Why use an app instead of the website?

bromberg

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I understand the benefits of any app which offers a unique functionality. However, why is there an app for an existing website? For example, I have a GMail account that I've been using for a many years, so why is there a "GMail app"? Can't I simply log into my GMail account on my Android device just as I have been doing on my desktop all this time? i.e., why do I need an app for that?

Also, since I have an off-brand Android tablet (made by Emerson), they have their own app store. Why can't I go to the well know play.google.com website and get my apps from there ?!?
Thanks,
Dan

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I understand the benefits of any app which offers a unique functionality. However, why is there an app for an existing website? For example, I have a GMail account that I've been using for a many years, so why is there a "GMail app"? Can't I simply log into my GMail account on my Android device just as I have been doing on my desktop all this time? i.e., why do I need an app for that?

Also, since I have an off-brand Android tablet (made by Emerson), they have their own app store. Why can't I go to the well know play.google.com website and get my apps from there ?!?
Thanks,
Dan

Yes, you can click on your browser, click on your bookmarks, then you can click on Gmail - three presses instead of one, plus you won't get email notifications by using the web version. Your choice, you don't have to use it and it can always be disabled.

With regards to your second question I believe you may find the answer here http://androidforums.com/android-applications/652935-new-emerson-4-3-tablet-owner.html

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Apps almost always work more quickly and more efficiently than a website through the browser. There are usually added features using the app as well (for example, in the Gmail app, you can swipe away an email to discard it, which isn't possible on the website).

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Adding to the already great information posted above, Apps also offer speed with obtaining the information presented and is lightweight. Meaning light on data consumption and will get the data, i.e. email, while the App is not in use.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you can click on your browser, click on your bookmarks, then you can click on Gmail - three presses instead of one,
To be fair, you can just put a link to bookmark on a home screen and get it back down to one tap. I do that with Facebook whenever they have a particularly bad version of their app out.

plus you won't get email notifications by using the web version.
Though that is a huge advantage.

It's like asking why email programs like Outlook exist when there's also a web interface. As everyone else has said, apps native to an OS are generally faster, have a better UI and more features than web based interfaces.