Newbie Question

applepye

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi - I've had an iphone for years and its a love/hate relationship. I'm no phone guru or big user but I love to carry music on it and hate the need to use itunes to control additions of music and ringtones. So I've bought a cheap android Huawei Y300 new for ?40 to see if its better. I was thinking of a S4 Mini but not wanting to spend so much in case Android is not for me.

So far I like the Android very much but there is one thing bugging me....the Text messaging!

Well adding music is fine with micro sd card and it seems almost a great phone except.....text is lousy with poor emoticon's and unable to set a ringtone per contact for receiving text messages. Ok I can do it for calls and have this working ..but so far unable to assign for text. On my iphone I have one text sound for all except if I edit a users contact details and can assign a sound per voicecall and separately for Text.

I've tried Go SMS Pro but I cannot find how this can allow me to change the sound per contact so uninstalled it.

Next emoticons - this must be easier to fix?

Finally - need I worry about installing apps from Google Play (the only one I will use) - thinking Google maybe vet the apps to be virus free and not detrimental to users.....i.e make unauthorized calls or "steal" contacts or data.

Android for me could be great if I can fix the issues above.

Any advice appreciated.

Kind Regards

Still looking. I also tried

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi - I've had an iphone for years and its a love/hate relationship. I'm no phone guru or big user but I love to carry music on it and hate the need to use itunes to control additions of music and ringtones. So I've bought a cheap android Huawei Y300 new for ?40 to see if its better. I was thinking of a S4 Mini but not wanting to spend so much in case Android is not for me.

So far I like the Android very much but there is one thing bugging me....the Text messaging!

Well adding music is fine with micro sd card and it seems almost a great phone except.....text is lousy with poor emoticon's and unable to set a ringtone per contact for receiving text messages. Ok I can do it for calls and have this working ..but so far unable to assign for text. On my iphone I have one text sound for all except if I edit a users contact details and can assign a sound per voicecall and separately for Text.

I've tried Go SMS Pro but I cannot find how this can allow me to change the sound per contact so uninstalled it.

Next emoticons - this must be easier to fix?

Finally - need I worry about installing apps from Google Play (the only one I will use) - thinking Google maybe vet the apps to be virus free and not detrimental to users.....i.e make unauthorized calls or "steal" contacts or data.

Android for me could be great if I can fix the issues above.

Any advice appreciated.

Kind Regards

Still looking. I also tried

Emoticons issue- Download a keyboard that has emojy eith it. For example: Google Keyboard.
Installing apps- No need to worry, there aren't any viruses, just check the comments on an application before you download it.

applepye

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks - phone already had google keyboard installed but emoticons look like rubbish text and not pictures. Tried uninstall and reinstall but no joy - maybe cheap phone or OS 4.1.1 it is running and not able to update automatically to anything more recent.

But Googling and found Textra SMS and emoticons plug in did the job absolutely perfectly - can change sms ringtone per received message or contact - send receive emoticons to my wifes iphone too - absolutely great - I'd pay for this app...in fact I'll google and see if I can donate.

This cheap Y300 phone beats my old iphone 3GS hands down....so far very happy and glad to escape Apple prison!

Cheers

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks - phone already had google keyboard installed but emoticons look like rubbish text and not pictures. Tried uninstall and reinstall but no joy - maybe cheap phone or OS 4.1.1 it is running and not able to update automatically to anything more recent.

But Googling and found Textra SMS and emoticons plug in did the job absolutely perfectly - can change sms ringtone per received message or contact - send receive emoticons to my wifes iphone too - absolutely great - I'd pay for this app...in fact I'll google and see if I can donate.

This cheap Y300 phone beats my old iphone 3GS hands down....so far very happy and glad to escape Apple prison!

Cheers

Welcome to the forums and Android.
If there is a paid version of the app, that would act as a donation.
Glad you found something that works. You are probably close in your guess in that particular version of Android does not natively support emoticons well.
See you around the forums.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2