1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Blank SD Card on Galaxy S4

Hi, I'm having issues with my Galaxy S4 in reading my micro SD card. I recently bought a 64 GB SanDisk Ultra Micro SDXC. I've been having the issue of the phone not even being able to recognize this SD card in the first place. When I put in the SD card, the phone doesn't recognize that the SD card. When I click to mount an SD card, it says "Preparing SD Card", and shortly after, it says "Blank SD Card." Could anyone help me? Thank you

Default Re: Blank SD Card on Galaxy S4

Quote Originally Posted by zachoon View Post
    Hi, I'm having issues with my Galaxy S4 in reading my micro SD card. I recently bought a 64 GB SanDisk Ultra Micro SDXC. I've been having the issue of the phone not even being able to recognize this SD card in the first place. When I put in the SD card, the phone doesn't recognize that the SD card. When I click to mount an SD card, it says "Preparing SD Card", and shortly after, it says "Blank SD Card." Could anyone help me? Thank you
    This is somewhat of an unofficial known issue. Meaning, it happens all the time but Samsung wont take credit for it formally. So, if you had pictures don't worry, you probably didn't lose them. If you put the card in a reader and put it on your PC they are all there (most likely). Now, to get it to read the card again you will likely have to reformat the card using the phone.

Also, see this thread: Samsung Galaxy S4 SD Card Issue
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Well the thing is, this is the first time i ever used that SD card since i just bought it. And the phone never recognized it from the start, so it doesn't even show how much space is in the SD card, or the option to format it. I think the phone doesn't even realize there's an SD card in there. But it recognizes the 8GB sd card I've been using.

Put the SD card in a different device to see if it shows up, If it does maybe try and reformat it. If it doesn't show up in the other device,maybe you have a faulty card.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

It's not faulty. I already checked it with my computer.

Lots of problems posted about Samsung and cards. Can you format the card in the phone?

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

It doesn't allow anything except mounting. I think it'd be most accurate to say that the phone doesn't even notice that the card is there, so the only option that's available is to mount it. It doesn't tell me that a card is there with such amount of space.

If you install a good file manager like Astro or ES File Explorer, you may be able to use the card normally.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I don't think the file manager matters. The phone itself doesn't recognize that an SD card has been put in. I checked with Astro and it couldn't see the SD card.

I don't think the file manager matters. The phone itself doesn't recognize that an SD card has been put in. I checked with Astro and it couldn't see the SD card.
    Somehow you'll have to format the card to FAT32. It works best if you can do it in the phone, but if not, do you have another phone you could use to do the formatting?

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I've checked with another galaxy S4 and I get the same result. What kind of other phone are you suggesting?

I've checked with another galaxy S4 and I get the same result. What kind of other phone are you suggesting?
    Any phone which has a microsd card slot.

Also here's another current thread which may help, and there's a link on the last post.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=3369007

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Thank you all for your responses. I was able to fix it by formatting the SD card on the computer. Hopefully it doesn't do the thing where it works for a week and then breaks.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    Also here's another current thread which may help, and there's a link on the last post.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=3369007

I hope it works out. :-)