Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By srkmagnus
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How do I get started using hangouts?

I am completely new to android phone and hangout app. How do I hangout with someone?

Default Re: How do I get started using hangouts?

Okay, this might be long, so listen.
    Hangouts( just im hangouts, sms works just like normal sms) is an im chat service that is associated with your existing google or google plus account. If you have just a google account and want to hangout someone, that person will need a google account also and hangouts too. Type in their gmail (some other emails work too) as the sender and send a message. If the address is valid, your gmail address will appear on the other guys device as the sender, with the chat dialog as well. From there the conversation can go on, and the left side of the screen is for CURRENTLY RUNNING hangouts. If you want to start a new one, simply repeat the process. Of you both have gplus or one has one and one has another, simply type the gplus account name into the search contacts bar. When you find it, just tap and begin. If you have the gplus account, you will have to manually enter the gmail address like above.

I bid you farewell and good tidings on your journey.,,

That is all. The dark lord android speaks.

This is a signature

I find your lack of faith in android disturbing.

Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Download the app and punch in a number or email address. That's all. The other person should also have the Hangout service to hang out with you.

Though, it's not necessary if you are using it to text someone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Oh Lord of Androidom,

Thank you for the details! I can now text with hangouts. Next question: What about the video aspect? It looks like it ought to be like skype. But when My husband calls me on hangouts to video chat, my phone tells me it has "timed out" before I can even start. What's up with that?

Give me new powers!
    Jean

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Rashkin View Post
    Oh Lord of Androidom,

Thank you for the details! I can now text with hangouts. Next question: What about the video aspect? It looks like it ought to be like skype. But when My husband calls me on hangouts to video chat, my phone tells me it has "timed out" before I can even start. What's up with that?

Give me new powers!
    Jean
    Power charging time!

I have had that bug too. Timing out refers to how much time the app has spent trying to fetch the data over your data or wifi connection. If it has in fact "timed out" it is because the program has realized it has taken too long to fetch the DATa and aborts.

To fix this either:

Connect over a faster data/wifi network.

Or:, force stop hangouts. Sometimes, a bug will occur where an active video call on one end will prevent the person on the side from ending it. I guess this might happen with answering video calls too.

If it continues to persist, have you and your husband download the speed test app and see how fast your connection speeds are. One connection speed one one side could be causing the problem.

A frosty cheers to you!

Posted via Android Central App