Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rukbat
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Restoring a Nandroid after a JTAG repair

Alright, so I hardbricked my I747M from Rogers phone after trying to flash a different models bootloader... but thankfully I made a nandroid on my extSD Card right before.

I am getting it repaired from my local JTAG guy and it's either going to be running 4.1.2 (last time it was at 4.1.2) or the latest 4.3 update from Rogers. (I have no idea which version it will be)

How do I take the steps to restore the nandroid I have on my extSD Card to my phone without bricking?

Do I flash CWM and just restore from there? Or do I have to flash the latest bootloaders and then restore through CWM?

Thank you guys in advance for the help

Global Posts
    22,270 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Restoring a Nandroid after a JTAG repair

Quote Originally Posted by juanhbk1 View Post
    Alright, so I hardbricked my I747M from Rogers phone after trying to flash a different models bootloader... but thankfully I made a nandroid on my extSD Card right before.

I am getting it repaired from my local JTAG guy and it's either going to be running 4.1.2 (last time it was at 4.1.2) or the latest 4.3 update from Rogers. (I have no idea which version it will be)

How do I take the steps to restore the nandroid I have on my extSD Card to my phone without bricking?

Do I flash CWM and just restore from there? Or do I have to flash the latest bootloaders and then restore through CWM?

Thank you guys in advance for the help
    Welcome to the forums.
    You should be able to flash just CWM, then restore your Nandroid.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the help! Long time lurker and finally got a problem I couldn't solve myself.

So the worst thing that could happen right now if I flash CWM and restore the nandroid is a soft bricked device? I'm okay with trying whatever, I just don't want to end up with a hard bricked device.

Can you also point me to the updated bootloader for the Canadian S3? Or do I even need it?

Thanks again for the help

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Thanks for the help! Long time lurker and finally got a problem I couldn't solve myself.

So the worst thing that could happen right now if I flash CWM and restore the nandroid is a soft bricked device? I'm okay with trying whatever, I just don't want to end up with a hard bricked device.

Can you also point me to the updated bootloader for the Canadian S3? Or do I even need it?

Thanks again for the help
    Yeah, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Worst case scenario it's soft-bricked or fails to flash.
    What do you mean by latest bootloader?

Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Yeah, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Worst case scenario it's soft-bricked or fails to flash.
    What do you mean by latest bootloader?

Before I could upgrade my S3 to a KitKat rom, I recall I had to update my bootloader, but if you say I don't have to then I'll just try flashing CWM with Odin and restoring my Nandroid.

Thanks for the help and I'll come back in a few hours with the results.

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Before I could upgrade my S3 to a KitKat rom, I recall I had to update my bootloader, but if you say I don't have to then I'll just try flashing CWM with Odin and restoring my Nandroid.

Thanks for the help and I'll come back in a few hours with the results.
    Update or unlock it? Never heard of updating the bootloader O_o

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Okay, well let's say I unlocked it, would I need to unlock it again before restoring the nandroid? Or would flashing CWM do the trick?

Global Posts
    22,270 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Normally would update with the OS.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, well let's say I unlocked it, would I need to unlock it again before restoring the nandroid? Or would flashing CWM do the trick?
    I would assume so, yes.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

I don't know, that depends on what they did with the phone. Not sure exactly what the JTAG does, but I'd try and unlock it just in case

Global Posts
    6,163 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

JTAG basically force-feeds the firmware to storage without regard for whether the phone is soft-bricked, hard-bricked or even in a tight loop with interrupts disabled.

But, remember, 4.3 is a bit tighter locked-down than 4.2. It may not be that easy to Odin a CWM to it. I have no idea what Rogers did. (AT&T and Verizon welded it shut. No custom recovery yet, and no real way to flash a ROM. At least it can still be rooted.)
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    JTAG basically force-feeds the firmware to storage without regard for whether the phone is soft-bricked, hard-bricked or even in a tight loop with interrupts disabled.

But, remember, 4.3 is a bit tighter locked-down than 4.2. It may not be that easy to Odin a CWM to it. I have no idea what Rogers did. (AT&T and Verizon welded it shut. No custom recovery yet, and no real way to flash a ROM. At least it can still be rooted.)
    So it's basically doing what flashing a stock ROM would do? Would that re-lock the bootloader?

Global Posts
    22,270 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

So it's basically doing what flashing a stock ROM would do? Would that re-lock the bootloader?

Kinda more like an ADB push. Forcefully. But even JTAG has limitations. They don't always work.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Kinda more like an ADB push. Forcefully. But even JTAG has limitations. They don't always work.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    If it works for him though, would he have to unlock again? I'm a noob XD

Global Posts
    22,270 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

If it works for him though, would he have to unlock again? I'm a noob XD

Not sure. Never had to use one.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Phone Timeline