Need help moving music to external sd on ZTE Supreme

Vicki Liz

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Is it possible to transfer music from the internal sd to an external sd on the ZTE Supreme? My daughter is getting error messages that she doesn't have enough memory to load more music, but her external sd card has about 29GB of space on it! Someone told me that I will have to erase everything on the phone and put the sd card and then reinstall everything. Is this true?

I did try getting the x-plore app to move the files, but I can't figure out how to use the app.

Any help figuring out how to move the music and/or how to use the x-plore app to do this would be greatly appreciated!

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I don't know about the explore app but I could help you with ES File Explorer which I use to transfer the music files to card. It's free in the play store.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It depends on what kind of music files you're talking about, and where they're from. If you're talking about Google Play Music files, it's tricky and probably unfeasible to move downloaded (or "pinned") music from Google Play Music from the internal storage to the external SD, because those files are in an obscure directory, and are labelled with coded filenames. On devices with Android 4.4 KitKat, Google Play Music does have a new feature that allows music to be saved to external SD; this feature is only available experimentally on some older devices, and my guess is that it isn't available on the ZTE Supreme. Here's an article describing more about it: How to enable SD card support for offline Google Play Music | How To - CNET

If the music files in question are MP3 files or similar that were either downloaded from some other source, or transferred to the internal storage from a desktop, then I agree with mrsmumbles that any good file explorer app should allow you to move those files to the external SD card. Also agree that ES File Explorer is a good choice.

Vicki Liz

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
The music is from Google Play. Does this mean we have to erase the memory on the phone and start from scratch in order to avoid memory issues in the future? Thanks for your help - this is so frustrating! She got more Google Play cards for Christmas - should we get the music onto the sd card on our desktop or laptop to avoid this problem again?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Google Play music is DRM-encoded, IOW, you can only have one copy (unless you pay again) and it can only be where it went when you got it. Putting it on your computer won't help. You can't yet put it on the external card.

It would be better for now if she stuck to music she can get from other sources, and put that music on the SD card.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livinlavidaloca