Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 5 of 5
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Why use an app instead of the website?

    I understand the benefits of any app which offers a unique functionality. However, why is there an app for an existing website? For example, I have a GMail account that I've been using for a many years, so why is there a "GMail app"? Can't I simply log into my GMail account on my Android device just as I have been doing on my desktop all this time? i.e., why do I need an app for that?

    Also, since I have an off-brand Android tablet (made by Emerson), they have their own app store. Why can't I go to the well know play.google.com website and get my apps from there ?!?
    Thanks,
    Dan
  2. Best Answer

    Apps almost always work more quickly and more efficiently than a website through the browser. There are usually added features using the app as well (for example, in the Gmail app, you can swipe away an email to discard it, which isn't possible on the website).

  3. #2  

    Default re: Why use an app instead of the website?

    Quote Originally Posted by bromberg View Post
    I understand the benefits of any app which offers a unique functionality. However, why is there an app for an existing website? For example, I have a GMail account that I've been using for a many years, so why is there a "GMail app"? Can't I simply log into my GMail account on my Android device just as I have been doing on my desktop all this time? i.e., why do I need an app for that?

    Also, since I have an off-brand Android tablet (made by Emerson), they have their own app store. Why can't I go to the well know play.google.com website and get my apps from there ?!?
    Thanks,
    Dan
    Yes, you can click on your browser, click on your bookmarks, then you can click on Gmail - three presses instead of one, plus you won't get email notifications by using the web version. Your choice, you don't have to use it and it can always be disabled.

    With regards to your second question I believe you may find the answer here http://androidforums.com/android-app...let-owner.html
    Putting out fire with gasoline
  4. #3  

    Default re: Why use an app instead of the website?

    Apps almost always work more quickly and more efficiently than a website through the browser. There are usually added features using the app as well (for example, in the Gmail app, you can swipe away an email to discard it, which isn't possible on the website).
    srkmagnus likes this.
  5. #4  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    9,135 Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default re: Why use an app instead of the website?

    Adding to the already great information posted above, Apps also offer speed with obtaining the information presented and is lightweight. Meaning light on data consumption and will get the data, i.e. email, while the App is not in use.
  6. #5  

    Default re: Why use an app instead of the website?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzers View Post
    Yes, you can click on your browser, click on your bookmarks, then you can click on Gmail - three presses instead of one,
    To be fair, you can just put a link to bookmark on a home screen and get it back down to one tap. I do that with Facebook whenever they have a particularly bad version of their app out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzers View Post
    plus you won't get email notifications by using the web version.
    Though that is a huge advantage.

    It's like asking why email programs like Outlook exist when there's also a web interface. As everyone else has said, apps native to an OS are generally faster, have a better UI and more features than web based interfaces.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-26-2014, 01:38 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-21-2014, 06:15 PM
  3. I got an update, and I don't know what it is.
    By rastergrafx in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-21-2014, 07:56 AM
  4. Can I use Emergency Call to unlock?
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-21-2014, 02:05 AM
  5. the nokia
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-21-2014, 01:54 AM

Posting Permissions