1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Whats .thumbdata file in thumbnail directory all about?

Hello everyone,
    I use samsung galaxy tab t311,and noticed that a lots of my photoz from gallery were missing further I noticed a file named "thumbdata --10 digit number" in the directory storage>DCIM>.Thumbnails>.thumbdata . Does that contain the photos which were missing mysteriously? ..can i get all my photoz back by working with the file thumbdata ? What does the file thumbdata has?

Thanks In Advance
    Last edited by ganesh97; 12-30-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Default Re: Whats .thumbdata file in thumbnail directory all about?

It contains thumbnails.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for your reply, Then I guess there should be a way to recover the original photoz from the thumbnails or .thumbdata--8987237287 file.. How do I do that ?

Quote Originally Posted by ganesh97 View Post
    Thanks for your reply, Then I guess there should be a way to recover the original photoz from the thumbnails or .thumbdata--8987237287 file.. How do I do that ?
    I don't think you can, I'm not sure if there is a way to open the file. Also it doesn't contain the original image, just thumbnails, which are small snapshots of the real files. Also the file is auto generated by the Gallery app, by searching for image files in your phones.

I don't think you can recover your photos, but you should find out why they disappeared. You could go to Settings -> Apps -> All -> and clear the data for Gallery, Media Storage, and Camera (if existed), just to reset everything to normal. Or save your data and do a factory reset.

Also your device have a microSD, did you check to see if you set the camera to save photos to the internal storage or microSD, maybe its in a different location.

Or you can use a third party camera app like CameraZoom and set it to save photos specifically to the MicroSD, then if there are any problems you can remove the microSD and do a disk scan on Windows and use Recuva to recover deleted files.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ok, but will I be able to get atleast the thumbnails if not the original photos.If yes then how do I get those?

I guess photos disappeared because of setting storage path to wrong directory of srorage>emulated>0>DCIM>.thumbnails instead of storage>externalSDCard>DCIM>Camera.. I'm yet to confirm on this.

True, I agree to what you said, but I discovered it lately.

Will look into that option.