Two devices on google account??

pinkwish

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi - firstly i'm no techy... i usually just muddle my way thru some of the simpler things!! oh and i'm brand new to android too. Can anyone tell me how to set up a second device on my google play account/email? I have purchased two cheapy brand tablets for my little kids and want to be able to install different apps on them. I can't find how to set this up. I have turned of sync apps. Thanx in advance

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi - firstly i'm no techy... i usually just muddle my way thru some of the simpler things!! oh and i'm brand new to android too. Can anyone tell me how to set up a second device on my google play account/email? I have purchased two cheapy brand tablets for my little kids and want to be able to install different apps on them. I can't find how to set this up. I have turned of sync apps. Thanx in advance

You just add your gmail on the second device and choose which apps to install.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Wizzrah's way is possible. I do that. My Moto X and Nexus 5 are on the same Gmail and have a variance of apps installed.

pinkwish

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I did that but it keeps adding apps from one tablet to the other. I have boy games on one device and girl games on the other, but then i also want some of the same learning apps that i have paid for on both devices. When in google play it only lists the one device - which i have nicknamed (E's tablet) but i can't work out how to add and name the second device so that i can install them onto each tablet. When i plug in S's tablet it thinks it's E's tablet and updates with the apps i put on hers! (i hope this makes sense.......):)

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I did that but it keeps adding apps from one tablet to the other. I have boy games on one device and girl games on the other, but then i also want some of the same learning apps that i have paid for on both devices. When in google play it only lists the one device - which i have nicknamed (E's tablet) but i can't work out how to add and name the second device so that i can install them onto each tablet. When i plug in S's tablet it thinks it's E's tablet and updates with the apps i put on hers! (i hope this makes sense.......):)

The paid apps should be installable on the other tablet. Will it take too long if you uninstall the apps you don't want on the tablet, one-by-one? Can you change the sync settings in the settings menu on the tablet or in the play store? I'm also assuming both tablets are different models/brands?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I think the catch here is Play identifies by OEM and model number. So since you have 2 identical devices, it can't tell which is which.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Maybe thats the problem.... they are the same brand and model. PS i love the quotes on your profile wizzrah!

Ah, I think Golfdriver97 is on to something then. And yeah, anime and music have some pretty good quotes that really fit with the world we live in :)

BTW Spike Spiegel is the character in my profile pic!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Even if both tablets are under the same Google account, you should be able to select which apps you want to install on either. Go to Settings>Backup & Reset, and uncheck "Automatic Restore." I wonder if that might be causing the other tablet to install what you put on the first tablet.

The Google Play website should list the separate devices. For example, I have about 5 different devices all under one Google account, and I can select any one of those devices specifically for an app to install if I'm on the website. On the Google Play website, tap the gear button at the upper right, then Settings, then review all of the devices listed--do you see both of your kids' tablets?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Even if both tablets are under the same Google account, you should be able to select which apps you want to install on either. Go to Settings>Backup & Reset, and uncheck "Automatic Restore." I wonder if that might be causing the other tablet to install what you put on the first tablet.

The Google Play website should list the separate devices. For example, I have about 5 different devices all under one Google account, and I can select any one of those devices specifically for an app to install if I'm on the website. On the Google Play website, tap the gear button at the upper right, then Settings, then review all of the devices listed--do you see both of your kids' tablets?

Yeah, I can select individual devices as well, and only my One X (with a custom rom) has the automatic restore feature. I just assumed that not all devices had it I guess. I should my Nexus 7 as well...

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think I realized something...

Attachments

• 1389058045209.jpg
    1389058045209.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 4

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If the box right above the install button is what you mean then click on the box. It will have a drop down menu.

Attachments

• 1389058099059.jpg
    1389058099059.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome