Is it safe to buy a rooted android?
I was hoping someone could help me. I'm new to smartphones and I found a samsung galaxy nexus android I want to purchase. The only thing is, it's rooted. I seem to read a lot of pro's and con's about this. My main concern is security and the ability to get software updates. Is it a bad idea to buy a used rooted phone? If the person who's selling it to me wasn't careful with their security after they rooted the phone, could I end up with malicious malware on my phone? And is there any way I can unroot the phone?
Any help on this is much appreciated.
- 01-04-2014, 10:07 PM #2
Re: Is it safe to buy a rooted android?
Only thing I would worry about is the device having a clear ESN/account with the sellers carrier it was assigned to. Otherwise since its a Nexus, obtaining the Google Factory Images and flashing it back to factory stock will take care of cleaning it up and erasing any signs of being rooted and anything the previous owner did.Paul
Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central
- 01-04-2014, 10:25 PM #4
- By xyzlene in forum Droid RAZR MAXX HDReplies: 4Last Post: 01-28-2014, 05:14 PM
- By Derek Gammage in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)Replies: 2Last Post: 01-10-2014, 01:07 PM
- By zaydabarber in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 2Replies: 3Last Post: 01-06-2014, 12:59 AM
- By Lucas Barbosa in forum Samsung Galaxy S4Replies: 0Last Post: 01-04-2014, 09:58 PM
- By ljxdaly in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)Replies: 4Last Post: 01-04-2014, 09:40 PM