1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Any chance I can get some help with data migration from one Android device to another?

Hey

Hope this is the right subforum for my question...

I've alread read a number of tutorials and threads on this topic, but I'm still confused. Maybe I can get some help here.

The goal: data migration from my Nexus 4 to my Nexus 5.

The problem: Other than the Google apps that can be re-installed with previous user data, all other apps lack my previous data when installed on my new phone.

The details: My phone isn't rooted, and I'd prefer to find a solution that doesn't require rooting. I've already tried the often recommended app MyBackup Pro, however it looks like it only makes a backup (and restores) the app, without the user data, on an unrooted phone.

My question: Any recommendation how to achieve the goal? Did anyone try the "Helium" app. Does it do what I want to, copy the user data along?

Alternatively, I read somewhere that you can make a complete backup of your phone's storage through the ADK. Would that be helpful in my case?

Last remark: Ideally I would copy *all* user data over to my new phone, but if that's not realistic/too much hassle, the data that I would *really* hate to lose is the following: my old SMS and my old Whatsapp conversations. So if there's a more narrow solution only for those two items, I'd still like to hear it.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Any chance I can get some help with data migration from one Android device to another?

Hey again

I waited two days, so I hope it's okay that I give it one bump now:

Can anyone help me with my question?

Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Any chance I can get some help with data migration from one Android device to another?

Quote Originally Posted by indaglop View Post
    Hey again

I waited two days, so I hope it's okay that I give it one bump now:

Can anyone help me with my question?
    Welcome! Thanks for being patient while waiting for an answer. I have no used Helium, but would suggest it as a lot of people with unrooted devices have had success with it. You do need to have a computer to use alongside the App since you are not rooted - this is how it will make a backup of the Apps, with data, and install to your new phone.

It should also be able to copy your sms and same with WhatsApp, provided WhatsApp saves the data within the App. Take a look at Helium and see if it's something you can use: & .

Let us know if you have any questions!

Edit: The App used to be called Carbon, so ignore the title on the first link as it's actually Helium.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Hey. Thanks for your answer.

I tried Helium (formerly: Carbon), and at the risk of sounding like fanboy... It works! It actually works!!!

Seriously, after so many attempts I really didn't expect that. None of the other solutions worked on my unrooted phones, but Helium does. Huge relieve, really... Data migration finally underway.

Thanks again for the recommendation.