droid raxr xt912 Verizon Sim unlock code to work on tmobile

umvme2

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I have a droid RAZR xt912 for Verizon. The model RAZR I have has a slot to insert a gsm micro Sim card. I have read many forums saying that it can and cannot be carrier unlocked. The phone has a global settings on it and it has a menu where I am prompt to put in the unlock code when I dial a special key on the phone dialer. I want to use the droid RAZR xt912 on Tmobile network but I wanted to verify before I waist my money unlocking the phone carrier unlock. So I ask for an honest answer and an explanation because I'm confused?

LockPick

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I have a Razr M xt907 from Verizon that I'm trying to unlock for T-Mobile.

When I stick the T-Mobile SIM card in, the phone doesn't prompt me for an unlock code, it just complains about the SIM being "from an unknown source".

Verizon tells me that the phone is not locked but won't work with a GSM carrier, but I don't trust their answer because they don't want me going over to another carrier (and they don't seem to understand that that behavior is exactly part of why I want to go over to another carrier...).

Could you post details on what special key or key sequence you dial to get it to prompt for an unlock code? (Perhaps that will work with the xt907 as well?)

If I make any progress, I will post information here too.

Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The phone will work on TMobile - IF you get the unlock code from Verizon. I have a better chance of winning Verizon in the lottery. Without buying a ticket.

LockPick

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Well, said Rukbat!

The times I asked I got answers ranging from "The default is 1111" all the way to "It's already unlocked, but it can't be made to work because we use CDMA and the others use GSM and the phone itself isn't compatible..."

I feel like I've been running through a cow-pasture...

It all smacks of "Customer Control" tactics and V'zon just doesn't get it -- that is EXACTLY the sort of thing that makes us want to run away.

<Where's the emoticon for "Grump"?>

Shawgrin

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
this is off the Web page
Networks
CDMA 800 1900, LTE B13, WCDMA 850 900 1900 2100, GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900 EVDO Rev. A, HSDPA 21.1 Mbps (Cat 14), HSUPA 5.76 Mbps
Droid Razr M – 4G LTE - A Google Company

I have a Droid Razr M from verizon and I am giving the phone to a friend to use with T-Mobile. My question is Do I need to unlock or root the phone to use it with the other network? I have heard that it can and can not be done depending on who is talking.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The times I asked I got answers ranging from "The default is 1111" all the way to "It's already unlocked, but it can't be made to work because we use CDMA and the others use GSM and the phone itself isn't compatible..."
It all smacks of "Customer Control" tactics
It smacks more of "I know nothing about that phone". Almost all Verizon phones are CDMA-only. TMobile is GSM. A CDMA phone won't work on GSM. That's all true, and has been since we started using digital signaling in cellphones (before 2,000, IIRC).

This particular phone has both GSM and CDMA modules in it, so it'll work on either, but it's one of the VERY FEW phones that will - and sales people don't consider "Cellphone Engineering Monthly" light reading. They just assume that, as it's been up until about last year, if it works on Verizon or Sprint, it doesn't work on AT&T or TMobile. And until then they were right.

But as far as getting the unlock code for the GSM SIM? Maybe if you started with customer service and slowly (it could take hours) worked you way up to engineering. Or if you happen to be friends with Lowell McAdam (CEO of Verizon) - a post-it note from him saying "give me the gsm unlock code for imei xxxyyyzzz" would get the unlock code in a few minutes.

But short of that, I wouldn't hold YOUR breath, let along my own.

Social engineering could work, though. "I'm planning a business trip to Russia next month, and I'd like to put in a local SIM when I'm there, so people could call me on a local number - and I'd need the SIM unlock code to do that," It's a business trip, Verizon will get you back when you return.

Oops, the trip got canceled. How sad.

You're not doing anything illegal - it's your phone, so you should have the right to put any SIM in it you want. (If it's part of a Verizon package - you got the phone at a subsidized price on a contract - be prepared to pay the remaining amount owed on the phone. And they could say that only the last 5 months of payment pay for the phone, so you owe the entire retail price. Nothing you can do about that. Unless TMobile has that "we pay your ETF" deal and you give Verizon back the phone and buy one from TMobile. All still legal. Just knowing that some of the rules of the game aren't printed on the instruction sheet.)

novitt

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I cannot post the link because I do not yet have enough posts, but if you search on google for, "verizon Device Unlocking Policy" you will get a link to a page displaying the unlocking info along with some codes to try. Good luck

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The policy is at Device Unlocking Policy | Verizon Wireless

Among other things it says is

We do not lock our 3G devices, other than our Global Ready 3G phones, and the simple code to program such 3G devices for use with another carrier is either “000000” or “123456.” If the user guide for your device does not provide instructions to access the programming menu, you can contact us at *611 from your Verizon Wireless phone, or (800)922-0204, for assistance.

The SIM cards used in our 3G Global Ready phones are locked. By the end of January, 2015, we will unlock those SIM cards at your request once you have fulfilled the term of your service contract or Edge installment sales agreement and your balance is current.

They claim that they don't lock 4GLTE phones, so putting in a foreign (non-Verizon) GSM SIM shouldn't bring up a request for an unlock code or an error message. Of course the site could be wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC