Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Two devices on google account??

Hi - firstly i'm no techy... i usually just muddle my way thru some of the simpler things!! oh and i'm brand new to android too. Can anyone tell me how to set up a second device on my google play account/email? I have purchased two cheapy brand tablets for my little kids and want to be able to install different apps on them. I can't find how to set this up. I have turned of sync apps. Thanx in advance
  2. Best Answer

Quote Originally Posted by pinkwish View Post
    Hi - firstly i'm no techy... i usually just muddle my way thru some of the simpler things!! oh and i'm brand new to android too. Can anyone tell me how to set up a second device on my google play account/email? I have purchased two cheapy brand tablets for my little kids and want to be able to install different apps on them. I can't find how to set this up. I have turned of sync apps. Thanx in advance
    You just add your gmail on the second device and choose which apps to install.

Global Posts
    4,619 Global Posts
    ROM
    I'M RUNNING STOCK BABY!

Default Re: Two devices on google account??

You just add your gmail on the second device and choose which apps to install.

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

ROM
    SlimKat

Wizzrah's way is possible. I do that. My Moto X and Nexus 5 are on the same Gmail and have a variance of apps installed.

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry

Global Posts
    4,619 Global Posts
    ROM
    I'M RUNNING STOCK BABY!

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Wizzrah's way is possible. I do that. My Moto X and Nexus 5 are on the same Gmail and have a variance of apps installed.
    Plus I think the play store saves a list of apps you installed, correct?
    So you can choose from there as well.

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln

ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

Quote Originally Posted by wizzrah View Post
    Plus I think the play store saves a list of apps you installed, correct?
    So you can choose from there as well.
    That is correct

Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2
    Thanked by:
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I did that but it keeps adding apps from one tablet to the other. I have boy games on one device and girl games on the other, but then i also want some of the same learning apps that i have paid for on both devices. When in google play it only lists the one device - which i have nicknamed (E's tablet) but i can't work out how to add and name the second device so that i can install them onto each tablet. When i plug in S's tablet it thinks it's E's tablet and updates with the apps i put on hers! (i hope this makes sense.......)

Global Posts
    4,619 Global Posts
    ROM
    I'M RUNNING STOCK BABY!

I did that but it keeps adding apps from one tablet to the other. I have boy games on one device and girl games on the other, but then i also want some of the same learning apps that i have paid for on both devices. When in google play it only lists the one device - which i have nicknamed (E's tablet) but i can't work out how to add and name the second device so that i can install them onto each tablet. When i plug in S's tablet it thinks it's E's tablet and updates with the apps i put on hers! (i hope this makes sense.......)
    The paid apps should be installable on the other tablet. Will it take too long if you uninstall the apps you don't want on the tablet, one-by-one? Can you change the sync settings in the settings menu on the tablet or in the play store? I'm also assuming both tablets are different models/brands?

Thanked by:

ROM
    SlimKat

I think the catch here is Play identifies by OEM and model number. So since you have 2 identical devices, it can't tell which is which.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Thanked by 2:
    Rukbat likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Maybe thats the problem.... they are the same brand and model. PS i love the quotes on your profile wizzrah!
    Thanked by:
    wizzrah likes this.

Global Posts
    4,619 Global Posts
    ROM
    I'M RUNNING STOCK BABY!

Maybe thats the problem.... they are the same brand and model. PS i love the quotes on your profile wizzrah!
    Ah, I think Golfdriver97 is on to something then. And yeah, anime and music have some pretty good quotes that really fit with the world we live in

BTW Spike Spiegel is the character in my profile pic!

Golfdriver97 likes this.

Even if both tablets are under the same Google account, you should be able to select which apps you want to install on either. Go to Settings>Backup & Reset, and uncheck "Automatic Restore." I wonder if that might be causing the other tablet to install what you put on the first tablet.

The Google Play website should list the separate devices. For example, I have about 5 different devices all under one Google account, and I can select any one of those devices specifically for an app to install if I'm on the website. On the Google Play website, tap the gear button at the upper right, then Settings, then review all of the devices listed--do you see both of your kids' tablets?
    wizzrah likes this.

Global Posts
    4,619 Global Posts
    ROM
    I'M RUNNING STOCK BABY!

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Even if both tablets are under the same Google account, you should be able to select which apps you want to install on either. Go to Settings>Backup & Reset, and uncheck "Automatic Restore." I wonder if that might be causing the other tablet to install what you put on the first tablet.

The Google Play website should list the separate devices. For example, I have about 5 different devices all under one Google account, and I can select any one of those devices specifically for an app to install if I'm on the website. On the Google Play website, tap the gear button at the upper right, then Settings, then review all of the devices listed--do you see both of your kids' tablets?
    Yeah, I can select individual devices as well, and only my One X (with a custom rom) has the automatic restore feature. I just assumed that not all devices had it I guess. I should my Nexus 7 as well...

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

No there is only one, how do i get the second one there?

Global Posts
    4,619 Global Posts
    ROM
    I'M RUNNING STOCK BABY!

If both tablets are the same, it probably thinks it's the same device then.

ROM
    SlimKat

I think I realized something...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Two devices on google account??-1389058045209.jpg  

Global Posts
    4,619 Global Posts
    ROM
    I'M RUNNING STOCK BABY!

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I think I realized something...

Yeah, but that's via the desktop. I guess he can try that!

ROM
    SlimKat

If the box right above the install button is what you mean then click on the box. It will have a drop down menu.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Two devices on google account??-1389058099059.jpg  

ROM
    SlimKat

No there is only one, how do i get the second one there?
    Is the above pictures kind of what you are talking about?

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Hi, yeah i've checked that, and No i can only see the one device
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Exacly... it only has the one (E's) device there

ROM
    SlimKat

Exacly... it only has the one (E's) device there
    OK. Have you checked if both devices are visible? Meaning have you gone to Play on your PC, clicked the gear icon then clicked Settings and checked if both devices have check boxes under visibility to show in menus?

23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

yep i've been on the pc the whole time, it only shows the one. I was hoping they would both be there, i can name each of them and then just select which tablet i want the app to load onto, but it seems thats not working. I beginning to think i'm just going to have to do this the long way and load each app individually on each tablet with wifi

Global Posts
    4,619 Global Posts
    ROM
    I'M RUNNING STOCK BABY!

yep i've been on the pc the whole time, it only shows the one. I was hoping they would both be there, i can name each of them and then just select which tablet i want the app to load onto, but it seems thats not working. I beginning to think i'm just going to have to do this the long way and load each app individually on each tablet with wifi
    I thought you said that it was automatically syncing the apps?

25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

yeah it is. While i had one sitting on the bench charging it was loading the apps i was putting on the other one connected to the pc. I turned off sync so this wouldn't happen again. But each time i plug tablet E back to the pc because it thinks they are the same device it updates with all the apps i have on tablet S

That just seems wrong. Even if they're the exact same model, I would expect Google Play to be able to distinguish between them based on serial number or some other unique identifier. You might want to consider removing the Google account from both devices, and adding the account back, to see if the issue resolves itself. You might lose app data, though, like saved games.
    Thanked by:
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast