How can I be safe with app installations?

abmrs bmrdtm

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
hi forum Ive recently started to download apps, and I notice the apps been installed on my phone, seem to require so much access to different areas of the phone`,
can you give some ideas on what is a safe approach, and what is a potential security risk?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Permissions are necessary for many apps, depending on what they do, so to a large extent, you have to trust the developer. Ways to protect yourself include:

1. Install apps only from legitimate app stores like Google Play Store or Amazon Appstore. Avoid downloading APK installer files from filesharing sites, because those might be corrupt, pirated, or malware.

2. Read the app description carefully--good developers will often explain why certain permissions are necessary.

3. Read through the reviews--apps that have been installed hundreds or thousands of times, with generally good reviews, will be less likely to have nefarious intentions. That being said, be careful about "fake reviews" submitted by the developer himself or herself--these reviews often seem very similar to each other in wording or structure.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
If you have latest Google PlayStore on your device it should have the feature to scan apps for malware when installed, this is done automatically. I'm not too worried about virus on Android if you stick to the proper channels of installing apps and use common sense when selecting apps to download.

If you happen to have a device that run Android 4.3 to 4.4 (but not 4.4.2), then you can get access to App Ops which is a hidden feature in Android to manage permissions for apps, you need to get an app like this to create a short cut to to the hidden menu: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.findsdk.apppermission&token=ziw6Utu4. Google removed the access to it in 4.4.2 unless you have "root".

The main thing to concern is privacy such as apps getting your contacts list and GPS location, mostly this is for ads purposes. Most legitimate apps don't so this or ask for your permission first and it is anonymous, it doesn't required these special permissions to display ads on an Android app. There are some bad ones that slips in, even hugely popular ones like the recent flashlight app that had to settle with the FTC for not disclosing that they record users location. Also popular apps doesn't mean they're safe, lots of popular free games have access to your contracts list, like Angry bird, but you'll have to read through their privacy policy to see what they do with it or is only turning on the function if you want to play with your friend while in the game. This privacy concern isn't exclusive to Android, but other mobile OS as well.

edit: massive Google keyboard fail, i tried to swipe 'privacy' and it registered as pussycat.

sent via tapatalk

Last edited:

abmrs bmrdtm

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Thats great thanks all who answered, Im interested in downloading games to my phone, Im using google play to download them, but as mentioned I found the permissions to be excessive ,there was one antivirus that wanted permission to modify sms/mms message on phone???, will check the various info you`s have given, it does tend to take the fun out of downloading apps.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thats great thanks all who answered, Im interested in downloading games to my phone, Im using google play to download them, but as mentioned I found the permissions to be excessive ,there was one antivirus that wanted permission to modify sms/mms message on phone???, will check the various info you`s have given, it does tend to take the fun out of downloading apps.

Check the reviews before downloading. If there's plenty of negative ones, it might be best to stay away.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Just because it use that permission does not necessarily mean it reads your SMS, sometimes it means to block spam sms. However, I remembered in the past the AVG app, a well known antivirus company, was pulled from the Microsoft appstore because it does nothing, but run ads. This article will explain more in details what apps tend to use permissions for: Android 101: What some of those scary application permissions mean | Android Central

While I don't use any antivirus on the phone except Playstore scanning, I tend to recommend Karpersky since they have very good reputation and is one of the best antivirus for the PC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda6969