Can I delete things from the Downloads app without having them deleted from gallery?

gina12345

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi there! I'm sorry if this question has been asked and answered before. I don't really understand the purpose of the downloads app within the main menu of my Nexus phone. If the same things appear in the gallery then why do we need the download app. And can we safely remove from the downloads without deleting from the phone? I have tried moving some videos and songs from the download folder using file explorer but the app still shows them. Can I select the files within the app and remove them without removing the files? Thanks!

gina12345

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Sizzers! I just successfully and safely removed files from the downloads app. So, this is basically only for storing download history? But for some previous PDFs I removed from here and they were removed from the phone completely, I think. Anyways, thanks again.

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
When you delete files from the "Downloads" application it will remove the file from the device. You need to move that file to another location. If you used the web browser to download the file there should be a separate download list in the browser that can be cleared without deleting the files.

For future reference, make sure you move any downloaded files that are located in the download folder before erasing. The reason why you are seeing images from the download folder with the gallery app is because the gallery pulls all images found on the device, including those in downloads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz