Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android Is Sluggish

My wife and I both use Samsung Rugby Androids and they both seem really
    sluggish to answer when given a command. There is a long hesitation between
    pushing a button and getting the phone to react.
    Is there a way to achieve an overall speed-up on this phone?

Regards,
    Len
    Regards,
    Len

Default Re: Android Is Sluggish

The issue is likely Samsung's very heavy software on low end hardware. Uninstall and/or disable some apps or do a hard reset or just deal with it.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by djlen View Post
    My wife and I both use Samsung Rugby Androids and they both seem really
    sluggish to answer when given a command. There is a long hesitation between
    pushing a button and getting the phone to react.
    Is there a way to achieve an overall speed-up on this phone?

Regards,
    Len
    Have you tried installing clean master from the app store it might be because your phones cache needs cleaning...

sent from my Nexus 7 using tapatalk pro..
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    The issue is likely Samsung's very heavy software on low end hardware. Uninstall and/or disable some apps or do a hard reset or just deal with it.

Well I guess I'll have to deal with it because there are not a lot of excess apps. running on the phone. But I will check out Clean Master
    and see what that's all about.
    Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
    Regards,
    Len

Does it speed up a bit after rebooting?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Does it speed up a bit after rebooting?
    Yes it does......for a while. I turn it off at night just because it seems to run better after the re-organization the
    re-boot creates. But it's really only temporary. The lag time is sometimes maddening, especially when I get a text
    message and wait for texting to open. Why?
    Regards,
    Len

Global Posts
    22,226 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Yes it does......for a while. I turn it off at night just because it seems to run better after the re-organization the
    re-boot creates. But it's really only temporary. The lag time is sometimes maddening, especially when I get a text
    message and wait for texting to open. Why?
    It is TouchWiz, the skinned version of Android. It can get lag especially on lower end devices. You can try installing a launcher from Play. That might help with some of the lag.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    B. Diddy likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I have not installed anything called TouchWiz. Never heard of it until now.
    Is there no cure for the lag time on this device?
    Regards,
    Len

Global Posts
    22,226 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Its Samsung's version of Android. The way the skin works is it can cause lag when opening applications. Have you tried rebooting into recovery to clear cache?

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    B. Diddy likes this.

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Like Golfdriver said. It comes with the phone, so unless you flash another ROM it probably won't get any better

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Trying an alternative launcher is a good idea. Launchers are essentially the homescreen interface--there are a number of alternatives available, and some can improve performance, because they're more lightweight (TouchWiz requires a lot of memory, and really needs a fairly powerful processor in order to function smoothly). Try installing Nova Launcher.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Depending on which version of Rugby you have, if you have the first version (i847) it only run Android Gingerbread, which I don't think Nova Launcher is compatible with. In which case, try Smart Launcher or Holo Launcher instead.

If you run a newer Rugby (i547) that run Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, there is a feature to disable system apps so they won't run in the background. If your phone run Android 4.0+, I would: backup everything, factory reset the phone, disable system apps, install a third party launcher like Nova Launcher.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    Depending on which version of Rugby you have, if you have the first version (i847) it only run Android Gingerbread, which I don't think Nova Launcher is compatible with. In which case, try Smart Launcher or Holo Launcher instead.

If you run a newer Rugby (i547) that run Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, there is a feature to disable system apps so they won't run in the background. If your phone run Android 4.0+, I would: backup everything, factory reset the phone, disable system apps, install a third party launcher like Nova Launcher.
    Thanks--you're correct, Nova Launcher requires Android 4.0 or above.

Global Posts
    22,226 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

ADW launcher will work for Android 1.6 to 4.1

Phone Timeline
    B. Diddy likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    ADW launcher will work for Android 1.6 to 4.1

Will my phone is Android vers. 2.3.6 Can it be use with that version?
    Regards,
    Len

Global Posts
    22,226 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Will my phone is Android vers. 2.3.6 Can it be use with that version?
    Yes. ADW isn't a bad launcher. I just prefer Nova over it.

Phone Timeline
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I can use either Launcher Pro or Touch Wiz. Which is better or should I get both and switch to see which is better? I can do
    that, right?
    Regards,
    Len

Yes, you can always switch the default launcher. KitKat has an actual System Setting that allows you to choose your launcher, but on earlier versions of Android, what you need to do is go to Settings>Apps (or the App Manager on Samsung devices), find the launcher (e.g., Launcher Pro), tap it and tap Clear Defaults. Then the next time you press the Home button, it will ask you which launcher you want to run, and you can select the other one as default.

Golfdriver97 likes this.

I can use either Launcher Pro or Touch Wiz. Which is better or should I get both and switch to see which is better? I can do
    that, right?
    I don't recommended LauncherPro, its outdated and no longer developed. Try Apex Launcher, Smart Launcher or Holo Launcher.

Global Posts
    22,226 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    I don't recommended LauncherPro, its outdated and no longer developed. Try Apex Launcher, Smart Launcher or Holo Launcher.
    Apex requires 4.0.3, so it won't work. The other two should, 2.1 and 2.2, respectively.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

I am looking at Holo, ADW, and Nova Launcher, due to the fact that they are highly rated, very popular and FREE!!
    If I install (and I know these are very naive questions) both of them, I can switch back and forth to test drive each, correct?
    They will not have any affect on my already installed applications, correct? The most important one is SwiftKey keyboard.
    I love that app. But there are others and they all will remain in place or is there a bunch of configuring I have to do once installed?
    And I"m assuming that any of these will aid in the sluggish issue this thread is all about?
    Thanks guys for all this help. It is really appreciated.
    Regards,
    Len

Global Posts
    22,226 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I am looking at Holo, ADW, and Nova Launcher, due to the fact that they are highly rated, very popular and FREE!!
    If I install (and I know these are very naive questions) both of them, I can switch back and forth to test drive each, correct?
    They will not have any affect on my already installed applications, correct? The most important one is SwiftKey keyboard.
    I love that app. But there are others and they all will remain in place or is there a bunch of configuring I have to do once installed?
    And I"m assuming that any of these will aid in the sluggish issue this thread is all about?
    You are right. Every time you click Home, as long as you don't hit Always, it will keep asking which launcher to use.

Phone Timeline

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

You can go back to the default launcher by going into your settings and resetting app preferences

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

A new launcher can only do so much.... You have old, underpowered phones running 2014 apps on a 2010 framework. Short of rooting and installing custom roms (not for the fasting of heart!), there's not much you can do.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    A new launcher can only do so much.... You have old, underpowered phones running 2014 apps on a 2010 framework. Short of rooting and installing custom roms (not for the fasting of heart!), there's not much you can do.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    OK, so how much will this do to speed up the phone(s)?. I can't change the framework at this point. So I'm wondering
    if it's worth it to go to the trouble of installing these launchers if the end result will be minimal. What do you think?
    Now, the phones are both workable. Just a little sluggish.
    Today I disabled a few unnecessary apps. that were running and did notice a slight increase in speed.
    Regards,
    Len