1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default shedding as much google bs as possible?

I have read a lot of discussion on this. Most falls into the "you can't get rid of it, but I can't support this with any facts category" I would like to rid my Nexus 5 of all but critical to operation google components, EVERYTHING. I'm tired of having to sign in and stay signed in to sync contacts and all the other BS. I don't want to have to sign in to play music, look at photos, find a map etc... What can I permanently get rid of (yes I know how to temp. disable these) without repercussions on the android os... ideas?

Default Re: shedding as much google bs as possible?

They are system apps, you need root to delete them. If you do however, the next time you receive OTA updates it will most likely fail to work. So unless you disable them only, I don't see of any other ways it won't interfere with the OS. Besides, the OS will run just as fast with the apps being there while disabled isn't going to slow things down. If you want something to stop syncing, just go to into your Google account in Settings and uncheck services you don't want to be syncing.

You should look into unlocking the bootloader rooting your phone, check the the root section in the Nexus 5 section, it should have a guide on that. After that you can use Titanium Backup to delete the apps or manually delete them using a file explorer. You could also flash a custom rom like CyanogenMod which doesn't come with google apps. Then if you want to install PlayStore or only a specific Google feature, you can install these modular gapps packages:
    With root you can also use the app Greenify, which let you select apps and preventing them from starting automatically.

I created a script to debloat my Nexus 4, it will work with the Nexus 5 too. You need to unlock the bootloader and install custom recovery in order to flash it, it will cause OTA updates to not work due to changes in system: http://forums.androidcentral.com/nex...prop-edit.html
    Last edited by someguy01234; 12-23-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Google gave you a free ecosystem, in return for serving you relevant ads.

You can do all those functions without signing in to Google, you just have to buy 3rd party apps to do it. There's no free lunch here.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Lots of great info. Thank-you for your excellent suggestions and know how. I'll let you know how I fare with the solutions you have provided. Now back to that xmas bottle.

Wadd.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    Google gave you a free ecosystem, in return for serving you relevant ads.

You can do all those functions without signing in to Google, you just have to buy 3rd party apps to do it. There's no free lunch here.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    Suppose thats the case everywhere nowadays! Thanks for the thoughts.

Wadd.
    tgp

Global Posts
    1,789 Global Posts

Maybe you'd be better off with an iPhone or Windows Phone?
    I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)

Quote Originally Posted by tgp View Post
    Maybe you'd be better off with an iPhone or Windows Phone?
    They have their own bloats. At least Google let user disable most of the system apps. You can't on iOS, without jail breaking, but that isn't required on Android.