Blank SD Card on Galaxy S4

zachoon

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm having issues with my Galaxy S4 in reading my micro SD card. I recently bought a 64 GB SanDisk Ultra Micro SDXC. I've been having the issue of the phone not even being able to recognize this SD card in the first place. When I put in the SD card, the phone doesn't recognize that the SD card. When I click to mount an SD card, it says "Preparing SD Card", and shortly after, it says "Blank SD Card." Could anyone help me? Thank you

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm having issues with my Galaxy S4 in reading my micro SD card. I recently bought a 64 GB SanDisk Ultra Micro SDXC. I've been having the issue of the phone not even being able to recognize this SD card in the first place. When I put in the SD card, the phone doesn't recognize that the SD card. When I click to mount an SD card, it says "Preparing SD Card", and shortly after, it says "Blank SD Card." Could anyone help me? Thank you

This is somewhat of an unofficial known issue. Meaning, it happens all the time but Samsung wont take credit for it formally. So, if you had pictures don't worry, you probably didn't lose them. If you put the card in a reader and put it on your PC they are all there (most likely). Now, to get it to read the card again you will likely have to reformat the card using the phone.

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

Also, see this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/276489-samsung-galaxy-s4-sd-card-issue-10.html

zachoon

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Well the thing is, this is the first time i ever used that SD card since i just bought it. And the phone never recognized it from the start, so it doesn't even show how much space is in the SD card, or the option to format it. I think the phone doesn't even realize there's an SD card in there. But it recognizes the 8GB sd card I've been using.

chustle925

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Put the SD card in a different device to see if it shows up, If it does maybe try and reformat it. If it doesn't show up in the other device,maybe you have a faulty card.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Lots of problems posted about Samsung and cards. Can you format the card in the phone?

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

zachoon

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't allow anything except mounting. I think it'd be most accurate to say that the phone doesn't even notice that the card is there, so the only option that's available is to mount it. It doesn't tell me that a card is there with such amount of space.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
If you install a good file manager like Astro or ES File Explorer, you may be able to use the card normally.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

zachoon

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the file manager matters. The phone itself doesn't recognize that an SD card has been put in. I checked with Astro and it couldn't see the SD card.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the file manager matters. The phone itself doesn't recognize that an SD card has been put in. I checked with Astro and it couldn't see the SD card.

Somehow you'll have to format the card to FAT32. It works best if you can do it in the phone, but if not, do you have another phone you could use to do the formatting?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

zachoon

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for your responses. I was able to fix it by formatting the SD card on the computer. Hopefully it doesn't do the thing where it works for a week and then breaks.

Kalle Schurtz

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
These guys are fruitcakes. All you really want is to read your SD card, access your SD card again. I just went all over the NET and could not find a solution for this problem. Then, I just did this simple fix, and it worked for me on my Galaxy S4 Active: I inserted a new SD card, and it would not read it, mount it, etc. You know it. Then I read everywhere, that the standard Filesystem is NTFS, which did not work for me. I took another NTFS SD Card, and my G4 would not read it. So I copied the files off and reformatted the SD cards to (default) FAT32 (with the single file 4GB size restriction) So what? I'll just put several 4 gig files on the card, no problem.
After reformatting these SD Cards, the Galaxy4s would immediately read them, and gave me an option to reformat the 8Gig SD Card even, which I did. It came back with 7.4 Gigs, even more than the reformatting on the computer. This proves to me, that the Filesystem is FAT32 and not NTFS like some fruitcakes declared earlier. peace out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678