Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default A strange problem with Googledrive

I'm a newbie using GoogleDrive on my Nexus-7 with Android JellieBean, and Win7 on my desktop.
    I have some JPGs that previously worked fine - I put them in a GD subfolder on my PC and they appeared fine on my Nexus, together with a thumbnail.
    I recently added another JPG to the PC folder, but it appears with a strange symbol instead of a thumbnail on the Nexus which, when selected, displays a churning ring for a few seconds before turning into an icon that looks a little like a small piece of paper with a folded corner.
    The following screenshots show the subfolder on the PC, the same folder on the Nexus, and the resulting folded paper icon after selecting the JPG.
    What is going on here please? What is different between the older JPGs and the new one, and how can I make it like the old ones?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A strange problem with Googledrive-gdrivepc.gif   A strange problem with Googledrive-gdriveandpc.gif   A strange problem with Googledrive-gdriveand2.gif  

Default Re: A strange problem with Googledrive

What happens if you tap on the icon?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Nothing at all, it's completely unresponsive. I have to touch the return button to get back to the folder display.
    tgp

Global Posts
    2,720 Global Posts

It has a longer name than the others; maybe there's a limit and it's over that? I have no idea.
    Current lineup: Nexus 5 (primary device), Lumia 920, Moto G, and Lumia 520. There, I did it; I updated my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by tgp View Post
    It has a longer name than the others; maybe there's a limit and it's over that? I have no idea.
    I think the problem may be that there isn't actually a file there.

Yesterday I was trying to upload files from a different device than I started on and it uploaded titles but nothing else. It also wrote data to my device. I don't know what, but I'd say the new photo wasn't uploaded. That's why the thumbnail is empty.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    tgp

Global Posts
    2,720 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    I think the problem may be that there isn't actually a file there.

Yesterday I was trying to upload files from a different device than I started on and it uploaded titles but nothing else. It also wrote data to my device. I don't know what, but I'd say the new photo wasn't uploaded. That's why the thumbnail is empty.
    Good point, I didn't think of that. lemelman, did you right click and check properties (on the PC)? Maybe that would tell you something.
    Current lineup: Nexus 5 (primary device), Lumia 920, Moto G, and Lumia 520. There, I did it; I updated my signature!
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Yes, I checked the properties on the PC and everything is as it should be.
    I did some more investigation. I copied the Dolphin set photo to another folder, renamed it to be Dolphin set copy and then copied it back. As you can see from the screenshot, its exhibiting the same problem, but the original is OK.
    I then discovered that by pressing the button shown, I got the screen shown in the next screenshot where I can press the Open button to see the photo.

So, I can now see the new photo, but what has changed, why can't I see the thumbnails and open the picture as before?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A strange problem with Googledrive-copied.gif   A strange problem with Googledrive-can-now-open.gif