Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sober2ndthought
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default First Android Phone

I am switching from iOS to Android, I am not entirely sure which phone to get.

I nearly bought a Nexus S years ago, but ended up going with an iPhone 4 back then. I liked the Android experience but for whatever reason I decided to go with an iPhone because I was concerned that Android was still a bit buggy back then. I have heard Android has come along way since then, so I figure I should give it a try.

I was thinking of getting a Nexus 5 but my brother warned against it. He pointed out issues with the phone, particularly poor battery life, poor camera quality and build quality issues. However, I like the Nexus 5 simply because of its pure Android experience. I am not a big fan of preinstalled bloatware. It seems that it has really good specs. I also really like the price point at $350 CDN.

The other phone I am considering is the HTC One. Having played with it for months now, I really like the phone. But the price point is much higher and I don't get stock android (the Play Edition is not available in Canada). Of all the customized Android Builds, I like the Sense UI the most. But I don't like waiting a long time to get the latest update. I am also concerned that it is almost a year old now so there might be an update coming soon. If it was a little cheaper I would be ok with it being almost a year old, but at $650 dollars I am concerned it will be obsolete soon.

I want to hear from experienced Android users what they like best.

Global Posts
    2,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Default Re: First Android Phone

Quote Originally Posted by sober2ndthought View Post
    I am switching from iOS to Android, I am not entirely sure which phone to get.

I nearly bought a Nexus S years ago, but ended up going with an iPhone 4 back then. I liked the Android experience but for whatever reason I decided to go with an iPhone because I was concerned that Android was still a bit buggy back then. I have heard Android has come along way since then, so I figure I should give it a try.

I was thinking of getting a Nexus 5 but my brother warned against it. He pointed out issues with the phone, particularly poor battery life, poor camera quality and build quality issues. However, I like the Nexus 5 simply because of its pure Android experience. I am not a big fan of preinstalled bloatware. It seems that it has really good specs. I also really like the price point at $350 CDN.

The other phone I am considering is the HTC One. Having played with it for months now, I really like the phone. But the price point is much higher and I don't get stock android (the Play Edition is not available in Canada). Of all the customized Android Builds, I like the Sense UI the most. But I don't like waiting a long time to get the latest update. I am also concerned that it is almost a year old now so there might be an update coming soon.

I want to hear from experienced Android users what they like best.
    This is a question that could create great controversy! Do you have a specific budget?
    It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - J. K Rowling

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." - Bruce Lee

"The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye." - Jimi Hendrix
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Not really. I would say $650 is the most I want to spend. Which is why I am not considering the Note 3.

Quote Originally Posted by sober2ndthought View Post
    Not really. I would say $650 is the most I want to spend. Which is why I am not considering the Note 3.
    Get a used One on Swappa.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    Get a used One on Swappa.

I'm Canadian that's not really an option. Although Telus is offering an HTC One Refurbished for $450 which is a decent price.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Another question to ask is how bad is the update cycle? I have generally heard A LOT of bad things about it. People say it takes far too long for HTC and other manufacturers to update their phones. Apparently HTC is one of the worst at updating their phones.

I also have heard it is possible to install vanilla android on the HTC One by rooting the phone is that true?

ROM
    AreaROM 3.0 or CM7.0.1

It's possible to install a rooted vanilla Android ROM. Rooting (gaining administrative access to the operating system) is something flashing a ROM does, it's usually not necessary to get root to flash a ROM. Although flashing a custom recovery helps when flashing a ROM.

I think since you said you don't like bloats, its better to stick with a Nexus. I wouldn't come into conclusion about poor battery life, it depend on your usage and needs. If you need 3-4hrs of on screen time and will charge it each night, then I think it's enough. You can buy a 'wireless wireless charger' like the LuguLake for on the go. In term of camera, it depends on your expectation, compare some examples and judge for yourself. I would argue that the Nexus 5 take better shots than the HTC One which is limited by its 4MP camera despite performing well in low light.

Your best choice maybe the , which have the good hardware, but stock Android as well. Though somewhat costly imo.

I would suggest the Nexus 5, regardless of not being best in all areas, it should be a great experience for a first Android phone regardless. Just buy a case or "tempered glass screen protector" to protect it. IMO, regardless of claimed durability, all mass marketed large screen touchscreen smartphones made today can easily crack its display on drops, and sapphire glass touchscreen isn't the norm yet.

If you don't care too much about camera quality, another device to consider is the Moto X, but only if you can get it for under $500. It have some unique features that the Nexus 5 don't have like hand free Google Now control and Active Display. It doesn't have great specs, but delivers more on the features. It gets better battery life than the Nexus and gets fast updates from Google too.

The way I see it, if you are going to spend $650, wait for the next generation phones instead, which will have 2560x1440 display and better specs.
    Last edited by someguy01234; 12-30-2013 at 02:10 AM.

I'd second the Nexus 5. It has everything you want, no bloat, fast updates, excellent specs. Get it now and then save up for whatever else you decide you want. In the meantime you'll have the best phone you could get. I have no problems whatsoever on my Nexus 5. Build is perfect, speed is beyond amazing, power, beautiful sharp screen, good speaker since the update, good camera since the update, you can't go wrong. If there should be any defect (and I think a lot of the claimed problems were due to user error), you can get it replaced for free.

Sent from my Nexus 5 via Tapatalk 2
    Try The Thank You Button, Thank You!