.jpg

I Tweeted it 3 hours ago and was going to reply here with it but got called away before I could. But so far no one there either has known how to fix it.

It's the Talkback app for the visually impaired. You should be able to turn it off in Accessibility.

It happens to me too and it is bugging me when I'm at school when i have to look things up on my chrome book. The person who fixes it looked through the accessibility and couldn't find it. i would like some help to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanna Bailey View Post
    It happens to me too and it is bugging me when I'm at school when i have to look things up on my chrome book. The person who fixes it looked through the accessibility and couldn't find it. i would like some help to.
    Welcome to Android Central! You're using a Chromebook? That's different from an Android device. Or are you using Chrome on your Android device?