Play store hangs and hangs

2Fredsone

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I have developed a real problem downloading apps.
When I go to the play store select apps>type the app name>select the app I want>select download>accept permissions then the pre-download process starts (the step where the download progress bar appears) but it never steps to the actual download of the data (I actually tried leaving it for 2 hours and it sated at the pre-download process).
I do have a slow data connection, but I reason that if I can get to the actual download step then the data speed must be sufficient (it always was).
Any Ideas?

Regards...

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I am always on a great connection and I have it hang once and awhile as well. I think that if it gets disconnected at any point, it just hangs.

Short of that, I would try to clear cache and data on the play store to see if that helps

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Make sure you haven't disabled Download Manager for whatever reason. Go to Settings/Apps/All, and look for Download Manager. If you don't see it, scroll all the way down, and see if it is among the Disabled apps. If so, tap it, then tap Enable.

On Jellybean and KitKat, there may be a separate Disabled category in Settings/Apps.

Posted via Android Central App

2Fredsone

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi
Thanks for the suggestions... unfortunately there wasn't any improvement
I have given up on the plastore app and am now using Firefox to get to the playstore and download what I wanted.

Regards.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What device do you have? It may be worth wiping the system cache partition in the Recovery Menu, if that's an option.

2Fredsone

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi B. Diddy
I have a Zopo 990.
I am not sure what the system cache partition in the Recovery Menu is... I am guessing that it is not the Cached data function in the System>Storage options.
I am wondering if the problem was caused by a number of app updates which occurred 3 days ago.
I had backed the 990 up with helium, Am I correct that Helium also backs up apps and app data?
Unfortunately I cant get helium to work on my computer at the moment, so I am looking into that.... Phew don't I love tech :)

2Fredsone

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Ahhh
I have found the "Wipe Cache Partition" function.
Are there any concerns with wiping the cache partition, or is it safe(ish)? :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The system cache partition is where various temporary system data is stored, including logfiles, downloaded installer files from Google Play, and other stuff. It's not normally accessible from the main user interface. Sometimes, this data that builds up might bog things down, or cause some problems outright. Wiping the system cache partition can correct some of these problems, and will not cause any loss of personal data or settings. So give it a try--just make sure you're choosing "wipe cache partition," not "wipe data/factory reset."

2Fredsone

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi
Thanks for the input B. Didy.
I have cleared the Cache Partition and have just downloaded an app via the Play Store, so it looks like your tip worked, danke.
It was all very simple really wasn't it :)

P.s. Should someone else come looking for the same solution on a Zopo ZP990, I found the "Recovery Menu, Wipe Cache Partition" function with the following steps;
1) Power down the ZP990
2) Connect the 990 to USB charger/computer
3) Restart the 990 by holding the power button and the volume UP rocker.

Note; restarting the 990 by holding the power button and the volume down rocker will start the device in Chinese Recovery Menu mode. So if you cant read Chinese you will not know which of the options will return the 990 to its normal functions (I got lucky and didn't inadvertently select the "wipe data/factory reset" option).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks--it is extremely helpful that you posted the process of getting to the Recovery Menu on your phone. When I did a quick search beforehand, I couldn't find that easily. Good job!:)

JoeBtfsplk

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I've been having problems updating for a long time with my Galaxy Nexus (running CM11) and clearing the Download Manager didn't help. But going to TWRP recovery and (with trepidation) clearing cache and Dalvik cache cleared it up. Many thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user