Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Is it safe to buy a rooted android?

I was hoping someone could help me. I'm new to smartphones and I found a samsung galaxy nexus android I want to purchase. The only thing is, it's rooted. I seem to read a lot of pro's and con's about this. My main concern is security and the ability to get software updates. Is it a bad idea to buy a used rooted phone? If the person who's selling it to me wasn't careful with their security after they rooted the phone, could I end up with malicious malware on my phone? And is there any way I can unroot the phone?

Any help on this is much appreciated.
  2. Best Answer

Hello,

Only thing I would worry about is the device having a clear ESN/account with the sellers carrier it was assigned to. Otherwise since its a Nexus, obtaining the Google Factory Images and flashing it back to factory stock will take care of cleaning it up and erasing any signs of being rooted and anything the previous owner did.

Default Re: Is it safe to buy a rooted android?

Hello,

Only thing I would worry about is the device having a clear ESN/account with the sellers carrier it was assigned to. Otherwise since its a Nexus, obtaining the Google Factory Images and flashing it back to factory stock will take care of cleaning it up and erasing any signs of being rooted and anything the previous owner did.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks Paul. Just so I understand, this would erase anything malicious that could have gotten on the phone under the previous owner? And if so, how would I go about flashing it back? I'm a novice when it comes to phone technology.

How much is your budget? There's a brand new motorola g cost around $180

And about the rooted phone it's just gaining access to super admin privilege.

Sent from multiple devices using Tapatalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by gdmin View Post
    How much is your budget? There's a brand new motorola g cost around $180

And about the rooted phone it's just gaining access to super admin privilege.

Sent from multiple devices using Tapatalk
    By budget is around $150 and I'd like to use Ting.