Will jump from Blackberry to Android: Need some help

defcon3

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Hello folks,

I have been waiting for a while to see the proper 4.3 inch GSM Androids and it seems they finally are coming. Not talking of the over-hyped and over-priced Xperia X10 ;)

I know HTC Desire HD is coming end of the month, Motorola Droid X (or Milestone X) in GSM clothing is also coming, so I need to pick between an HTC and a Motorola.

So, I keep reading about how Motorola and HTC have their different "overlays" like Blur and SenseUI. I am wondering what those who already tried can suggest?

Should I consider a Google Dev Nexus 1, which runs the plain Android? Can you turn off the overlays of HTC / Motorola and run plain Android?

Sorry for the mixed thoughts and questions, I have roughly a month to make up my mind before the Desire HD and the Milestone X (or whatever they call it upon release) are on the shelves and wish to be prepared :) :) :)

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!

Q-fugee

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I also moved from BB to Android. The home screen experience is very different but you can find widgets that put all the things you had on your BB start screen on your Android start screen.

Personally, I like Sense over Blur but I don't think it makes much difference. There are so many alternate launchers and associated widgets out there that your handset will end up customized to your needs anyway.

The ability to kill the OEM launcher varies by carrier and what they choose to lock down but you can run an alternate on top of stock without much if any performance hit on most new phones. Worst case, you'll need root to disable the OEM launcher at startup. Beware that some other OE tool you like may need it.

I ran ADW for a while but went back to Sense. You'll get no holy wars from me--it's all a matter of taste and the functions you need.

--Qfg

defcon3

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the input. I get it that whichever brand I pick, I will have similar experience. So, the little fanboy in me could swing things either way :cool::cool::cool:

Cannot wait to put my hands on both Desire HD and Milestone X and buy

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaeros85